DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada No-fly zones map https://nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/

Kajtek

Reactions
I encourage all Canadian users to e-mail [email protected] and cc to [email protected] and request that they mark all no-fly zones on their map at Drone site selection tool - National Research Council Canada Now they have also a mobile app. . Right now there are a lot of no-fly zones that are not marked, like Provincial Parks for example. It would be useful for planning to have a map with all no-fly zones. I wrote to them and asked them to add all no-fly zones and their answer was that I could contact provincial parks for permission, which was not my request or question. Maybe if there will be many requests, they will do it. With so many restrictions and their expectation that we follow the rules we deserve a good map with no-fly zones.

I encourage all Canadian users to e-mail [email protected] and cc to [email protected] and request that they mark all no-fly zones on their map at Drone site selection tool - National Research Council Canada Now they have also a mobile app. . Right now there are a lot of no-fly zones that are not marked, like Provincial Parks for example. It would be useful for planning to have a map with all no-fly zones. I wrote to them and asked them to add all no-fly zones and their answer was that I could contact provincial parks for permission, which was not my request or question. Maybe if there will be many requests, they will do it. With so many restrictions and their expectation that we follow the rules we deserve a good map with no-fly zones.
I case you did not study enough, Provincial Parks are not on the list of NFZ's It is illegally to take off and land in a provincial park but I live right beside one and fly right from my back door over to it and take as much video and photos I want. Fly overs are perfectly legal. I then land back in my back yard and is perfectly legal as long as I had VLOS with my drone which I do. I suggest you really need to educate yourself to the rules before posting wrong information.

Reactions: lowellton
In most cases, individuals are not permitted to operate (i.e. land) an “aircraft” in a provincial park under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act (PPCRA) with the exception of where an Aircraft Landing Authorization has been issued by the Park Superintendent in a provincial park listed under Section 33 of the PPCRA, Ontario Regulation 347/07. In other words one may take off and land outside a park, and can fly over so long as visual sight is maintained.

Reactions: lowellton
I case you did not study enough, Provincial Parks are not on the list of NFZ's It is illegally to take off and land in a provincial park but I live right beside one and fly right from my back door over to it and take as much video and photos I want. Fly overs are perfectly legal. I then land back in my back yard and is perfectly legal as long as I had VLOS with my drone which I do. I suggest you really need to educate yourself to the rules before posting wrong information.
I studied enough and this is not my question and request. When I plan I would like to use a map that will clearly mark all zones where flying is restricted, not just some of them, otherwise, the map is not very useful. I would like to know the boundaries.

Reactions: Airbeaver
I studied enough and this is not my question and request. When I plan I would like to use a map that will clearly mark all zones where flying is restricted, not just some of them, otherwise, the map is not very useful. I would like to know the boundaries.
I have no problem with Transport Canadas maps for NFZ at all. Like I said educate yourself where you can fly and you will not have a problem.

I know it does not solve your initial request but the Drone Pilot Canada app is far better than anything our Government has put out. The app is a little pricey in my mind at $50 but it seems they are committed to updating it frequently.

Reactions: Zbip57
I have no problem with Transport Canadas maps for NFZ at all. Like I said educate yourself where you can fly and you will not have a problem.
I think you do not understand my request. I can search some other maps where provincial parks are then another map for no fly zones, but I would like to have one map with all areas mapped. It is more convenient, like going to a superstore instead of going to different small stores. I have however no problem if you like to spend more time inspecting different maps.

I know it does not solve your initial request but the Drone Pilot Canada app is far better than anything our Government has put out. The app is a little pricey in my mind at $50 but it seems they are committed to updating it frequently.
I think that government should provide this for us, We pay high taxes, pay for drone registration and exams and expect some good service. They make regulations where one cannot fly

I think that government should provide this for us, We pay high taxes, pay for drone registration and exams and expect some good service. They make regulations where one cannot fly

I agree that it would be nice to have a better app or site but the Government almost never gets anything right the first time around. The information is available just not in a easy format. The app also doesn't cover NOTAMs. It just says there is a NOTAM but no details on it. As far as the government is concerned if the info is available somehow then they are happy most of the time.

Buy the App called "Drone Pilot"
It has all the provincial parks shaded in blue. When you click on the park it will give you a message stating authorization is needed from the park superintendent. I have never had a problem getting permission when I did my video of how the parks changed through the seasons. Your asking Transport Canada to make them NFZ's when they are not. Don't ask for something that clearly will not be of benefit if that ever happens. Its not hard to figure out where provincial parks are.
Screenshot_20210804-094930_Drone Canada1.jpg

So I'm planning a trip to Western Canada when it opens for US folk. I like what you said about flying into provincial parks from outside the park. That will be awesome. Do you happen to know, can you do the same for National Parks there?

So I'm planning a trip to Western Canada when it opens for US folk. I like what you said about flying into provincial parks from outside the park. That will be awesome. Do you happen to know, can you do the same for National Parks there?
No you cannot and being an American you will need to fill out a ton of paper work. You will Need SFOC that neds to be approved by Transport Canada. The turn around time can be anywhere from one month to three months so get it in early.

National and Provincial Parks are no drone zones. You can apply for special permission for commercial purposes only and need to prove environmental stewardship. Many parks have protected bird populations and other wildlife that have had issues with drones in the past. That is what led to this mandate across all of the parks. The no drone zone applies to all classes of drones. Not many people can launch from outside a park and maintain VLOS without trespassing on non public property. Just depends on where the park is.

Technically you can fly over the park unless the airspace is classified anything over G which none of them are as far as I know. However if your drone causes issues in the park then you could get in trouble regardless. Even if you launch/land in the park the worst that can happen aside from environmental charges if you cause problems is a trespass charge and a park ban.

No you cannot and being an American you will need to fill out a ton of paper work. You will Need SFOC that neds to be approved by Transport Canada. The turn around time can be anywhere from one month to three months so get it in early.
OK thanks, I will just have to fly the provincials like you do and otherwise fly the State parks in the US, i.e. no rules there. Worth asking. I'm also sure there are plenty of beautiful mountains outside any parks to fly in Canada. Thanks again my Canadian friend.

I think you do not understand my request. I can search some other maps where provincial parks are then another map for no fly zones, but I would like to have one map with all areas mapped. It is more convenient,...
I hear ya.

If you grew up as a kid flying model airplanes in your backyard or at your cottage or in any empty farm field, it's a really huge challenge in your old age to suddenly have your government tell you that you're now a pilot like any other 747 captain, expected to be able to pass a test every two years asking questions about de-icing fluid, how to interpret METAR weather reports, NOTAMS, aeronautical sectional charts, controlled airspace, how many hours after scuba diving it's safe to fly in an airplane, etc. Sheesh.

It's as though you grew up and spent all your life riding bicycles, until suddenly being told you now must have a driver's licence to continue riding that bicycle, but to get the licence you first need to pass a test in which you are expected to demonstrate knowledge of how a tractor trailer's air-brake system works. All of which would actually make way more sense than mst drone regulations, since statisticly far more people have been killed by trucks while riding their bicycles than by anyone operating recreational multirotors... But, I digress.

Initially you were even expected to pay a subscription fee to purchase the charts and airport indexes and regulation updates, etc. Transport Canada is only very slowly making it easier to find sources for the information required to pass their RPAS tests.

All that said, the very best app available (in Canada) is the Drone Pilot Canada app. Yes, there is small initial cost, but there have been multiple free upgrades and it keeps getting better all the time. It does show National and Provincial Parks. The latest update now also shows active NOTAMS. Clicking on any area brings up details explaining why it's marked and who to contact for more information if required. This app is far and away the best showing everything you need to know in one app, much better than any of the current Gov't provided multiple sources.

Here Don explains the latest update to the Drone Pilot Canada app, which now shows active NOTAMS.

You should read this page here if you plan on bringing drone with you to Canada
One thing to note, all of those restrictions for foreign operators (non-Canadian) apply to Basic or Advanced operations. Under 250grams are not affected.

Foreign Operators are permitted to fly drones if they're under 250grams without going through the tedious SFOC process. The only rule that applies is the same one that historically applied to all model aircraft, which is:

CARS 900.06

Reckless or Negligent Operation​

900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

There are other restrictions which still apply equally to ALL aircraft operations (including sub 250 gram). Don (again) describes it well in this video:

I agree that it would be nice to have a better app or site but the Government almost never gets anything right the first time around. The information is available just not in a easy format. The app also doesn't cover NOTAMs. It just says there is a NOTAM but no details on it. As far as the government is concerned if the info is available somehow then they are happy most of the time.
I agree, but I think that putting pressure sometimes works. If many of us would write and request it may work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato