DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Laws to get Stricter (Licences & Insurance requirements!)

kiwi flyer

Reactions
So, I'm looking at my the Mavic to be my first drone like a lot of people. Unfortunately I heard on the radio today about the laws possibly being changed in Canada for drone use.

The following article highlights that they want to implement licences and insurance for recreational drone flyers of drones bigger than 250grams

Transport Canada is proposing that anyone flying a drone bigger than a tiny toy should have to register their devices, pass a knowledge test and pay for liability insurance, CBC News has learned.

Drone knowledge testing 'to avoid disaster' part of Transport Canada rules proposal

Any seasoned Canadian flyers here have comments ?

So, I'm looking at my the Mavic to be my first drone like a lot of people. Unfortunately I heard on the radio today about the laws possibly being changed in Canada for drone use.

The following article highlights that they want to implement licences and insurance for recreational drone flyers of drones bigger than 250grams

Drone knowledge testing 'to avoid disaster' part of Transport Canada rules proposal

Any seasoned Canadian flyers here have comments ?
GREAT just as I apply for a VISA....:(

Although to be fair I sort of agree....

GREAT just as I apply for a VISA....:(

Although to be fair I sort of agree....

As long as the insurance is *reasonable*. The insurance industry here in Ontario is just silly when it comes to automotiveémotorcycle insurance.

Insurance is based on statistics so I think there is a lot more motor vehicle claims per year than drone crashes. Also most motor policies are covering the deaths too.....

In the US a few companies have popped up with "Insurance by the hour" service. You pay for as many hours you want for when you decide to fly. Quite an interesting concept.

Anyone want to dig into the regs and what's coming
Canadian Air Regulations . . this is CARS as it stands now

Lots of reading there but PART VI is the main part to consider as a pilot and 623 is about Special Flight Operations Certificates You have to go all the way down to the bottom of that page Division IV to fine UAV ops and that's the part they are proposing adding to the CARS regs in Canada next summer (june 2017)

I'm not totally familiar with all the paras but this web page will give you some context for UAV ops in Canada for Commercial or recreational use.

Just got off the phone with people at Transport Canada and there is no way they will consider BVLOS even with a 730gram Mavic or with special circumstances . . . so max range here is Canada (legally) will likely be 200-300meters ( on a good day) for the foreseeable future.

As for the rest of Canadian UAV regs. I'm not too worried. They will be cumbersome for companies who want a flight line of pilots and equipment but not too bad from smaller companies like mine with one or 2 machines and not to demanding missions . . ie if you don;t need "Compliant" aircraft . . that label will severely restrict BVLOS and hazardous uses like refineries and rail yards, airports and other places. Compliant means it's a certified and maintained air frame almost like a normal cessna or learjet. You do not need a compliant air frame for a lot of useful work if you can keep with VLOS (V Line Of Sight) . . . on the other hand more and more commercial uses will be restricted to near private pilot license standards with a written and practical test even . . not yet . . but it's coming. If you want to fly commercially, you've got time till the full regs get updated next summer . . .If you don't already have an aviation background then go with a qualified training school. Several around . . Clarion Drone Academy in Kitchener is a good one. I know one of the the owners and they are doing things the right way.

If you just want to fly recreationally . . . then go MavicPro . . . and have a blast!
And If you want to fly commercially then MavicPro can do an awful lot for the price

Last edited:
?..........If you don't already have an aviation background then go with a qualified training school. Several around . . Clarion Drone Academy in Kitchener is a good one. I know one of the the owners and they are doing things the right way.

If you just want to fly recreationally . . . then go MavicPro . . . and have a blast!
And If you want to fly commercially then MavicPro can do an awful lot for the price

They seem pretty reasonably priced at the moment... thanks will check them out...

I'm due to emigrate to the big space they call canada so interesting read... I fly Inspire at the moment but looking to invest in this area so will need to be fully cert/licensed

I've made a formal request to Transport Canada and the UAV committee to consider making and new class of UAV/drones below "Small" . . . call it "Very Small" or "Micro" at <1-2kg . . ie Mavic size. They carry enough redundancy, accuracy and reliability that they should fall under less stringent flight rules than the bigger heavier machines because they pose a significantly LOWER threat to civil aviation or the public than their heavier cousins. . . as I've pointed out, at about 750grams, they are about as kinetically dangerous as a baseball. If they are well controlled by a competent, qualified pilot, backed up by redundant navigation, video, anti collision and geo-fencing they pose virtually no threat to anyone and yet can be extremely valuable for a myriad of commercial jobs.

Will let you know how they respond

Last edited:
Just got word from my inside sources that there may soon be 2 new classifications for drones in Canada as they develop new UAV regulations here. Up until now there was only a "small" drone class for anything under 25kg (Transport Canada calls them Small Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems or RPAS). It's now looking like we'll have under 1kg class called "Very Small" ( a perfect slot for MavicPro at 743g) and another called "Toy class" that will be for under 250g and be relatively unregulated for private use. The under 1kg VERY SMALL Class will be properly regulated but should have relatively less stringent regulations, compared to a 10-25kg machine, since it's risk of collision and potential damage to people and property is quite limited and unlikely . Proper training and pilot qualification as well as regulation will allow small commercial business to thrive with this new technology. I'm still advocating for BVLOS for commercial use of Very Small class, for a number of very rational reasons. I will be writing more about all that in the next couple of days on my blog at www.inskyphoto.com. Let me know what you think Mavic Pro size machines should be allowed to do commercially.

The Alternate World - Air traffic Control
FAA and Transport Canada are trying to figure out how to control drones so they can fly safely with civil aviation. Unfortunately, this often results in restrictions that reflect existing aviation technology not the alternate world of unmanned flight and the robustness of internet communications. Even current aviation standards for search and rescue can result in Malaysian Flight 370 incidents because they are still mostly using radar for position reporting and air traffic control. The ability to report anything over an airborne satellite link has been around for 30+years but airline control still uses radars. Enter ADS-B Out. . a system that uses satellites to relay information on aircraft position, speed and a more.

However, the drone world ( especially very small ones should not need to have anything to do with civil aviation most of the time. Their primary goal should be not to interfere and not present a threat to normal aircraft operations. For small and larger classes of drones, that's a different issue. They will need to interface regularly and therefore accommodate more restrictive access. I want to deal with just the Alternate World of VERY SMALL drones the same way the airlines would consider airport parking congestion as a threat to aviation. Every day thousands of very heavy and powerful machines ( cars and trucks) are allowed to manoeuver through airports and around aircraft with people in them but present virtually no threat to people or property unless its in the hands of a suicide bomber. There are fences and access roads, barriers and signs to direct traffic safely and efficiently. . . to aviation it's an Alternate Universe, and I believe the same can be done for personal and commercial drones. . . especially the VERY SMALL ones. ( There is a lot more in my BLOG post on Alternate Universe)

A system of reporting position is currently feasible and could be implemented over the internet with existing drones, simply by requiring an Internet wifi or cell phone link with the controller that reports position direction and ground speed like ADS-B Out. Typical very small drones like Mavic Pro already store this flight information and a lot more locally in real-time. The ability to report updates to an existing website already is in use and Transport Canada or the FAA could make use of this data by allowing or requiring such reporting to an ATC accessible secure web address. How hard would that be, given anyone can see real-time video from personal drones in Facebook. Personally, I think it's overkill to require small business to report activities this way but if ATC Transport Canada or the FAA determined that even VERY SMALL drones pose a serious threat because no one is tracking there locations with respect to civil aviation there IS a way to do it without a burdensome business cost to the operator or an individual.

The Alternate World - Air traffic Control
FAA and Transport Canada are trying to figure out how to control drones so they can fly safely with civil aviation. Unfortunately, this often results in restrictions that reflect existing aviation technology not the alternate world of unmanned flight and the robustness of internet communications. Even current aviation standards for search and rescue can result in Malaysian Flight 370 incidents because they are still mostly using radar for position reporting and air traffic control. The ability to report anything over an airborne satellite link has been around for 30+years but airline control still uses radars. Enter ADS-B Out. . a system that uses satellites to relay information on aircraft position, speed and a more.

However, the drone world ( especially very small ones should not need to have anything to do with civil aviation most of the time. Their primary goal should be not to interfere and not present a threat to normal aircraft operations. For small and larger classes of drones, that's a different issue. They will need to interface regularly and therefore accommodate more restrictive access. I want to deal with just the Alternate World of VERY SMALL drones the same way the airlines would consider airport parking congestion as a threat to aviation. Every day thousands of very heavy and powerful machines ( cars and trucks) are allowed to manoeuver through airports and around aircraft with people in them but present virtually no threat to people or property unless its in the hands of a suicide bomber. There are fences and access roads, barriers and signs to direct traffic safely and efficiently. . . to aviation it's an Alternate Universe, and I believe the same can be done for personal and commercial drones. . . especially the VERY SMALL ones. ( There is a lot more in my BLOG post on Alternate Universe)

A system of reporting position is currently feasible and could be implemented over the internet with existing drones, simply by requiring an Internet wifi or cell phone link with the controller that reports position direction and ground speed like ADS-B Out. Typical very small drones like Mavic Pro already store this flight information and a lot more locally in real-time. The ability to report updates to an existing website already is in use and Transport Canada or the FAA could make use of this data by allowing or requiring such reporting to an ATC accessible secure web address. How hard would that be, given anyone can see real-time video from personal drones in Facebook. Personally, I think it's overkill to require small business to report activities this way but if ATC Transport Canada or the FAA determined that even VERY SMALL drones pose a serious threat because no one is tracking there locations with respect to civil aviation there IS a way to do it without a burdensome business cost to the operator or an individual.
Just got word from my inside sources that there may soon be 2 new classifications for drones in Canada as they develop new UAV regulations here. Up until now there was only a "small" drone class for anything under 25kg (Transport Canada calls them Small Remotely Piloted Aerial Systems or RPAS). It's now looking like we'll have under 1kg class called "Very Small" ( a perfect slot for MavicPro at 743g) and another called "Toy class" that will be for under 250g and be relatively unregulated for private use. The under 1kg VERY SMALL Class will be properly regulated but should have relatively less stringent regulations, compared to a 10-25kg machine, since it's risk of collision and potential damage to people and property is quite limited and unlikely . Proper training and pilot qualification as well as regulation will allow small commercial business to thrive with this new technology. I'm still advocating for BVLOS for commercial use of Very Small class, for a number of very rational reasons. I will be writing more about all that in the next couple of days on my blog at www.inskyphoto.com. Let me know what you think Mavic Pro size machines should be allowed to do commercially.

Hi. I operate commercially under SFOC . What I see will happen with some discussion with TC inspectors, recreational flying with anything but a "toy" class will be limited to certain safe areas, like class g airspace, 5nm from aerodromes, or a flying club, among other things.
MAAC has its own insurance but anywhere except a flying club you will require an exam, permit, insurance. They are closing the current gap between commercial and recreational.
BVLOS is not going to happen for quite a long time, maybe by Mavic 12

Ok, just saw your website. You know what is going on.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookedinlh
You may well be right about "Mavic 12" . . aviation wheels turn a lot slower than their props!
That's not a bad thing really . . . but it does lag well behind technology and innovation. Thanks for the comments

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123