DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadians: June 1's comin! - Got your Pilot's License Yet?

I wonder what a Canadian pilot needs to fly a plane from Regina to lets say Minot. Is the Canadian pilots licence recognized in the USA?

I could be wrong about that...I thought the SFOC was needed for “C” or restricted air space.

That might be true as well, as SFOCs are used for multiple reasons. One of which is to grant foreign pilots permission to fly in Canada.

Ok thanks, Im studying for the test and I can’t believe the amount of topics you have to know. And get 80% to pass.

Good luck, I briefly considered trying for my advanced but not really interested in flying in restricted airspace so sticking with basic.
Cheers

I wonder what a Canadian pilot needs to fly a plane from Regina to lets say Minot. Is the Canadian pilots licence recognized in the USA?

The answer is sorta Yes, as a Canadian Pilot you can fly a Canadian registered in the US. You do have to be very careful crossing the border, advance notice and complete crew/passenger lists etc etc. You cannot fly a US registered aircraft in the US on a Canadian licence. However, oddly enough you can fly a US registered aircraft in Canada with only a Canadian Pilot’s licence, go figure?? It is up to the FAA to decide how and when they would allow foreign drone operations on US soil. I do fly my drone at my winter home in the Caribbean, on the Island of Bonaire. They have some local published do’s and don’ts that I follow. It is always blowing 15 - 20 kts down there, so lots of wind warnings and some tricky TOs and landings with the low level mechanical turbulence.

Reactions: Norm
Did the basic test this afternoon but didn't find it very difficult. There were some bizarre questions that made me go, WHAT???? Was initially planning on going the advanced route but with Transport Canada invalidating the P4P as a compliant aircraft, it just isn't worth it for me.

Hopefully I will be able to fly this weekend for the first time since last October!

Reactions: Norm
The answer is sorta Yes, as a Canadian Pilot you can fly a Canadian registered in the US. You do have to be very careful crossing the border, advance notice and complete crew/passenger lists etc etc. You cannot fly a US registered aircraft in the US on a Canadian licence. However, oddly enough you can fly a US registered aircraft in Canada with only a Canadian Pilot’s licence, go figure?? It is up to the FAA to decide how and when they would allow foreign drone operations on US soil. I do fly my drone at my winter home in the Caribbean, on the Island of Bonaire. They have some local published do’s and don’ts that I follow. It is always blowing 15 - 20 kts down there, so lots of wind warnings and some tricky TOs and landings with the low level mechanical turbulence.
How far is Bonaire from Aruba ? How big of a drone I need to visit you ...lol

Hey, Your are a Lucky guy ! I was in Aruba for vacation and would like to know more about living in AB or C :)

Last edited:
Hey, Your are a Lucky guy ! I was in Aruba for vacation and would like to know more about living in AB or C :)

The ABC’s are indeed three very cool small islands, well they are actually Hot . Hence as frozen Canucks we needed a warm place to ‘snowbird’ in the winter. To live there is pretty easy as a retired expat. Bonaire the ‘B’in ABC is the most laid back of the three. The tallest building on Bonaire is 4 stories, by local laws. Violent crime is also just about non-existent on Bonaire. Aruba has better beaches, but Bonaire has much better Scuba and Snorkelling.

PM me if you need more.

Cheers

Starting June 1 if you want to fly your drone in Canada you need a license. $10 fee and an on-line test. Easy right?

Nope. Wow was that test hard! I have an actual private pilot's license and a couple hundred hours so I figured this thing would be a joke. Wow. Wrong. I was able to pass but I predict there aren't going to be too many legal Canadian Drone Pilots out there come June 1. This thing isn't amateur hour.

I'm not allowed to pass on any specific questions but you better be up to speed on HELICOPTER CONTROLS (WTF!?!), the coriolis effect, Class 5 geomagnetic storms, NOTAM's, construction of brushless DC motors, every class of airspace, flying your drone from a boat and all kinds of nutty stuff. I only wish I was kidding - but I'M NOT! Dead serious.

For a while I thought I had clicked the wrong test but NOPE... that was the SIMPLE BASIC test. Hate to think what the advanced one might look like. As a hobby we're so sc*ewed.

Anyway... here's mine. Go get yours! And good luck. You're going to need it.

View attachment 73974
Hi there, I’m new to the drone world just flew about 1.5 hours so far. Last week I decided to do the test, I was aware of all the new rules in Canada and though I was ready for the test. 65% is required to pass. Boy was I surprised, I failed I got 59%. They give you your mark and tell you in which category you need to study. There is a lot to learn to pass this test. This weekend there was a article in a well respected newspaper questioning the test.

Hi there, I’m new to the drone world just flew about 1.5 hours so far. Last week I decided to do the test, I was aware of all the new rules in Canada and though I was ready for the test. 65% is required to pass. Boy was I surprised, I failed I got 59%. They give you your mark and tell you in which category you need to study. There is a lot to learn to pass this test. This weekend there was a article in a well respected newspaper questioning the test.
It isn't the easiest test that's for sure. Brush up on the act and remember Google is your friend.

I do agree that the test has some questions that have little to do with drones but it's what we are stuck with until somebody in government gets a brain cell, is that an oxymoron, government and brains.

Hope your second try is successful.

On another note did my first night/evening flight with stobes on the drone. Cant wait till the sunsets are better.

Cheersorg_d7ba58795537e8f1_1559787022000.jpeg

Reactions: timinator
I passed my basic exam last weekend. I'll echo the sentiment that there are some questions included in the question pool that need to be re-evaluated, as they ask you situational questions that don't apply to the basic certification...so there's some work to be done for sure.

I for one am glad it's harder than normal, hopefully it'll weed out the people who don't care for rules and regs in the first place, as they're usually the ones that ruin it for the rest of us responsible ones.

I passed my basic exam last weekend. I'll echo the sentiment that there are some questions included in the question pool that need to be re-evaluated, as they ask you situational questions that don't apply to the basic certification...so there's some work to be done for sure.

I for one am glad it's harder than normal, hopefully it'll weed out the people who don't care for rules and regs in the first place, as they're usually the ones that ruin it for the rest of us responsible ones.
I hate to state the obvious but if they don't follow the rules anyway they aren't going to get certified in the first place.

What we need is enforcement of the rules. Government can make all the rules they want but without enforcement they are useless.

Just watched the video in this thread, ILLEGAL TO FLY DRONES IN CANADA UNLESS...

This guy is a classic example of what's wrong, he was breaking more rules than I could count plus using his cell phone while driving and if I'm not mistaken he was driving and flying his drone.

Cheers

Agreed that more enforcement is necessary...beyond the casual observer that thinks all drones are illegal and immediately call the cops when they see one.

And yes, I saw that video too and that tool needs to have his drone and his driver's license taken away. (In my opinion permanently...the world needs less of them on the roads)

Reactions: Tbredhed
i'm in a canadian thread where the citizens are asking for more government control, more government rules, and more tighter control....over a hobby. AND more law enforcement action to crack down on hobby flyers, too? :( :( :( :(

doesn't surprise me. next you'll be asking for installing government gps trackers, flying thru drone checkpoints, and getting periodic drone inspection stickers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123