DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadians: June 1's comin! - Got your Pilot's License Yet?

rbhamilton

Reactions
Starting June 1 if you want to fly your drone in Canada you need a license. $10 fee and an on-line test. Easy right?

Nope. Wow was that test hard! I have an actual private pilot's license and a couple hundred hours so I figured this thing would be a joke. Wow. Wrong. I was able to pass but I predict there aren't going to be too many legal Canadian Drone Pilots out there come June 1. This thing isn't amateur hour.

I'm not allowed to pass on any specific questions but you better be up to speed on HELICOPTER CONTROLS (WTF!?!), the coriolis effect, Class 5 geomagnetic storms, NOTAM's, construction of brushless DC motors, every class of airspace, flying your drone from a boat and all kinds of nutty stuff. I only wish I was kidding - but I'M NOT! Dead serious.

For a while I thought I had clicked the wrong test but NOPE... that was the SIMPLE BASIC test. Hate to think what the advanced one might look like. As a hobby we're so sc*ewed.

Anyway... here's mine. Go get yours! And good luck. You're going to need it.

Congratulations!!
I thought the U.S. version was bizarre enough. Any idea if I can fly, when visiting Canada, with Part 107?

Congratulations!!
I thought the U.S. version was bizarre enough. Any idea if I can fly, when visiting Canada, with Part 107?

I'm still trying to figure out if >>I<< can fly. I just found out I ALSO need to register the drone too. Ugggh. The red tape in Canada just never ends.

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
Starting June 1 if you want to fly your drone in Canada you need a license. $10 fee and an on-line test. Easy right?

Nope. Wow was that test hard! I have an actual private pilot's license and a couple hundred hours so I figured this thing would be a joke. Wow. Wrong. I was able to pass but I predict there aren't going to be too many legal Canadian Drone Pilots out there come June 1. This thing isn't amateur hour.

I'm not allowed to pass on any specific questions but you better be up to speed on HELICOPTER CONTROLS (WTF!?!), the coriolis effect, Class 5 geomagnetic storms, NOTAM's, construction of brushless DC motors, every class of airspace, flying your drone from a boat and all kinds of nutty stuff. I only wish I was kidding - but I'M NOT! Dead serious.

For a while I thought I had clicked the wrong test but NOPE... that was the SIMPLE BASIC test. Hate to think what the advanced one might look like. As a hobby we're so sc*ewed.

Anyway... here's mine. Go get yours! And good luck. You're going to need it.

View attachment 73974

Congratulations!

However, a class 5 geomagnetic storm(Solar flares) would cause so much damage drone failure(crashing) would be the least of our problems. The March 1989 storm caused the collapse of the Hydro- Quebec power grid in seconds. Which in turn caused a cascading effect that left six million people without power for close to ten hours. Makes me wonder who was the genius that designed the test.

Check this thread out seems like it's been sorted out, haven't looked lately to confirm though.
Sorry forgot to link thread.

Cheers

Congratulations!!

Last edited:
If I had to guess I'd say a bunch of drone school owners and drone haters got together and designed a test that a normal sensible hobbyist could never pass. The Canadian test site suggests taking a drone school course and even has links to search for one. It's a giant stupid money grab by the school owners and government. But there are a lot of hobbies. Make this one no fun and people will just do something else. Maybe that's the end goal anyway. When the drone owners are all gone the fixed wing guys can get back to pretending they are real pilots in peace.

Congratulations!!

new rules starting June 1st are: An SFOC gives you permission to operate your drone outside the rules for a specific purpose.

You need this certificate in the following cases:
  • You want to fly your drone outside the rules for basic or advanced operations
  • Your drone weighs over 25 kilograms (kg)
  • You are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or a corporation incorporated by or under the laws of Canada or a province
  • You want to fly your drone carrying dangerous or hazardous payloads (e.g. chemicals)
  • You want to fly at a special aviation event or an advertised event
  • You want to fly more than five drones at the same time

Note: getting an SFOC is no longer a prerequisite for commercial operations. However, commercial operators still need an SFOC if their operation falls into one of the categories above.

Foreign operators

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

How to apply

To apply for this certificate:

1. Read and understand all information in the Special Flight Operations Certificate guidance advisory circular
  2. Complete an Application for a Special Flight Operations Certificate form [PDF, 1.25 MB] and gather the documentation specified in the application
  3. Send the form and documents to:
    Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Centre of Expertise
    700, Leigh-Capreol Place Dorval, Quebec H4Y 1G7
    Email: [email protected]

Reactions: dawgpilot
I took a course for Advanced Operations with AltoHelix this past weekend. Subject matter covered in class certainly helped to pass the test. The next day the flight review was also completed. Even with a fixed wing pilot and AME (A&P) career background it was still challenging. Earlier in the month I had written the Basic Operator exam without studying and passed it. For somebody new to all the aspects of flying expect a steep learning curve with a couple attempts. There is an expected proficiency and knowledge of the rules for safety. The regulations allow for enforcement of improper operation and pave the way for commercial BVLOS RPAS business.

Reactions: BJTremblay
I took a course for Advanced Operations with AltoHelix this past weekend. Subject matter covered in class certainly helped to pass the test. The next day the flight review was also completed. Even with a fixed wing pilot and AME (A&P) career background it was still challenging. Earlier in the month I had written the Basic Operator exam without studying and passed it. For somebody new to all the aspects of flying expect a steep learning curve with a couple attempts. There is an expected proficiency and knowledge of the rules for safety. The regulations allow for enforcement of improper operation and pave the way for commercial BVLOS RPAS business.

I was looking at that Helix course and wondering if it would be worth the price of admission. I'm all new to this and was able to pass the basic test with the help of professor google and online materials from Don Joyce of "Don Drones On" but the advanced level certificate has me spooked a bit, at least until I get more time flying.

Working on it, purchased the Aerotech ground school for basic and advanced. We’ll see how much it’s helped in passing the advanced exam.

Good luck to all you Canuks out there ... I’m 65 and having trouble studying for the part 107 test here... from what RB posted it seems your test is a lot tougher ... it’s a shame for all you hobbyists especially with all the beautiful places in your country... maybe a reason to become a Snowbird ! ? [emoji41]

Good luck to all you Canuks out there ... I’m 65 and having trouble studying for the part 107 test here... from what RB posted it seems your test is a lot tougher ... it’s a shame for all you hobbyists especially with all the beautiful places in your country... maybe a reason to become a Snowbird ! ? [emoji41]

Lol... way ahead of you! No chance I'm going to spend a winter in Canada. I've got a really nice little place in Arizona. Love it. What a beautiful state by the way. Lots to see and do.

Certified Pilot :)

It took me twice before getting the certificate because many questions are not really related to basic drone operations but to the helicopter or airplane pilots.

The good thing is only $ 10 CDN and you get a feedback on what you need to learn if you dont get the 65% mark.

There are new good regulations, such as being able to fly at night with navigation light and use an observer if you use the goggle.
The maximum flying distance is now as far as you can see your drone. (gonna need a bigger drone LOL) and the maximum height for a basic certified pipote is 400 ft / 122 M which will automatically adjust the controller by DJI after registering your drone with Transport Canada. (also required for $ 5.00)

Last edited:
Reactions: wellington_drone

I had a queston on recognizing the signs of hypoxia and another one dealing with agonic lines on a map.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Any foreign operator apply for the SFOC yet? I'm curious how difficult that process will be. Also if they will give out blanket authorizations to cover a longer period of time for people that might visit Canada often for tourism.

I wrote both the Basic and Advanced online exams. Passed both the first time. However, I do have a 40+ year background in general and corporate aviation, from both the aircrew and maintenance side. I took the Basic exam cold, no study time. For the Advanced exam I did read the new ‘drone’ regs, but no other study time. I got a grade of 88% on the Advanced. Not sure how I did on the Basic as if you pass you do not seem to get any feedback, at least I did not. My take is if you do not have a good background in aviation you will need to study to pass both. Some questions did seem odd, and as far as I could tell had very little to nothing to do with drone operations. You are not suppose to discuss what the actual questions were, and I will abide by that. The online registration was easy, I just have a single MPP. I think a lot of the new regs are a Government Knee-Jerk reaction to a few isolated incidents.

Any foreign operator apply for the SFOC yet? I'm curious how difficult that process will be. Also if they will give out blanket authorizations to cover a longer period of time for people that might visit Canada often for tourism.

Looks like you can’t until you have had your Advanced licence for 6 months.

Looks like you can’t until you have had your Advanced licence for 6 months.

That doesn't make sense to me: foreign pilots are not eligible to apply for a Canadian license and thus need to use the SFOC route.

I could be wrong about that...I thought the SFOC was needed for “C” or restricted air space.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom