DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadians: June 1's comin! - Got your Pilot's License Yet?

i'm in a canadian thread where the citizens are asking for more government control, more government rules, and more tighter control....over a hobby. AND more law enforcement action to crack down on hobby flyers, too? :( :( :( :(

doesn't surprise me. next you'll be asking for installing government gps trackers, flying thru drone checkpoints, and getting periodic drone inspection stickers.
Please explain to me what is wrong with enforcement. Keeps more people from endangering the safety of others. Or is it your view that there should be no rules whatever?

Cheers

Believe me, I'm not a fan of the new rules and regs (other than the fact they don't differentiate between hobby and commercial anymore) and would love nothing more than to fly with nothing more than common sense, but I'm a realist. It's a necessary evil.

I agree with ELAM, I not real happy with the new Regs, some do seem to be a wee-bit onerous. But Common Sense is not that Common and Government agencies do love to make new rules. My background in general then corporate aviation was at the career level, it is how I made a living for many decades. The wife and I now have a Piper PA-46350P Mirage, she is a Pilot. She does not do the Drone thing, that is just my gig. But we now are both retired and fly only at the hobby level. We have to follow lots of rules and regulations to do that ‘hobby’. So I am not really torn out of shape too much by having to follow the new ‘Drone’ rules/regs.

Just my 2-Bits worth.

I agree with ELAM, I not real happy with the new Regs, some do seem to be a wee-bit onerous. But Common Sense is not that Common and Government agencies do love to make new rules. My background in general then corporate aviation was at the career level, it is how I made a living for many decades. The wife and I now have a Piper PA-46350P Mirage, she is a Pilot. She does not do the Drone thing, that is just my gig. But we now are both retired and fly only at the hobby level. We have to follow lots of rules and regulations to do that ‘hobby’. So I am not really torn out of shape too much by having to follow the new ‘Drone’ rules/regs.

Just my 2-Bits worth.
As someone that has been flying a drone for a couple of years now I find the new regs to be considerably looser than the old ones. That being said we did not have to register or take a test, I would imagine you found the test pretty simple after a lifetime in aviation.

I never and have no current desire to fly in controlled airspace so won't have to do the advanced. As I understand things the old SFOC to enable you to fly in controlled airspace was a huge pain, again I've never been interested in that so don't know first hand.
Cheers

Last edited:
^that's not the problem. the problem is the government is setting everyone up to eventually make it difficult to impossible to fly recreationally. the foundation for a strict and rigid system with little room for discretion is in the works. there is little to no space for the hobby flier who just wants to go to best buy and buy a drone and stop by the high school baseball field on the way home and fly it. soon, if you open your drone on christmas morning, it will be after new years before you can visit a fixed site across town and pay $100 to fly in a flat open field at high noon with a bunch of rc'ers who don't really want you there. we might enjoy a few year of playing nice in a cozy system that works for those who have figured it out but we are one incident away from disaster. registration is never a good idea.

^that's not the problem. the problem is the government is setting everyone up to eventually make it difficult to impossible to fly recreationally. the foundation for a strict and rigid system with little room for discretion is in the works. there is little to no space for the hobby flier who just wants to go to best buy and buy a drone and stop by the high school baseball field on the way home and fly it. soon, if you open your drone on christmas morning, it will be after new years before you can visit a fixed site across town and pay $100 to fly in a flat open field at high noon with a bunch of rc'ers who don't really want you there. we might enjoy a few year of playing nice in a cozy system that works for those who have figured it out but we are one incident away from disaster. registration is never a good idea.

I don't know how I can disagree more with the notion that 'registration is never a good idea'. The very fact you have to register to fly legally is precisely intended to avoid not being to identify who caused bodily harm as a result of careless drone use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada