DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't retrieve flight logs w/ DJI Assistent 2 for Mavic on Macbook

• Thread starter Deleted member 127992
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 127992

To begin with: I'm able to connect my MA2 to DJI Assistant 2 on my MacbookPro. I can see the firmware options and used them already and could start a calibration.
But when trying to download flight logs from the MA2 the Assistant shows the spinning wheel for several minutes to tell my then: "Retrieving failed - try again". I can do that over and over again with no different outcome.
What am I doing wrong?

MacOS 10.15.5
DJI Assistant V 2.0.12

Those aircraft .DAT flight logs isn't of any use for you ... they are encrypted & can only be read by DJI. The flight logs you can read are stored in the mobile device you flew with.

Thanks for clearing this for me. I knew that for about the .dat files.
But I thought I was able to get the .txt-type-logs also...
What I also know now: The .dat file can be retrieved only if you hook up the controller to DJI-Assistant and not from the drone.
Makes sense anyway if something goes bad with the drone (or lost) DJI is still able to get a log file for research.

Thanks for clearing this for me. I knew that for about the .dat files.
But I thought I was able to get the .txt-type-logs also...
What I also know now: The .dat file can be retrieved only if you hook up the controller to DJI-Assistant and not from the drone.
Makes sense anyway if something goes bad with the drone (or lost) DJI is still able to get a log file for research.
The 2 usable logs is the .txt & .dat in the mobile device you flew with... go here, everything regarding logs are nicely compiled there --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Thanks again for your help.
I knew how to get the .txt-log files via iTunes to my computer. I was just wishing I could to this while DL the video files directly from the MA2. Never mind.
BTW: The .dat files from the MA2 downloaded from the phone are also not readable... I guess only by DJI.

... BTW: The .dat files from the MA2 downloaded from the phone are also not readable... I guess only by DJI.

The DAT log that are readable for us is created in the mobile device ... it's not equal to the one created & stored in the MA2, but have almost the same signals but gathered in a lower frequency.

Below quoted from the link I provided earlier ...

Aircraft DAT files

These contain the most comprehensive data, logged at the highest rates. A DAT file is started at aircraft power up and continued until power down, and includes numerous boot sequence, sensor calibration and diagnostic data in the flight event stream. There are also hundreds of data fields, many of which are flags or diagnostic computations of unknown types, probably understood only by DJI. However, among these are the raw and processed sensor data and the IMU solution for aircraft attitude, position, velocity and heading, together with battery and motor data, recorded at rates varying from 5 Hz to 200 Hz. These data are very valuable for diagnosing flight control problems. The files exist independent of the mobile device control app being used.

Unfortunately, on recent DJI models (Mavic Air, Mavic 2, Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2) the decryption keys are hidden, and so those are not readable except by DJI.

Mobile device DAT files (DJI GO 4 app & DJI Fly app)

These contain a subset of the aircraft DAT files, including most of the raw sensor data, recorded at a lower data rate of 10 Hz. They are also started at aircraft power up and closed at aircraft shutdown, provided that the app is connected - otherwise it will be the subset of that duration when the app is connected. Not as good as the aircraft DAT files, but nearly as good for most needs, and always available if the control app is DJI GO 4. DAT files are not created when using Litchi or other third party control apps.

Thank you again for pointing me to that.

You were saying: "The DAT log that are readable for us is created in the mobile device"

So I've downloaded a .dat file from the Fly.app on my phone.
Opening under MacOS it looks like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-27 um 11.45.22.png

What software do I need to read the file? I know life is not depending on this - I am just curious... ; )
The .txt files I can read thru the Airdata website w/ all the informations interpreted. I like that possibility anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again for pointing me to that.

You were saying: "The DAT log that are readable for us is created in the mobile device"

So I've downloaded a .dat file from the Fly.app on my phone.
Opening under MacOS it looks like this:

View attachment 106010

What software do I need to read the file? I know life is not depending on this - I am just curious... ; )
The .txt files I can read thru the Airdata website w/ all the informations interpreted. I like that possibility anyway.
Read up under section 4 & 5 in earlier provided link ... really recommend reading that from the first sentence to the last if you truly want to learn. I'm using CsvView to read both the txt & dat log ... but it's possible to upload the dat to Airdata also ... but that will only show the same set of data as the txt & you will not gain access to all raw sensor & motor data there ... you need to use for instance CsvView for that.

Read up under section 4 & 5 in earlier provided link ... really recommend reading that from the first sentence to the last if you truly want to learn. I'm using CsvView to read both the txt & dat log ... but it's possible to upload the dat to Airdata also ... but that will only show the same set of data as the txt & you will not gain access to all raw sensor & motor data there ... you need to use for instance CsvView for that.
Got it! Thanks again for your help!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000