DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car charger recommendation?

wrybread

Reactions
I'm looking for a powerful car charger to charge the batteries for my Mini 3 Pro. Ideally something with more than one outlet. Doesn't need to plug into a cigarette socket, I'm fine hardwiring something, but cigarette lighter socket style chargers are fine too if they work well.

Trying to avoid using an AC powered charger like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JPQ7CR8/?coliid=IPLSUMFGDS0VC

61VfkXoBp3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Since of course that means leaving my inverter on while charging, which is an extra drain on my battery. Would love to find something similar that runs directly off 12 volts.

I've been testing a few different USB C "power delivery" devices, and they sure do vary widely. Some will output 33 watts, which I think is the most the Mini 3 Pro charger will draw, but others are only outputting about 10 watts. I'd love to find a car charger that will output the full 33 watts or close. And I'm fully aware of the risks of draining my car battery.

(And apologies, I posted this to the forum on dji.com as well, but I'm thinking that's probably not the best place for this question, and that forum doesn't have a delete feature.)

I use this .....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YH85SKV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works great and it shows battery voltage of the vehicle and also the charging current, it cycles through the various displays.

I use this .....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YH85SKV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

works great and it shows battery voltage of the vehicle and also the charging current, it cycles through the various displays.
I use something similar, but it tops out at 120w total and has 3 ports. I would think that just about any 65w PD cigarette lighter charger (or even 45w) would be sufficient.

Just watch the voltage needs of any 12v charger station you might find suitable.

The DJI 12v chargers for M1, M2 etc need 13.1v, and that's all well and good if your vehicle is running and the alternator putting out around 14v - 15v.
If the vehicle is off and battery rested, they always drop to around 12.7v in short time, and you get very erratic charging (if at all).

I learned this in using all 12v systems in the 4WD when touring, the M1 charger would be very spasmodic, like a duty cycle, and never ever managed to charge a drone battery.

If you have problems running a charger you find, I fixed it with a step converter . . . search the forum for step up converter, I have posted photos of one I bought from ebay, and wired up inline from my heavy duty 12v outlet.

Found a post with photo . . . Charging Batteries in Car?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa