DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CASA - Can I Fly There Released (IOS / Android / Webapp)

Handle gently guys......
Last thing we want to do is get CASA offside.
Compared to many other countries they seem to be incredibly reasonable and helpful with their app and simple guidelines.
Downloaded their free aircraft flight chart(VTC) and sat their cross-eyed for an hour trying to work it out. That's my short-comings, not theirs, as they are designed for people who have done hundreds+ of study hours. My opinon is if I want to mingle with the big boys it's up to me to get up to speed. That being said, with the current rapid expansion of hobby RPA's, and the potentially even more important massive future expansion of commercial delivery/farm/surveillance photography/personal-transport etc RPA's, getting guidelines/regulations and easy to use (and understand) systems in place now is really important for this country. (Can you imagine being like Sweden, Canada etc - Jeez, what basket cases!)
We have a chance at this early stage to get it right. CASA & Drone Compiler surely monitor our posts on this forum. Let's help them help us.
My 2 bob's worth......

Last edited:
Reactions: True fly
I agree I believe it is a deliberate attempt to mislead recreational flyers.
Bit like like lying by omission.

I, like many others, am totally confused in regard to the applicability of the CASA Can I fly there app for recreational flyers. I was given a Walkera Scout X4 quadcopter for my 70th birthday 2 1/2 years ago and flew fairly regularly since then. But I was aware that our property of 240 acres is located within a RAAF low flying area and took care to not fly when RAAF, or for that matter any planes or helicopters were operating in the area. In particular RAAF do not appear to have flying operations in the area on weekends.

When I look at the CASA can I fly there app it states DO NOT FLY THERE and categorises the area as "R538A Williamtown: Category Restricted: Status RA2.

My problem is that the app provides no leeway such as asking the RAAF Williamtown for permission to fly and I am not prepared to raise their awareness at this time, particular since the DGI Go 4, with current updates, has no restriction for flying in this area.

An additional issue is that I have been advised that RAAF planes operating the area could fly as low as 500 feet above ground level so if I was flying my Mavic, or Scout X4 at the maximum permitted height of 400 feet above ground level there would potentially be only 100 feet between the respective altitudes which is in my opinion far too little for safe operation.
Until the applicability of the CASA app to recreational flying is resolved I will continue flying with the safety precautions that I have used for the last 2 1/2 years.

Ralph

I will continue flying with the safety precautions that I have used for the last 2 1/2 years.

Ralph

That's it if we all use commonsense with how we fly and fly with respect to other air craft then we won't have any problems with casa as they know uav's are the future and there will be a lot more flying around as time goes on so if we as drone operators keep doing the right thing I think (and only my opinion after hearing a couple of thing from casa) that casa will help us out with the stigma that's out there now and try to keep things as smooth as possible for us all to in joy our hobby

As like me I am in a no fly zone where I live but I still fly hear and do have plans flying over my property as I am 3 1/2 Klm from a small air strip but I keep my eyes and ears open at all times and if an aircraft is around the area I remove my aircraft from the picture by landing it or hovering it at 15m above the ground and if there are crop dusters around my area or military flying around then I don't fly that day so they can go about there business and not have to worry about me
Commonsense is all it takes but it is not so common as we would all like it to be

Are CASA gradually tightening up on drone operators? I saw a yellow pamphlet published by them some months ago with no mention of Restricted Areas. But now their website does say recreational drone operation is prohibited in these areas.

The App is superb, but I was shocked by the number and size of these Restricted Areas: All of Sydney Harbour (ok, that makes sense), vast tracts of land from the coast well into Barrington Tops, all of the Nowra area deep into Morton National Park, Huge areas into Parr State Forest, etc, etc.

I am thinking that buying a drone was a waste of money

Still some confusion as they are right but a lot applies to commercial usage, not hobby use.
They are though guidelines that they advise to adhere to.
There will be more regulations coming in the near future that will apply to every drone.
The advisory leaflet is a good one to stick to though as it will keep you out of a lot of trouble.
The airports and helipads etc should be a no brainer to keep to.

Reactions: stratos
Whilst I accept that a senate enquiry has been commissioned in respect of drones (uav, multicopter, etc.) I very much doubt that there will be any significant addition regulation to those currently administered by CASA.

My reasons for this are:
1. The cost of additional regulation (all new or revised regulation must satisfy an analysis of the cost benefit to the community i.e. the benefit must be greater than the cost).

2. In my experience regulation that saves one human life must have an implementation cost of less than $5 million.

3. At this stage I am not aware of a loss of life, or even a serious injury so a cost benefit analysis would fail to demonstrate an acceptable benefit considering the cost of implementation.

4. CASA, as the regulator for airspace in Australia, have already stated that in essence the risk is low and have promulgated the existing regulation be means of their app.

5. Any regulation requiring training or licensing prior to the purchase of a drone would be unenforceable given the various ways in which they may be purchased or indeed constructed from readily available parts.

Given the difficulty in framing effective regulations for quad bikes where there have been a large number of fatalities and serious injuries I cannot see any change to the current regulations in the immediate future.
However I would like to see all drones other than toys (that cannot fly beyond 50 metres) registered as was the case in USA until the recent court case determined that the FAA do not have the authority to require registration.

Ralph

Reactions: Auspete
From what I understand, It appears that 95% of the Perth metro area is a NFZ..... so much for buying a Mavic Pro. Do I adopt the mentality of "its best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission ?"

From what I understand, It appears that 95% of the Perth metro area is a NFZ..... so much for buying a Mavic Pro. Do I adopt the mentality of "its best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission ?"

Mate you should always follow the rules.
At the other hand it gives the excuse of going out of the city and visit new places.

that has been great for me as I have been planning where to go next after checking areas which are good to fly.

Still some confusion as they are right but a lot applies to commercial usage, not hobby use.
They are though guidelines that they advise to adhere to.
There will be more regulations coming in the near future that will apply to every drone.
The advisory leaflet is a good one to stick to though as it will keep you out of a lot of trouble.
The airports and helipads etc should be a no brainer to keep to.

I agree I always have a couple of this leaflets with my mavic gear.
To educate the people and let them know the rules.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
What the casa app doesn't tell you is that much of the large military airspace is only active at certain times as spelt out by NOTAM, when not active it usually reverts to uncontrolled airspace.

When I was doing my ppl training 25 years ago I was based about 15 minutes flying time south of Richmond airspace. It was almost a standing joke that that airspace was usually inactive on weekends and that we hoped that we don't get invaded on a weekend.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Check CASA and check DJI also FlightRadar apps.
If DJI allows and other flights ok then go.
I am currently at CottonTree in Marroochydore Queensland Aus.
According to CASA a no fly zone, according to DJI just ok, FlightRadar app shows current flights in and out.
My call says NO.
So I will not fly.

Have got my Cert III REPL., Seems to me that having the license (thou an asset),
Puts you into territory that Restricts your use ,where as the "Recreational Flyers" ,have more Leeway re rules and Regs. Seems ignorance "can be Bliss" and an excuse for Some to be idiots.
In saying that ,I thoroughly enjoyed getting into the Aviation Side of things, Aviation radio Procedures ,Proper map reading and plotting Waypoints as well as Understanding Aviation maps ,Frequencies, finding my own position Etc ,Etc.
Apart from Shark watch and /or search and rescue on our Beaches giving me more experience,( all volunteer work I enjoy)
Surveying ,Mapping and More photography are my next Goals in Gaining Qualifications.
Commonsense truly needs to be used and I feel CASA has a duty to ensure this technology is used Safely . I mean a 10-15 year old can simply go out ,purchase a Mavic pro or Whatever that can be used to Spy ,Perv or cause havoc surely MUST be a concern .In saying that I do acknowledge most Tools tend to be adults.
I always try to educate anyone who comes past with an interest and safety is priority , Ensuring I can show people in Not out there invading Someone's privacy and simply Doing Photography or shark Watching has paid big dividends in people's attitudes where I Live. Also letting the odd person try on the DJI Goggles for an immersive experience ensures most walk away positive. Can get a bit To much at times thou when you get 10or 20 people around. Lol
Hope in Not to much off topic Guys.
As for the senate enquiry from what I Have seen thus far, CASA has shot down in flames, Those who seem bent on wanting drones banned .The senator with his Braces who is a pilot was hell bent on Doing his best at hypothetical tragedies being common place . CASA in this regard had All the statistics from here and around the world showing this scare mongering is unjustified.
Okay , Sorry to Rattle on ,will leave you all in Peace Now.

Reactions: Oglo
Operations within the 3nm (5.5km) radius of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site are possible and lawful providing you comply with the rules listed above and ensure that you do not operate:

• on the approach and departure path, or
  • within the movement area, or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.
RPA used for sport or recreational purposes that weigh 150kg or less are considered to be operating privately and are regulated by the provisions for model aircraft. More information about these requirements are provided in Advisory Circulars available for download:

• AC101-3 for model aircraft (and recreational drone use)

Thought I understood the rules and just obeyed the CASA app but after reading here I am unsure.

I only fly the Mavic for fun, no business related activity. I am mostly around Melbourne CBD and the CASA reports a lot of places as either "No Fly Zone" or "Do not exceed 45m".

Are you saying I don't have to obey these as long as I am a just a hobby flyer? I only have to not be:
  • on the approach and departure path, or
  • within the movement area, or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those area
Confused as ever now...

Just follow the zones and no flys on the apps (Drone Complier, the now linked site from CASA, or the still current Can I Fly There).
I find a lot of the 45m zones in Metro areas, helicopter landing zones mostly around hospitals / commercial landing zones.

How often are the CASA maps for the "Can I fly There" app updated?

I just flew around in Docklands for a bit, where the maps said it was alright if I stayed below 45m, and some bloke came and said I wasn't allowed, that the maps were wrong...

I don't believe him, but I am curious. Would be crap for the app to have wrong info and you get busted flying in a no fly zone because of it.

Depends where you were in Docklands.
As you can see with the CIFT app, the lighter area circles outside the red zones are 45m, red are no fly.

e3c60921ee5d0d6cf352398fb974590d.jpg

Drone Complier (the app now linked from CASA website) has same zones, but I find much easier to see background info where overlaps occur in zones.

51db4588269dc0499735d6458d7de9b8.jpg

Last edited:
Depends where you were in Docklands.
As you can see with the CIFT app, the lighter area circles outside the red zones are 45m, red are no fly.

Drone Complier (the app now liked from CASA website) has same zones, but I find much easier to see background info where overlaps occur in zones.

Pretty much exactly where you have the marker in your screenshots was where I was flying. I am confident I was in the yellow 45m area, so I guess he was just someone who hated drones or something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom