DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CASA - Can I Fly There Released (IOS / Android / Webapp)

Question to Mavic_South_Oz & M-A-T-T-Y...

Are you using both "Can I fly there" and "Drone Complier" to check where to fly, or is one more accurate/has more info than the other?
I ask as I fly close to the same areas and believe that "Can I fly there" seems to put a general vague 'don't fly' warning, whereas DC seems to give more specific 'can fly' info, albeit far more complex to understand.
It looks to me that CIFT is deliberately vague in its wording/zones to stop hobby RPA from mingling in these flight zones, especially the helicopter landing pads. Fair enough approach for the general public but I feel if I want to get some nice footage inner city & are prepared to fly safely and understand the regulations I should be able to depend on one of these definitively.
I believe both apps are connected to CASA.

Last edited:
I have both apps on the phone and usually use DC as it’s the one I started with via CASA links.
It does have some extra info that CIFT doesn’t show such as airport contacts info, but in reality would many bother calling up a regional airstrip before flying nearby, or even bother flying that close ?
I’ll possibly compare the 2 apps a bit more, but most likely stick with Drone Complier as my go to app.

I've been using the CIFT there app, just got Drone Complier the other day and it is much easier to understand in my opinion.

But in the end both seem to have the same maps which is good.

I think the last update broke the map. I mean seriously the whole sydney region is showing now as "Prohibited Zone" WTF... All aviation activities prohibited in the are, that is crazy, I mean ALL AVIATION. something is seriously wrong!

Scratch that, THE WHOLE AUSTRALIA IS MARKED LIKE THAT!

5c59a00ff3161aa4cfea737ef9df1e37.jpg
0bd875b76c0f97cbfe56571d89e65b49.jpg

Hello.

I'm from Brazil and I'm traveling to Australia, so I would like take my Mavic with me.

Could I fly anywhere? Like Blue Mountains, Great Ocean Road, Sydney and Melbourne parks?

Do I need any permits?

And for travelling? I will fly between Sydney and Melbourne. Is there any restriction to travel with my Mavic batteries?

I tryed to download app, but I can't,

Thank you

Daniel

Hello.

I'm from Brazil and I'm traveling to Australia, so I would like take my Mavic with me.

Could I fly anywhere? Like Blue Mountains, Great Ocean Road, Sydney and Melbourne parks?

Do I need any permits?

And for travelling? I will fly between Sydney and Melbourne. Is there any restriction to travel with my Mavic batteries?

I tryed to download app, but I can't,

Thank you

Daniel

Daniel, no you should download one of the apps, think they are both available for apple or android.
Probable you have a smart phone ?
If so, go to the app store you normally do, and search for . . .
Can I fly there ?
and
Drone Complier

Both are free downloads, supported by CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority).
You can download these before you come, lock onto the area here you wish to fly, hold finger down to drop a pin there and it will tell you if you can fly.

Blue Mountains might be off limits, depending if in a National Park controlled area . . . you can call local parks office and ask if you can fly in a particular place, not sure how often they grant approval.
You'd likely need to tell them exactly where, what you intend to film, how you will do it, for how long, and do it early morning when no people about.

Great Ocean Road, yes many places ok, but not 12 apostles and other Nat Parks areas.
Victorian Parks seem to have high restrictions and one of the less National Park friendly areas for hobby drone flyers.

Sydney, most is a no fly zone, the apps will show you.

Melbourne, very similar to Sydney, again check the apps.

Oh, travelling with the mavic in Oz, no probs, just take your batteries at usual half charge, isolate batteries so no shorts can occur (I use small plastic ziplocks), batteries must go in cabin bag . . . you can check the mavic body into baggage with no battery fitted, but I take my drone in cabin too, with a battery fitted in place.
Sometimes airport security take my mavic bag (at screening / xray) and ask what's inside, they check battery size and have never had an issue.

I just saw you say you can't download the apps ??
What are you using apple or android ?
What does the message say ?
Maybe you have to be in Australia to download, but I would have thought it would be fine to download anywhere.

Daniel, no you should download one of the apps, think they are both available for apple or android.
Probable you have a smart phone ?
If so, go to the app store you normally do, and search for . . .
Can I fly there ?
and
Drone Complier

Both are free downloads, supported by CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority).
You can download these before you come, lock onto the area here you wish to fly, hold finger down to drop a pin there and it will tell you if you can fly.

Blue Mountains might be off limits, depending if in a National Park controlled area . . . you can call local parks office and ask if you can fly in a particular place, not sure how often they grant approval.
You'd likely need to tell them exactly where, what you intend to film, how you will do it, for how long, and do it early morning when no people about.

Great Ocean Road, yes many places ok, but not 12 apostles and other Nat Parks areas.
Victorian Parks seem to have high restrictions and one of the less National Park friendly areas for hobby drone flyers.

Sydney, most is a no fly zone, the apps will show you.

Melbourne, very similar to Sydney, again check the apps.

Oh, travelling with the mavic in Oz, no probs, just take your batteries at usual half charge, isolate batteries so no shorts can occur (I use small plastic ziplocks), batteries must go in cabin bag . . . you can check the mavic body into baggage with no battery fitted, but I take my drone in cabin too, with a battery fitted in place.
Sometimes airport security take my mavic bag (at screening / xray) and ask what's inside, they check battery size and have never had an issue.

I just saw you say you can't download the apps ??
What are you using apple or android ?
What does the message say ?
Maybe you have to be in Australia to download, but I would have thought it would be fine to download anywhere.

Hello,
I have an Android Galaxy S6.
Google Play said "This app is incompatible with your device." I guess it is because my brazilian Google Account. Many developer forgot tourists.

I was able to download Drone Compiler app. I will send an e-mail do "Can I fly there" developer.
Thank you for your Answer.
Daniel

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hello,
I have an Android Galaxy S6.
Google Play said "This app is incompatible with your device." I guess it is because my brazilian Google Account. Many developer forgot tourists.

I was able to download Drone Compiler app. I will send an e-mail do "Can I fly there" developer.
Thank you for your Answer.
Daniel

No problems, enjoy your trip, you'll find lots of great places to fly, just stick with the CASA rules and other special restrictions in National Parks and some local council parks etc.

If found it online Daniel, this might help until you get here . . .
Can I Fly There?

Also this page . . .
Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

There are some areas of Sydney that have not been updated. It appears to me that Hoxton Park aerodrome is still listed, even though its now under the Big W DC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan