DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CASA Using tech for catching illegal use of RPAS

BTW. It doesn't take an army of "Drone Police" every 20kms or so laying in readiness to zap some errant sole who is just wanting to enjoy their hobby. Global geofencing will fix that "problem". I am pretty sure it is very close to be fully implemented already, where you will only be able to fly if you have been granted an "unlocking license". To be truly cynical, I suspect it will be a very simple next step for the territorial authorities of any country to add in a fee paying process to the front end of that unlocking activation! A tax by any other name - maybe.

. . . it would probably follow the ICAO is the "driver" of this imposed change to what was a loosely regulated flying activity

Yes, I was sort of thinking out loud there, but they might have half a dozen of the DJI drone tracker (Aeroscope) units in country, they can certainly deploy them to wherever they think there might be issues.
Eg, Sydney Harbour, a few of the major airports, perhaps some special events, etc.

Geofencing though only applies to DJI drones (at this stage), and while they make up a very good % of consumer drones bought in Oz, there are MANY others out there that may or may not be geofenced, or even trackable with Aeroscope.

You are probably right about ICAO . . .
https://www.icao.int/Meetings/UAS/Documents/Circular 328_en.pdf

And probably right about opportunity for a new backdoor tax !!

From the thread of another of today's posts there is reference to what should be compulsory reading for all UAV flyers;
"Elevating Safety".
DJI spell out "their" vision for the future of all UAV flying. They have not been shy with a boast that much of their development around UAV safety features have been developed by DJI, without the compulsion of government legislation.
The fact that DJI will incorporate ADS B into all future DJI aircraft will by default leave all other UAV manufacturers choking in their dust, because I suggest it will be very easy for all governments, through the ICAO, to simply make that the default standard, as they are more or less doing now with geofencing.

Last edited:
That fact DJI will incorporate ADS B into all future DJI aircraft will by default leave all other UAV manufacturers choking in their dust

Yes, this is a good development for sure.
As long as signals are also sent from small aircraft and helis flying low in the 400' and down airspace.

Reactions: Oglo
Which most don't have.....

Exactly, if / when CASA bring this in here (or the FAA in the US, CAA in the UK etc) then they will HAVE to expand manned aircraft transponders to all manned aircraft.
Even if it is a special one that simply provides a signal for use to avoid other small manned aircraft or drones, it doesn't have to work with ground control radar . . . one could understand why it's not required now, the clutter on their systems would be huge.

One of the pilots on another group I'm on says its about $30k to retro fit an ADB-S system to a light plane???
If thats true, I can't envisage many light aircraft owners complying????

I suppose tech is developing that rapidly, there will no doubt be something similar specifically for locating nearby aircraft and drones etc in the next few years.
Most likely DJI could develop something that could be installed cheaply in small aircraft, that could work as an alert or even make the item come up on the map in GO4.
If they bring in the system for their drones, there will HAVE to be an effort to get the signals coming from all aircraft, not just the larger commercial planes.

Reactions: Simmo
Wouldn’t it be sweet if nations did actively coordinate on drone licensing. Like is often done with driver’s licenses. Then traveling with a drone would be easier for all on multiple levels.
No, because you'd simply end up with the most restrictive of the rules everywhere.

Reactions: FoxhallGH

Interesting tech, but another negative representation of drone operators in the media
At the risk of getting back on track with the original post ... The 'interesting' thing here is that the equipment shown is the DJI 'Aeroscope' ... It detects DJI drones only, and the DJI drones that it detects are - in the main - running geo-fenced software ... So here's a box designed to detect the kind of drone that can't fly in the area you want to protect anyway!

Reactions: Simmo
All true. Although geofencing here in Australia is not so widespread. There are many places where you can penetrate airspace without being caught by geofence. It will also grab higher that 400ft and flying over populous areas. Not the ideal solution for all, but it will catch enough people for CASA to be able to say “see, we are doing something with enforcement”

At the risk of getting back on track with the original post ... The 'interesting' thing here is that the equipment shown is the DJI 'Aeroscope' ... It detects DJI drones only, and the DJI drones that it detects are - in the main - running geo-fenced software ... So here's a box designed to detect the kind of drone that can't fly in the area you want to protect anyway!

I feel it hasn't been off topic so far, all to do with airspace control of drones / safety as CASA aspire to.

I agree with you about just DJI drones being the target of the OP technology, and while they have a huge market share here in recent years, and it will grow, there are still a load of drones other than DJI.
The people that want to fly less restricted are probably going out of there way to buy them too !!

But pretty sure if Aeroscope can't track other drone signals now, it could easily be adapted / expanded to do it, surely ??
Or something else will be made by some anti drone company, if not already done.

As @anzacjack said, geofencing isn't good here by a long shot (yet).
While you can't fly (or even start motors) in some places very close to an airport (tested at a boundary fence of a major), you can take off in still NFZ areas nearby.

No, because you'd simply end up with the most restrictive of the rules everywhere.
Examples?

Aren't Canadas drone rules a little more stringent than the US ?
Just an example based on bits and pieces I'v picked up ready about changes in both countries.

Took this photo in a toy shop in Sydney yesterday, and we wonder why people are so often disgusting of drones. You don't see similar signs in camera stores selling big telephoto lenses.20190627_105747.jpg

That's a disgrace. What store is that please.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa