DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CASA Using tech for catching illegal use of RPAS

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions

Interesting tech, but another negative representation of drone operators in the media

Saw that report . . . as usual very sensationalised by the media, and surprisingly Peter Gisborne (CASA) !!
Drones are nowhere NEAR out of control in this country, hardly EVER see one anywhere I go.

This is likely to change as more hit the market, but many get them and simply lose interest and they collect dust, or they crash / fly away !! Lol.

I see this story and feel CASA are making things up as a way to boost budgets and relevance of themselves . . . just a little.

What is noticeable is all these developed (mainstream western) countries are bringing in almost cloned rules etc, and all at a very similar time.
It almost seems like it is organised between the agencies.

Wouldn’t it be sweet if nations did actively coordinate on drone licensing. Like is often done with driver’s licenses. Then traveling with a drone would be easier for all on multiple levels.

True, THAT would make the seeming collusion on 'bringing the hobby to bear' worthwhile !!

Wouldn’t it be sweet if nations did actively coordinate on drone licensing. Like is often done with driver’s licenses. Then traveling with a drone would be easier for all on multiple levels.

Won't it be nice if our respective governments concentrated on real problems? Global Warming, inflation, unemployment, ad naseum!

Won't it be nice if our respective governments concentrated on real problems? Global Warming, inflation, unemployment, ad naseum!

Absolutely !!
They all seem to worry about the minor things (making citizens lives more complex in the same instance) and not focus on the big picture . . . maybe the big picture frightens the hell out of them, so they ignore these issues, keep making themselves look busy with the 'fluff'.

And lets try and stay on topic not world issues guys.
Thanks

Reactions: Wendy205
And lets try and stay on topic not world issues guys.
Thanks

Although my post was facetious. It was about the sport/hobby we all love/enjoy/obsess over. And I'm not trying to be adversarial. On the contrary, it was my attempt to put the UAV community on notice the dangers of allowing our government officials distract us(the American public) from real issues by enacting laws, written by legislators who know nothing about our sport in an effort to gain popularity with a public which doesn't understand 1) Laws regulating UAVs which are already on the books, 2) What UAVs may and may do by laws in effect now.

A prime example of just how opportunistic our legislators can be is the present state of marijuana laws. For 30 plus years we were told marijuana was"...the assassin of youth...". Draconian laws and mandatory minimums have given us(the United States) the world's largest, per capita prison population of non-violent offenders. However, now, marijuana, we are told is a panacea. Curing everything from nausea to personality defects.

The UAV community must be ever vigilant and preventing asine laws, enforced by unknowing/uncaring government bureaucrats from being enacted.

I'll jump off my soapbox and promise never to go off track again!

Last edited:
Saw that report . . . as usual very sensationalised by the media, and surprisingly Peter Gisborne (CASA) !!
Drones are nowhere NEAR out of control in this country, hardly EVER see one anywhere I go.

This is likely to change as more hit the market, but many get them and simply lose interest and they collect dust, or they crash / fly away !! Lol.

I see this story and feel CASA are making things up as a way to boost budgets and relevance of themselves . . . just a little.

What is noticeable is all these developed (mainstream western) countries are bringing in almost cloned rules etc, and all at a very similar time.
It almost seems like it is organised between the agencies.

If i didn't know you better South _Oz, Id say you are coming across a little bit naive there
regarding Government agendas, the use of the press, and globalization.

If it's America's agenda, it kinda goes without saying it's the UK's agenda, and
sooner than later it filters down to the UK's satellite nations like Australia.

The news and Government Agencies get Ongoing 'To-Do' lists which they use to Liase with each
other.
For example, at your 9News teletyper 'Substation broke down' comes in. Is it newsworthy? No.
Can they use it to fill their -Fook Drones quota for that week, Sure! So they change it to "Drone breaks down
Substation" & like Geordie Shore. Wollah!

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
If it's America's agenda, it kinda goes without saying it's the UK's agenda, and
sooner than later it filters down to the UK's satellite nations like Australia.

Drones just seem so minuscule in World GOVCO (supposed) collaboration / world order sort of stuff, the mind kinda has trouble working out how / why all this drone reg stuff is happening NOW, probably within months of each other (UK, US, Australia), with licencing for hobbyists, new drone regs, fees, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, the UK is first off the line ?
I think their new structure is in place or very close.
The US is pretty much almost there, and Oz has it all on paper and going to introduce new rules in stages . . . I think we will get hobbyist stuff through into next year myself, after commercial protocols are put in place.

Anyway, only the responsible drone flyers will register their birds, get licensed, pay their fees, as usual the ones that want to fly how / where they want . . . unless there is actually some proactive policing, all drone laws are very reactive now, they wait until something happens then try and track down and punish the offender.

Not sure how this drone tech as in post 1 will be effective, they can't have one every 24km with an operator, waiting to zap the public like they do road speed cameras (can they ?).
I guess they can if the fines could pay for it.

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
I think ive mentioned once before, that outside of the RC Nerd Alert Fpv park in a suburb near me, and excluding Xmas day;
i have never seen a DJI drone Flyer or Drone
Also its worth mentioning that before i got a drone, i gave absolutely zero fooks about drones. I knew they existed, Id never seen one. They occupied %0.0000000000000001 of my care factor for the day.

So for a country as big as yours, i think it's ridiculous and you should take it your local MP

A lot of my thoughts have already been expressed by others, so I won't bore everyone with too much repetition.
I think that if the global pattern of UAV licensing around almost identical rules being put in place, within an almost identical time frame, in such diverse countries as USA, UK, Canada, Denmark, Norway, NZ, Australia and China is looked at cynically, it would probably follow the ICAO is the "driver" of this imposed change to what was a loosely regulated flying activity - compared to any other types of flying.
BTW. It doesn't take an army of "Drone Police" every 20kms or so laying in readiness to zap some errant sole who is just wanting to enjoy their hobby. Global geofencing will fix that "problem". I am pretty sure it is very close to be fully implemented already, where you will only be able to fly if you have been granted an "unlocking license". To be truly cynical, I suspect it will be a very simple next step for the territorial authorities of any country to add in a fee paying process to the front end of that unlocking activation! A tax by any other name - maybe. :rolleyes:o_O:mad:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31