DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CBO? Required?

JamesJB

Reactions
Hi guys since I have been digging deeper into the Rules and Regs I am getting confused on stuff.

Do I legally have to be part of a CBO or is it not necessary,I looked at a few and man there membership fees are expensive :( if they are Mandatory could someone link those guidelines?

I just recently got my TRUST which at the time I didn't know it was kinda Mandatory,I saw a YouTube video where a guy was fined for not having a Trust cert :( that scared me lol. They should include that url to take the TRUST with every drone.

As a Recreational Drone Pilot am I aloud to fly at night? I do have the strobes that can be seen 3+ miles.

Please help lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickmurray1989
Give this a read.

Reactions: GFields
You have to now fly under an FAA approved CBO. There are currently 3 (as of 1/14/23). You do not have to belong to one, and @pilotinstitute put out a great video explaining the differences between them.

As far as 3SM strobes, yes, you need them. Each CBO requires it for night flight.

You have to now fly under an FAA approved CBO. There are currently 3 (as of 1/14/23). You do not have to belong to one, and @pilotinstitute put out a great video explaining the differences between them.

As far as 3SM strobes, yes, you need them. Each CBO requires it for night flight.
I went and got the AMA handbook,is that ok? or is there something better I should get?

I am currently watching that video :)

I went and got the AMA handbook,is that ok? or is there something better I should get?

I am currently watching that video :)
Look at FPV Freedom Coalition and Flitetest Community Group. The links are in Greg's video. AMA would be my last choice if I were to fly under a CBO. AMA's is too convoluted in my opinion. And I'm an AMA member, and talk with Chad on regulatory issues fairly frequently. I just don't want to use their CBO safety code.

Look at FPV Freedom Coalition and Flitetest Community Group. The links are in Greg's video. AMA would be my last choice if I were to fly under a CBO. AMA's is too convoluted in my opinion. And I'm an AMA member, and talk with Chad on regulatory issues fairly frequently. I just don't want to use their CBO safety code.
I thought about FPV Freedom Coalition but isnt that just for FPV or doesnt that matter? I don't have a FPV drone.
If I would pay for membership the 2 ya suggested are a lot cheaper.

I picked Flitetest Community Group :)

I do wish Pilot Institute was a CBO though :)

Last edited:
As per links, you do not have to be a member of a CBO. You do have to be able to site a the CBO guidelines you have chosen to include the CBO that published the guidelines.

I thought about FPV Freedom Coalition but isnt that just for FPV or doesnt that matter? I don't have a FPV drone.
If I would pay for membership the 2 ya suggested are a lot cheaper.

I picked Flitetest Community Group :)

I do wish Pilot Institute was a CBO though :)
Greg and I talked about that. We also talked about maybe doing that with Drone Service Providers Alliance.

But since we're (DSPA) a 501(c)(6), and not a (c)(3), we'd have to change our charter. Also, since we're an advocacy group for commercial drone pilots, that would be mission creep for us.

Just remember, you don't have to belong to the CBO to use their safety code. It's nice to support them though if you do.

Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis