DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CE Version of Mavic Mini. Big disadvantages in UK and EU.

Doesnt mean its hardwired to always be FCC - means it can if needed do it. It'll likely still reduce to non FCC powers in a region where required otherwise it wouldnt receive certification to be imported or used there.
Why would they bother to produce 2 versions then? I guess FCC version will be only for US, hardwired, and not certified to import somewhere else. if you import it, you break law, not DJI.
Nasty surprise would be FCC Mavic mini refuses to fly in non FCC country:mad: ....

Last edited:
Most likely identical hardware but locked to accept different firmwares.

Nah, they hardly look at these devices anyway and probably have no idea what to look for spec-wise. It's probably not even illegal to own a FCC drone in the EU, as long as you don't fly it there.
If anything their main concern would probably be the battery. :)

This is the type plate of the EU version of the remote:
MavicMini_RC_EU.JPG

And this of the US version of the remote:
MavicMini_RC_US.JPG

There is either CE or FCC declaration. So IMHO there will be no switch between CE / FCC possible. So US pilots can only fly illegally the MM in EU.

Expect half the maximum quoted distance in the real world with noise and vegetation. So think around 250-300m for 5.8GHz. When I had a Spark it defaulted to 5.8GHz every time I flew, the only way to get 500m reliably was to set it in to 2.45GHz, manually, a bit of a pain.

This is still good for such a small drone.

Most likely identical hardware but locked to accept different firmwares.
That certainly seems to be the case as confirmed by the documentation accompanying DJi’s application for FCC certification.

Set in firmware at the factory.

424DA7C0-8A87-48A4-9570-48698FD981AB.jpeg

Reactions: mrkipling
Good find, likely some low level firmware too, not the "software firmware" where the features reside.

This is going to influence sales I think. I’m not keen on being stuck at around 500m range. I could live with about 1000, but 500m is a real backwards step.

Yes and what's the point of having a 30' battery if you can only out to 500 meters. Well I suppose you could take it on a hike and fly multiple times without changing batteries but that's not much of a plus !

Reactions: asko
If the remote's firmware can be replaced / unlocked, it will boost sales in Europe big times and decrease US imports :) For sure a lot of people will hesitate to purchase and wait till this is confirmed to be possible.

Perhaps DJI was forced for marketing purpose to use a firmware lock as the GPS based switching is to easy to fake to switch between FCC and CE modes and too well known at this stage :D.

Most likely the reviewers on youtube who got the mavic mini for free and signed NDA's etc. are too scared to try and talk about the GPS hack, to confirm if this works or not. So we will have to wait till more people get one into their hands and investigate.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Hi! I only registerd here because of this thread. I want to buy a mavic mini in the states and bring it to Europe. Will it fly in FCC mode and will the range be betther in Europe or will DJI block the signal somehow? I heard there won`t be a 2,4 GHz Signal in FCC mode but only 5,8? Can you tell me your opinion on this?
Thanks!

Another range test CE 2.4:

Summary at end: Max Dist 1580mt., Max Height 500mt. I would guess that its better than average conditions?

Last edited:
Another range test CE 2.4:

Summary at end: Max Dist 1580mt., Max Height 500mt. I would guess that its better than average conditions?
i am not going to bite with regards to this video,but you all know what i am thinking

? the video shows that there are extremely high number of connection losses...not that great honestly ?

? the video shows that there are extremely high number of connection losses...not that great honestly ?
Yes ofcourse it's sh**y CE wifi. Thats why we all looking how to achieve more power since CE is useless for stable connection.

Last edited:
Yes ofcourse it's sh**y CE wifi. Thats why we all looking how to achieve FCC since CE is useless for stable connection.
It is pretty sure that DJI this time blocked fcc at MT1SD25 / MR1SD25 models....other than importing one from US, CA or AUS there is no chance this time to get fcc in europe or other ce countries...

Last edited:
It is pretty sure that DJI this time blocked fcc at MTSSD25 models....other than importing one from US, CA or AUS there is no chance this time to get fcc in europe or other ce countries...
Never say never. Mini is not even officially out in the shops yet and there is already a group of users who trying to tweak batteries for 25% more flying time :) When people around the world gets their CE minis and will find useless range will brainstorm together and sooner or later one will solve the problem one way or another. I think that probably they are identical drones and remote controls, just software versions will be different and that make power difference. Just to find the way how to load fcc version instead of ce on it or modify software and we win :)

Reactions: Ping^Spike
We shall see but I suspect the FCC vs CE is done at a very low firmware level and thus hard to "modify".

What's that battery mod ? Replacing the 2400 18650 cells by 3400 cells ?

We shall see but I suspect the FCC vs CE is done at a very low firmware level and thus hard to "modify".

What's that battery mod ? Replacing the 2400 18650 cells by 3400 cells ?
Yes replacing cells with different stronger ones and analyzing their effects.

Reactions: webvan
It is pretty sure that DJI this time blocked fcc at MT1SD25 / MR1SD25 models....other than importing one from US, CA or AUS there is no chance this time to get fcc in europe or other ce countries...
Australia will be CE too. Everywhere is except where FCC has authority.. which is north america and canada.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet