DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I just recently came from Quito Ecuador. Flew from Cali Colombia to Transfered in Esmeralda and Went to Quito Ecuador. I did not have any problems with Customs. I took out the propellors and hid the drone in my luggage. Did not get searched. Its legal to bring it. But they have this weird rule. If the drone is more than 500 dollars it must be taxed(there are no good drones below 500). Just put it in your check in luggage and odds are high it will not get searched. I posted my pictures on my instagram: Estebond_ambriz

Reactions: Ecuador Live
As mentioned above, the current law in Ecuador states that a drone over $500 brought into the country is subject to import taxes. Plan on around 40% of market value if customs assess a tax. They'll determine market value by checking Amazon.

The only way around this is to prove that it is for a legitimate business use i.e., with a tax registration or other similar document. I have an Aerial Photography business registered with the tax service, but I still don't declare my equipment I bring from the US because I prefer to avoid the hassle if at all possible.

I have heard that in Peru you get the money back when you leave the country, but I have never heard of that being the case here in Ecuador.

Realistically, it is not very likely that they would find a Mavic or similar drone, but they would probably find a Phantom, as they run bags through X-ray machines.

Laws here change pretty often, so also be sure to check the date of any information you're going by.

South America overall is really friendly when it comes to flying a drone. There are a few countries that ask for a registration step or an import tax/deposit but its pretty fair and clear for most of them. After looking at the world's rules, it turns out to actually be the friendliest country to fly your drone if we consider no countries have effectively banned the use of drones :)

I've summed up South America's drone rules but its open to change especially after the attack in Venezuela..

South_America_drone_rules.png

Unfortunately we really can't say the same for Central America with Nicaragua, Cuba and Belize blocking any foreigner to enter the country with their drone unless there is a commercial approved need for it.. If anyone has further experience in these countries with their drone I would love to chat with you and learn from it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki