DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chances of Mavic 3's new "Vision Assist" heading down the line?

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
"Vision Assist," one of the new features for the Mavic 3 series being unwrapped today in v.1.11.4 of the Fly app, is pretty spectacular.

It allows you to view the picture from the obstacle avoidance cameras as you fly (so you can look and fly sideways while shooting straight ahead, for example...). Details here:

Do we know if there's any technical reason this couldn't be added to the Air 3's features?

I foresee it will come, as they are the same vision sensors as on the M3 series and we have seen other features eventually(inevitably) stream down the line from DJI's top tier series before.
Cool; thank you. So they are largely the same sensors as the Mavic 3's? I wasn't sure.

This feature will be added to the Air 3 and likely the mini3 pro, and definitely on the mini4. There's zero hardware differences to how the OA cameras are connected and accessed so its a simple FW update. Its a nice feature on my Classic, definitely a better view of the space around you in tight quarters and it works independently from the OA. Meaning you can use it even when OA is unavailable or turned off.

This feature will be added to the Air 3 and likely the mini3 pro, and definitely on the mini4. There's zero hardware differences to how the OA cameras are connected and accessed so its a simple FW update. Its a nice feature on my Classic, definitely a better view of the space around you in tight quarters and it works independently from the OA. Meaning you can use it even when OA is unavailable or turned off.
Fingers crossed! It seems like too cool a feature (and too obviously something they could add to the other models) to keep to the Mavic 3 line, but you never know.

Reactions: Torque and 3rdof5
Fingers crossed! It seems like too cool a feature (and too obviously something they could add to the other models) to keep to the Mavic 3 line, but you never know.
What really amazes me is this; the Mavic 3 Aircraft introduced and released in November of 2021. Almost 2 years ago. And how many features have they added over that time simply with FW updates. What does that say about the Hardware capabilities of this aircraft on day 1 out of the box? Amazing, and they still are adding new features to this same airframe.

"Vision Assist," one of the new features for the Mavic 3 series being unwrapped today in v.1.11.4 of the Fly app, is pretty spectacular.

It allows you to view the picture from the obstacle avoidance cameras as you fly (so you can look and fly sideways while shooting straight ahead, for example...). Details here:

Do we know if there's any technical reason this couldn't be added to the Air 3's features?
Well, this seems cool.

I’m hoping they bring it to the inspire 3.

Reactions: Thmoore
I checked my Air3 Firmware and updated it today to the latest to (RC) v 01.00.0700 and Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0400 so now I go check it and see what the improvements are. I know this is not the same as mention v 1.11.04 for the Vision Assist but maybe that one will come out soon.

I don't know... don't make the mistake of judging this on hardware alone, and forgetting product positioning.

My opinion matches @bkushner's in post #4 – this is a product differentiation move, to keep the M3 at the top. It will be a while, if ever, for this to be added to the A3, doubt it will make it at all to the Mini 4P, 100% certain the Mini3P will never get it.

Just like the Mini3P is more than capable of doing waypoints – it does with Hyperlapse – but will never get the waypoint feature that is in the M3 and A3.

I don't know... don't make the mistake of judging this on hardware alone, and forgetting product positioning.

My opinion matches @bkushner's in post #4 – this is a product differentiation move, to keep the M3 at the top. It will be a while, if ever, for this to be added to the A3, doubt it will make it at all to the Mini 4P, 100% certain the Mini3P will never get it.

Just like the Mini3P is more than capable of doing waypoints – it does with Hyperlapse – but will never get the waypoint feature that is in the M3 and A3.
Absolutely agreed. And it would be pretty good product positioning indeed!

But before we get to product positioning, the question is: Can the Air 3 hardware even do it? If the answer is No, then I don't need to go to sleep dreaming I'll wake up to it one morning.

From what I understand is that anywhere there is a Sensor there is a camera and so there all possible with the right update as the Tiny black and white camreas are already there.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water.

Absolutely agreed. And it would be pretty good product positioning indeed!

But before we get to product positioning, the question is: Can the Air 3 hardware even do it? If the answer is No, then I don't need to go to sleep dreaming I'll wake up to it one morning.

Isn't the A3 already doing it? It has to process the imagery from those cameras already for Obstacle Avoidance. This is simply overlaying the video data on the live stream, which computationally is trivial enough it can be completely ignored as an issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne