DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chances of Mavic 3's new "Vision Assist" heading down the line?

I'll add that it doesn't look like what is being displayed is simply the image being captured by those cameras. Rather, it's been processed and cropped. To wit:
  • First, the feature isn't presented as switching between corner diagonal views. You select forward, back, right, left views, while the cameras are pointing along the diagonals.
  • These are not 50mm equivalent cameras. They're 180° wide angle, producing the familiar fish-eye distortion. This distortion appears to be corrected, and the front and upper parts of the image cropped out.
  • L/R views appear to be from the front OA cameras only, cropping out the forward view from the camera. Notice you see the front prop, but not the back on the sideways view.
Now, does this really matter for seeing potential problems while moving sideways? Probably not, because the FOV of the front cameras is sufficient to see anything to the side unless its closer than half a meter, according to diagram from the manual:

Screenshot_20230907_152835_Drive.jpg

As I have eluded to in another post, the Mavic 3 is the
Isn't the A3 already doing it? It has to process the imagery from those cameras already for Obstacle Avoidance. This is simply overlaying the video data on the live stream, which computationally is trivial enough it can be completely ignored as an issue.
You are correct. Of the 3 aircraft being compared, the mini 3 pro, the Air 3, and (any) Mavic 3, which all have full OA, the Mavic 3 is the oldest of the hardware, so, the newer airframes are JUST as capable of the same feature. It comes down to what DJI allows in it's FW.

Isn't the A3 already doing it? It has to process the imagery from those cameras already for Obstacle Avoidance. This is simply overlaying the video data on the live stream, which computationally is trivial enough it can be completely ignored as an issue.
Maybe! I didn’t know whether there was any difference between the Mavic 3 and the Air 3 sensors. I thought I’d read somewhere that the Mavic 3 had true 360º obstacle avoidance, and that the Air wasn’t quite there.

Mavic mini & Mini 2 ????????
I’m going to guess that the answer’s no on this one, I’m sorry. Those two excellent little drones have no obstacle avoidance sensors at all, except top and bottom.

Reactions: Torque
If they're going to call it "Vision Assist" then that probably means they plan to actually do something with it. Sticking into an old model via a software update and letting it languish isn't very effective. My guess is once the DJI Air 3 team hears about it, they'll want it too.

Reactions: 3rdof5
"Vision Assist," one of the new features for the Mavic 3 series being unwrapped today in v.1.11.4 of the Fly app, is pretty spectacular.

It allows you to view the picture from the obstacle avoidance cameras as you fly (so you can look and fly sideways while shooting straight ahead, for example...). Details here:

Do we know if there's any technical reason this couldn't be added to the Air 3's features?
The Air3 has same sensors, but i dont know about the processor capacity. This new feature uses more processing to deal and transmit other video at the same time, so i am curious if the Air3 processer can handle that.

Reactions: BearMan54
So the camera is already being processed by the sensor , all they added was a means to see it on the Controller and this is where the Processing needs to take place. With that said , I think we will see it very soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. land on the Water,

So the camera is already being processed by the sensor , all they added was a means to see it on the Controller and this is where the Processing needs to take place. With that said , I think we will see it very soon.

Phantomrain.org
You also have to keep in mind the new O4 transmission protocol, does (or will) the Air 3 have the ability to transmit that video back to the RC. It's one thing to be able to process the data on board the aircraft, which I'm sure the Air 3 would be quite capable of, but its sending that data back to the RC is what the Mavic 3's O3+ transmission is now doing.

I think it will be a tier upgrade only - hence them all getting it in the range, not just the Pro.

Reason? It’s the Pro tier. Needs to be distinguished from the lower tiers.

Might be wrong 🙃

Phantomrain.org

And since that's a simple overlay operation for the GPU, the additional work might not even be measurable.

Quick question. Does the info from the oa sensors get processed in the drone or by the remote? If it's by the remote is it processed by the rc or mobile device?

Quick question. Does the info from the oa sensors get processed in the drone or by the remote? If it's by the remote is it processed by the rc or mobile device?
If you shut off your remote and disconnect it from teh drone, I believe the drone will return home and will use OA to avoid a collision.

Reactions: Thmoore
I'll take bets on this... There's no way they add that to the Air 3. Maybe next year to the Air 4, they'll need something to tempt people to upgrade. But otherwise for that big cost difference of the m3p they can't just say, hey you get a bigger sensor and a zoom. They need to offer some other features and this is a good one.

It also fits in a top of the line model, as a lot of people buying the A3 will never even use it if it's included. Those of us on the forum are really into our gear and features. But they sell buckets of these drones and the A3 is meant for an average drone user for the most part as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N