DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Change your props after any off road excursion.....

I use airdata and it has a service interval programme. My pal and i were on a wee flying trip, and in the evening over a beer we followed the services required for all the aircraft. We found a number of props had very small damage, but what surprised us was how slack some of the bushes were. Most were not noticable on the aircraft, but 2 were surprisingly bad, and i think we changed 4 sets of props across the 9 drones we had with us. We also noted that all the DJI prop bushes were tighter than the after market props we had. In the end we binned a lot of props, some unused after market ones, which were just not good enough. Holding the prop at one end, some were stiff and stayed straight, some drooped a little and some basically flopped over, and had a little vertical wobble as well. It was an interesting exercise, and we now plan to follow the service programme provided

just a thought...the blades do look a little rough, but you might try using very fine( 900-1200 grit) emory cloth and lightly sand them smooth again. I know that this may not be as good as replacement blades , but it will do in a pinch...fly smart fly safe
I'm sorry, I just can't get behind this.

There's wayyy too many variables. The trailing edge, the tip, the shape, aerodynamics...

Don't get me wrong, I've flown cracked props on my Spark, didn't want to, but I did. It's just not smart. IMHO

I'm sorry, I just can't get behind this.

There's wayyy too many variables. The trailing edge, the tip, the shape, aerodynamics...

Don't get me wrong, I've flown cracked props on my Spark, didn't want to, but I did. It's just not smart. IMHO
I do agree 100% ...how ever if you're in the field w/out extras this could be an alternative to calling it quits for the day, like I said it will do in a pinch...very lightly to buff out the edges and not changing the airfoil of the props

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I do agree 100% ...how ever if you're in the field w/out extras this could be an alternative to calling it quits for the day, like I said it will do in a pinch...very lightly to buff out the edges and not changing the airfoil of the props
You know, now that you say this, I remember watching a video a while back where somebody had cut MA1 props to fit a Spark.

Surprisingly, it worked. I think it was louder for sure, but worked.

So Im thinking filing them would be fine... As a temporary fix.
End flight, immediately get new props.

Reactions: xunhui
Like many of us, I have occasionally trimmed some tree branches or blades of grass and ground clutter. I had some props that had what I thought was cosmetic damage, but when ahead and changed them for new - big difference in control and quiet - I wondered why.

Took the props home and looked at them under a microscope and they were more damaged and I anticipated.

2020-09-16%2015.11.31-L.jpg

2020-09-16%2015.13.41-L.jpg

2020-09-16%2015.15.23-L.jpg

2020-09-16%2015.16.14-L.jpg

I plan on being more aggressive on changing them out - a full set at a time with factory blades when any question arises.

Z
That is an eye-opener! I will change more often I think!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato