DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charge iPhone whilst using controller

zilog

Reactions
The MM controller spanks the battery on my elderly iPhone pretty quickly! Anyone know if this dual lightning adapter would work so I can charge the phone from a power bank whilst using the controller?

Or would I need to use a micro-USB OTG -> USB splitter arrangement as shown in this thread?

it is not the controller that is spanking your elderly iphone it is the app that is using up the battery, you need avery app on your phone that is not required for flying to be disabled ,and disable Cache to device so as not to be using any power also switch on airplane mode you dont say what iphone you have but it sounds like the app is making it work very hard it requires a lot of the operating system during use

Does the controller charge the iphone, like it does for android devices, or even give that as an option? However, from my experience (android only) the controller charges the phone very slowly and doesn't quite make up for the drain on the battery from the app/screen -ie despite the controller charging the phone the phone's battery charge % goes down.

Reactions: old man mavic
Does the controller charge the iphone, like it does for android devices, or even give that as an option? However, from my experience (android only) the controller charges the phone very slowly and doesn't quite make up for the drain on the battery from the app/screen -ie despite the controller charging the phone the phone's battery charge % goes down.
if possible you need a dedicated device for flying, with as many apps as possible disabled, no video cached to device, and you will stand a good chance of success, if you look in the manual,it states maximum controller run time, ios device 4.5 hours Android device 1 hour 40 mins quite a difference

Does the controller charge the iphone, like it does for android devices, or even give that as an option?
doesn't look like it unfortunately!
if possible you need a dedicated device for flying, with as many apps as possible disabled
Makes sense, seems a bit wasteful though unless you already have something appropriate lying around! I actually do have an older iPhone SE that's not being used much as it's no longer updatable, so I'll try that, perhaps the DJI app will still work!

There is a Settings option to disable background refresh globally (or on a per app basis) so I've done that, hopefully that'll eek out a bit more battery too.

Reactions: old man mavic
doesn't look like it unfortunately!
Makes sense, seems a bit wasteful though unless you already have something appropriate lying around! I actually do have an older iPhone SE that's not being used much as it's no longer updatable, so I'll try that, perhaps the DJI app will still work!

There is a Settings option to disable background refresh globally (or on a per app basis) so I've done that, hopefully that'll eek out a bit more battery too.
personally i think that one of the main failings of any drone ,is the fact that in the advertising,and the reviews on the net, very little is made of the requirements of the device being used to view the camera,and it is not till you actually purchase a drone that you fully understand what is involved,the DJI apps are very good for flying their drones, but they require a lot of the devices resources to operate them, also i think more should be made of the fact that additional cost is involved for such devices,at the point of sale,as it is quite a large amount to add to the cost of the drone,i think there are going to be many many new MM owners this christmas ,who cant fly their drones ,because they do not have a suitable device to do so

Reactions: WooZie
that is the truth, i ordered my mini but when came i was stuck because my phone is moto g5 and the app is incompatible with it, so to be able to fly i had to ask for a phone to my friends. Now i have a phone only for flying :))) but like Omm said, all have to consider other spending money to fly

Best thing you can do to resolve iPhone batteries issues is to repla the battery, iPhone 6 are notorious for dying, I replaced my battery with a cheap eBay special and haven’t had any issues for the last 12 months.

I am also interested to know whether you could use the referenced cable adapter below to connect to an iOS device (in my case an iPad Pro) to a Mavic Controller (in my case a Mavic 2 Zoom controller) and at the same time connect an external power bank to keep the IOS device charged while using it to fly. Anyone ever tried it?
Headphone Jack Adapter, KOOPAO 2 in 1 Dual Earphone Dongle AUX Audio Music & Adaptor Cable Connector compatible with iPhone 7 8 8Plus X XR XS MAX Support IOS System and later: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If not this cable is there any other cable adapter with a lightning port that can also take an external power bank to charge simultaneously?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d