DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging an almost fully charged battery

WebMaximus

Reactions
Just got a Mavic Air and now I'm trying to find information if charging a battery that is already within 80-100% of its capacity could damage the battery or shorten its expected lifetime? Already looked through the manual and did find plenty of information in there but unfortunately not the answer to this particular question.

Reason for me asking is being new to the Mavic Air, I play around a lot in the menus without flying where the battery when I'm done often ends up at let's say somewhere between 80-100% or so. Considering the rather short flight time, I would of course always like the battery to be at 100% before I go out flying. I'm just not sure if charging a battery that already is close to fully charged is a good thing...

At this point I only have one battery and I'm using the standard DJI charger that came with the drone.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom guys!

In my experience there are no memory issues with LIPO batteries so charging back to normal voltage from eg: 90% should not be an issue, just let them cool before recharging. I would be more concerned about having the drone running too hot for too long idle on a table and hearing cooling fans run hard for lengthy periods without flying.

Running LIPO batteries too low is a bigger problem and you should avoid this. DJI batteries have some great on board technologies to prevent you doing this.

Get it off the desk ASAP and hover the bird in the sky where it belongs :+)

Perfect, thanks for the quick response and I'm actually on my way to do the maiden flight as we speak :)

Have a great day ! ... just a little tip. Always remember to give the Air a moment in hover and confirm your location on the map before flying away. Pushing the return to home button is a winner provided you follow this golden rule every flight ;+)

Reactions: StevenM and JDawg
Just got a Mavic Air and now I'm trying to find information if charging a battery that is already within 80-100% of its capacity could damage the battery or shorten its expected lifetime? Already looked through the manual and did find plenty of information in there but unfortunately not the answer to this particular question.

Reason for me asking is being new to the Mavic Air, I play around a lot in the menus without flying where the battery when I'm done often ends up at let's say somewhere between 80-100% or so. Considering the rather short flight time, I would of course always like the battery to be at 100% before I go out flying. I'm just not sure if charging a battery that already is close to fully charged is a good thing...

At this point I only have one battery and I'm using the standard DJI charger that came with the drone.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom guys!
Recharging from 80/90% back to full is no problem and won't even count as a charge cycle in the battery circuit board. If Battery is close to full then battery electronics won't let it charge anyway. Same if battery is to hot, won't charge.
Worst thing is to leave in full discharged state or discharge below 10%.

The first flight was great but I quickly realized one battery is not enough so I will get at least one extra battery or maybe I'll return my package and replace it with the fly more combo package instead to get the 2 extra batteries plus the other stuff that comes with the fly more combo package.

Anyway, very happy with the drone itself and how small and yet competent it is compared to my old Phantom 2 Vision+ I had in the past.

I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with this one going forward :)

Reactions: KangaAir
The first flight was great but I quickly realized one battery is not enough so I will get at least one extra battery or maybe I'll return my package and replace it with the fly more combo package instead to get the 2 extra batteries plus the other stuff that comes with the fly more combo package.

Anyway, very happy with the drone itself and how small and yet competent it is compared to my old Phantom 2 Vision+ I had in the past.

I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with this one going forward :)

:+) awesome! .... batteries could be a little less expensive but I reckon it is a cheap outlay especially if it can keep you up in the air longer. Enjoy sport mode, it is an absolute pocket rocket when you are in the right surroundings to do it. When I filmed recently in the Burgenland wind farm a portion of the aerial work was filmed switching back and forth to sport mode.

I actually tried sports mode briefly on the maiden flight yesterday and it sure turned the drone into a rocket :)

Assuming it's like the Pro and Phantom, turning the battery on will allow a quick top up if it dropped a couple of points being stored or briefly used.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sathwik