DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging out in the wild

I have several Mophie XXL's and they work great!

Don't get bitten by Amazon, shop directly from Zagg here. $29.95!!!

Seeing as they were on sale, I just picked up two more. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ufgatorvet
What are the charging times for the standard and extended capacity like?

Do they get much longer as the battery bank charge level and voltage decline?

Thanks.

I'm not an electronics engineer, so the smarter people here please correct me if I'm wrong.

We go camping quite a bit. We have an older small 5th wheel that we haul into some pretty remote areas. No power for miles. Because it's an older 5th wheel it only has a converter and I haven't bothered to upgrade to an inverter. I put in a charging port on a 12V line, but it's only a 5V/2.1amp...so essentially 10 watts of charging power on a 12V line

now, according the DJI:

1659909741307.png

so theoretically, a power bank that delivers a 60Watt charge would be the fastest. I say theoretically because I am not sure of the quality of some of those power banks and how safe they would be for a DJI battery. I also am skeptical there are any that will charge that fast. I have also seen some fairly deceptive listings. Power Banks claimed to deliver 60 watts but that is the cumulative total of all their charging ports. They are really only delivering 20W max or less. There can also be a listed mix of output and input charge levels...which can be confusing

I have a couple of power banks that deliver either 18W or 20W on a type C in/out port. So those power banks charge much faster than my 10W camper system. I actually carry 4 different power banks when we go out camping. I use them on the drone batteries and devices and charge the PB's from the 12V system. If a 50,000 mha power bank is below 50% charge it will take 10 or more hours to get it back to 100%. But that same PB can charge a mostly discharged Mini 2 battery (2250 mha) in 1-2 hours. Be much longer with the plus batteries for the Mini 3

so theoretically, a power bank that delivers a 60Watt charge would be the fastest. I say theoretically because I am not sure of the quality of some of those power banks and how safe they would be for a DJI battery.

If the charger is listed as PD as recommended by DJI, is it possible for it to be unsafe and damage the battery? Know zero about batteries, thanks for your patience!

We use the "cigarette lighter" port in our van and the cable that came with our DJI Mavic Pro 2 that plugs into that port. That charges one battery. If I need to charge a 2nd battery at the same time, I use an AC converter plugged into the other cigarette lighter port we have, then I plug the DJI supplied charger into that but I can only charge one battery at a time with that. We own four batteries. So, I can be charging one while I fly the next battery. When that battery dies I put it on the charger with the AC converter. At that point 1 &2 are charging. I then fly the 3rd and 4th batteries and by that time 1 & 2 are charged. Honestly, I rarely do this. Four batteries usually gets me all the video and photos I need for a job.

One on job, I got tons of video for a client in the morning. We then took a lunch break ands watched much of the video I shot. While we were having lunch, I charged all four of my batteries with a quad charger that charges four simultaneously. The restaurant was nice enough to let me plug into an outlet next to where were easting. The client wanted a few more shots and by the time lunch was done, all four batteries were charged so I had plenty for the last few shots I needed in the afternoon.

One more thought. You could purchased one of those large power stations like an EcoFlow Delta or Delta Mini. They are expensive but then you have a unit that will not only charge drone batteries but will power your home refrigerator during a power outage and has many other uses!

I use an inverter and a leisure battery i have charged 4 beatteries twice and the rc pro twice and the battery wasnt flat obviously not portable but i never use more than 4 batteries in a day]

Reactions: Capt KO
I use the Xtar dual case with 2 Tesla Model 3 NCR21700 5000mah in field for any type C devices very fast and sample. Will charge phone, tablet or drone

Refresh from 50% in 30 mins about 80mins for complete charge

ABout 20 usd for Xtar 40 usd for 2 model 3 Tesla batteries

Attachments

• 20220808_113357.jpg
    20220808_113357.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220808_113414.jpg
    20220808_113414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
If you want a lot of bang for the buck, I suggest getting an AC/DC/USB power bank with enough juice to charge many batteries as well as run any additional equipment. It will come in handy at other opportunities than just drones. (A drone is pictured in the description). 3lb and less cost than what you’re looking at.

I use an inverter and a leisure battery i have charged 4 beatteries twice and the rc pro twice and the battery wasnt flat obviously not portable but i never use more than 4 batteries in a day]
Inverters are endlessly useful when away from home..never leave home without it. New vehicles have them built in. Motorcycle battery works too for mobility..AC anywhere.

Just a reminder for those who may not be aware, when choosing a portable battery bank you cannot simply divide the capacity of the battery bank by the mAh of the drone battery to see how many times you can use it, that isn't how it works. Not saying anyone here doesn't know that, just in general I find that is what a lot of people (understandably) assume to be true and it isn't.

Also, current is pulled, not pushed, so buying the most powerful charger or power bank isn't going to do anything for you if the battery isn't designed for it.

Reactions: Lister and MS Coast
Automotive (cigar lighter port) inverters are stupid cheap. Most will deliver over 100W, more than enough for our needs.

I recharge my e-bike while driving, so drone batteries are a doddle. The e-bike charger label rates it at 150W and my inverter is rated at 300W. More than enough headroom. It charges the e-bike's 600 Wh battery in about 5 hours of driving.

I'm sure already asked and answered, sorry if it has and I can't find it ..

How are you charging on the go? Mini 3 Pro

Would something like this work?

Thanks for any experience you may be able to share!
I'm using Nitecore NB20000. I can connect it to both my battery hub and my RC simultaneously, and it will go 3 full charges of all 3 batteries plus the RC. It is a beast. What's even better is that it passes airport security inspection without a problem.

20220812_234500.jpg

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I have several Mophie XXL's and they work great!

Don't get bitten by Amazon, shop directly from Zagg here. $29.95!!!

Seeing as they were on sale, I just picked up two more. 🤷‍♂️
How many batt charges can you get from one full Mophie? How heavy is it? Thanks

The mophie has a capacity of 19.5Ah at 3.7V, that's 72Wh, optimistic efficiency is 70%, so 50.5Wh useable.
The Mini3Pro standard battery is 18.1Wh.
50.5 / 18.1 = 2.8 batteries.

Just to add a bit: I have used many battery banks but these are my go-to at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YCR7FR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Same price on Amazon as buying the Mophie direct. Seems to be a pretty even comparison. I just ordered a Mophie XXL to compare.

A few other points. I never put a hot battery on a charger. This is one of the fastest ways to reduce the battery's service life and full-charge voltage. I usually have 5 good batteries for each aircraft. I start charging batt1 at the end of batt2's flight, so at least 30-40 minutes of cool down before recharge. I always have 2-3 battery banks with me so I can charge multiple items without worrying about current load or plug availability. I also have a cigarette adapter for my Air2/Air2s multi-charger, so I can also use that if needed, but it's pretty rare that I do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard