DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging your battery after a flight

Austromark

Reactions
Hello Pilots!
Charging your battery after a flight.
After a flight I usually like to let my batteries sit inside for at least a hour to cool down,then charge them once again,I was wondering what practices do you follow once you have flown? regarding if you want to fly again asap without stressing the cells.
In the pdf manual it quotes:To charge an intelligent flight battery after flight,remove it from the aircraft and attach it to the AC power adaptor.
Or is this enough to do after a flight and let the intelligent battery work out when its dropped to a correct temperature to charge itself?!
Thanks marrs

Reactions: eaglesurfing
I normally don't have the need to charge right after a flight, but if I did I would let the battery cool down to the temps specified in the User Manual for charging. Page 25, Mavic Air 2 User Manual 1.4 - "Temperature Detection: In order to protect itself, the battery only charges when the temperature is between 41° and 104° F (5°and 40° C)."

I normally don't have the need to charge right after a flight, but if I did I would let the battery cool down to the temps specified in the User Manual for charging. Page 25, Mavic Air 2 User Manual 1.4 - "Temperature Detection: In order to protect itself, the battery only charges when the temperature is between 41° and 104° F (5°and 40° C)."
thanks for your reply and thats great that is listed in your manual...How exactly would you be able to control the temperature of your battery?

I never recharge my batteries until I ready to fly again. If I am going early in the morning then I would do it the night before. You never know what the weather will bring or what might happen to make so you will not need them.
One of the most discussed subject on the forum has been about batteries. If you do a search you will get pages after pages of results.

I never recharge my batteries until I ready to fly again. If I am going early in the morning then I would do it the night before. You never know what the weather will bring or what might happen to make so you will not need them.
One of the most discussed subject on the forum has been about batteries. If you do a search you will get pages after pages of results.
Yes your correct,lots about batteries on the site BUT couldn't find any information regarding "Charging your battery after a flight" for the mavic 2 series.

Normally I don't need to charge immediately as we have enough batteries to fly for a couple hours but... once in a while we do need to get the charge cycle going sooner than later. I have no problem putting a "warm" battery on the charger because the internal Smarts in the battery won't charge it until it's internal temps are down to an acceptable level. If it's too warm the battery gives an error indicator LED sequence and does this until the internal temps are back within range and starts the charge cycle.

Like Big Al sez, there's smarts in it. That said, I usually let it sit for awhile just for good measure, but unless you're in a very hot place, it will start to cool down right away outside of the aircraft. I set it in some shade with sides exposed and give it at least a 1/2 hour.

To those saying "Don't charge it until ready to fly again", we're obviously talking about scenarios where you are flying and going through your batteries and know that you will still be flying after your last battery is depleted. This happens to me frequently often on road trips, when I have a busy day of photography.

Chris

LiPo "smart" battery management issues (any LiPo battery, actually) was discussed to death since the DJI empire rise from the dust a mere 6-7 years ago ... Generally speaking the idea is to keep batteries at 55-60% charge (2 LEDs solid, 3rd LED blinking) between flights. Therefore, once the battery cools down after flight, try to charge it just to this level. Naturally nothing wrong will happen if you do it a day or two later, but don't leave it low for longer periods. The same applies to a fully charged batteries: try not to rely exclusively on a self-discharging feature, force discharge down to 55% instead ASAP ...

Don't be too religious about this issue, LOL. BTW, this device will greatly help to maintain your batteries:
Calibrate Inspire, Mavic, Matrice, Phantom, Yuneec batteries with the Phantom Angel

If I know I'm going to be doing multiple flights when not at home I will bring an ice cooler and cool my batteries before re-charging them... or at least cool them until they are only luke warm. If at home, I use the fridge - the wife really likes that ;-)

I don't think I've ever encountered a time when the M2 batteries weren't sufficiently cool to charge once I get home. 2 out of the three would be cool before I left the field.

Now my P3 was a different matter. The case I use for the P3 has pockets for the batteries and tends to insulate them where they don't cool very fast. In that case I have to wait about 1/2 hour with batteries in the house out of the case before it would let me charge. If I left them out of the case after flying, then the 20 minutes of the next flight sufficiently cooled down the battery I just used.

If I know I'm going to be doing multiple flights when not at home I will bring an ice cooler and cool my batteries before re-charging them... or at least cool them until they are only luke warm. If at home, I use the fridge - the wife really likes that ;-)
Strange,what ever works for you.
But surely condensation must be on your side.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User