DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap Android Tablet for Mavic

David_Paz

Reactions
Recommendations for cheap tablet 7" < $150 for Mavic. I have read several discussions, I was wondering if there is a new cheap tablet. I am looking for updates in this topic.

Recommendations for cheap tablet 7" < $150 for Mavic. I have read several discussions, I was wondering if there is a new cheap tablet. I am looking for updates in this topic.

+1 For an Nvidia Shield....

Unless you want something that fits directly into the Mavic RC .... the Shield will only fit into the RC if you make some small changes otherwise you need to use a tablet mount ( there are lots of these ) or the S clips which I liked better than the tablet holders.

Reactions: David_Paz
Get the shield it seems to be the best option from what I have been reading!! But I'll be the judge when I try it out. I know the Dji Go 4 app for Android is garbage .

All I know with my HTC M10 is the worst with the Go 4 app.

+1 For an Nvidia Shield....

Unless you want something that fits directly into the Mavic RC .... the Shield will only fit into the RC if you make some small changes otherwise you need to use a tablet mount ( there are lots of these ) or the S clips which I liked better than the tablet holders.

Where can I order a set of s or Z clips for NVIDIA Shield???
Nvidia has GPS build-in? I guess that without GPS you can not used the RTH function from Mavic? For example, I have read that you need wifi and celular in ipad mini for use RTH function. Sorry if my questions are to basic I am still learning these stuff ;)

Last edited:
I tried a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and the video was at best laggy and at worse choppy and broken. I'd rather use the small screen on my iPhone 6s.

I'm probably going to switch up to an iPad mini 4 with cellular in the near future. I need something compact for travel anyway so might as well get the iPad and use all the existing apps I've purchased already.

I tried a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and the video was at best laggy and at worse choppy and broken. .

Sounds like a reception problem with the remote. I haven't seen a Tab 4 do that.
But its true a 150.00 tab 4 7" might be different then a 400.00 ipad mini cellular. And the cellular would be needed to get GPS for some features in the Go app. The Android tablet would have GPS with the wifi version.

Sounds like a reception problem with the remote. I haven't seen a Tab 4 do that.
But its true a 150.00 tab 4 7" might be different then a 400.00 ipad mini cellular. And the cellular would be needed to get GPS for some features in the Go app. The Android tablet would have GPS with the wifi version.

Yeah, I tried it a couple times and there was always some issue. On one occasion there was no video even though it showed it was connected. I unplugged it from the controller and back in and the video appeared. I just feel like I can't trust it 100%.

Nvidia has GPS build-in? I guess that without GPS you can not used the RTH function from Mavic? For example, I have read that you need wifi and celular in ipad mini for use RTH function. Sorry if my questions are to basic I am still learning these stuff ;)

Not all true. RTH will function as it will use the GPS of where the Mavic took off. But if you move (say a boat or walking or what ever) you can not update to a new RTH point. So basically once a Home Point it set (take off) you can not update it unless you come back land and take off again. If you wanted to use a follow me based not on an object (it can loose or get confused on which object it's following) but the GPS remote you would also need GPS in the controller/ tablet.

Having internet is not a bad thing on the tablet also. If your in an area that you want to fly but might be near an airport or no flyzone you have to authorize it to take off. That is done only online. If your out you might not have wifi near by (I use phone tethering so I don't have to pay extra per month). But it is nice to have internet on the tablet. I also upload (healthydrones.com) log info and such on the fly with the internet (but that can be done when you get home or back to wifi).

So I would say GPS not required but best to get something with it (yes Nvidia has it, and most decent andriod does in the middle and upper tier, maybe 50.00 ones don't. iPad need to have cellular version which is like 100.00 extra).

Internet not needed but will make it easier for maps and other things on the fly. And internet maybe wifi for you or cellular if you can afford or have the use to pay per month.

Reactions: David_Paz
On one occasion there was no video even though it showed it was connected. I unplugged it from the controller and back in and the video appeared.

That sounds like a GO 4 app issue. There have been several posts on that and I had that once on my Nvidia tablet also. People are saying they want to stick with GO not the GO4 and that just announced its not supported as of Feb.

I have switched to litchi since, so I'm not sure if it was a fluke or if it is truly the app issue.

I had full control of the unit and brought it back with the remote and even the info (height and distance) on the screen was right just black screen no camera. A force close of app and reopen I think didn't fix it if I remember right. I think I returned home landed shut everything off and turned back on. But the point is I don;t think that's a Samsung issue (I use Nvidia shield not a Samsung).

Reactions: mr.bill
Forum member @BDOG makes the Z mounts
BD0G

Reactions: Mavic_Ward
Not all true. RTH will function as it will use the GPS of where the Mavic took off. But if you move (say a boat or walking or what ever) you can not update to a new RTH point. So basically once a Home Point it set (take off) you can not update it unless you come back land and take off again. If you wanted to use a follow me based not on an object (it can loose or get confused on which object it's following) but the GPS remote you would also need GPS in the controller/ tablet.

Having internet is not a bad thing on the tablet also. If your in an area that you want to fly but might be near an airport or no flyzone you have to authorize it to take off. That is done only online. If your out you might not have wifi near by (I use phone tethering so I don't have to pay extra per month). But it is nice to have internet on the tablet. I also upload (healthydrones.com) log info and such on the fly with the internet (but that can be done when you get home or back to wifi).

So I would say GPS not required but best to get something with it (yes Nvidia has it, and most decent andriod does in the middle and upper tier, maybe 50.00 ones don't. iPad need to have cellular version which is like 100.00 extra).

Internet not needed but will make it easier for maps and other things on the fly. And internet maybe wifi for you or cellular if you can afford or have the use to pay per month.

Awesome! Thanks for clarification!

If your looking for bang for the buck, I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 7". I picked one up on cyber Monday for $59. It fits in the controller and so far has worked awesome....

I am shopping for a tablet as well. Is the Nvidia Shield tablet available in Canada? I've never seen them here. What mod do you have to do to get it to fit the controller? How would it compare to the ipad mini 2 or 4?

I have a Nvidia Shield table k1 but i use my note 4 for my mavic, my k1 i use inspire 1 i heard that having the go app and the go 4 app on the same android tablet or phone can cause issues . If i install Litchi will it work better for both aircraft inspire 1 and mavic ?

I have a Nvidia Shield table k1 but i use my note 4 for my mavic, my k1 i use inspire 1 i heard that having the go app and the go 4 app on the same android tablet or phone can cause issues . If i install Litchi will it work better for both aircraft inspire 1 and mavic ?
Taken from here:

Help - Litchi

Litchi is compatible with: Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 (Normal/Pro), Phantom 3 Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional, Inspire 1 X3/Z3/Pro/RAW and Matrice 100/600.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy