DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap Mavic accessory that saves me a lot of hassle

Yeah, this is from the ad: "
  • Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and IN FLIGHT (my caps)
That's just confusing. You're not supposed to lock down the gimbal when flying...

And I would never again fly (and film) with a plastic cover on. I did on my first flight and the glare, reflections and shimmering edges of the frame were just horrendous.

Not avail in Canada.
Sure it is, but maybe with a different name: Gimbal Cover, Mapletop New Gimbal Camera Cover Gray Hood Cap Protector For DJI Mavic Pro Drone, Helicopters - Amazon Canada

Are these really important... I have been using my MP since Nov and I lost the stupid plastic piece the second it came off...
Yes! The gimbal is the most delicate part of the drone. Locking it down when you're transporting it and storing it is really important. The gimbal is only hanging from this silicon supports.

Yeah, this is from the ad: "
  • Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and IN FLIGHT (my caps)
That's just confusing. You're not supposed to lock down the gimbal when flying...

And I would never again fly (and film) with a plastic cover on. I did on my first flight and the glare, reflections and shimmering edges of the frame were just horrendous.
Agreed. That description is WRONG. These are gimbal clamps and MUST be removed before you power on the Mavic. You will get a gimbal overload if you don't.

In addition to that, the plastic is nowhere near good enough quality to shoot video through, even if you buy a clear one. These are made for storage ONLY.

That said, they're great for that purpose.
since you guys brought it, i must put in this shameless plug

actually not so shameful since it's actually a better product and gets the 2 jobs done
Apples and oranges, and I would disagree that it's a "better" product. It's an entirely different product, which appears to be well designed for what it does: It's a sun shade for the lens.

The product we're talking about is a gimbal lock and protective cover for storage, not for use in flight.

Last edited:
So wait.. can this be kept on during flight? I usually take mine off but I wrecked today and got lucky my gimbal didn't get damaged. I'm thinking about flying with a protector on from now on.
No, you must take this one off each flight because it includes also the gimbal lock!!!

This thing makes it so much easier to get the Mavic ready for storage. Putting the original gimbal clamp on always was very finicky for me, and it is so easy to loose that thing to. Then put the dome over it (which by itself is useless since it causes way too much glare). This does it all in one, and is much easier to get over the gimbal too. Highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: Teenitor Lens Filter Gimbal Cover Camera Protector Drone Accessory For DJI Mavic Pro Transparent Gray: Toys & Games

Nice try, I bought one of these after the clips on my stock on broke. You could never fly and take video with this. It's not even close to optical quality.

Thanks for the alternative idea. I'll warn that the sunshades likely won't work -- I've tried three of these and they all move into the image when the drone accelerates forward/sideways.
I had the same issue with the sun shade so I simply cut away some of the plastic (the top of the opening) with a box cutter and it no longer got in the way of pics/video even in acceleration/deceleration

See lighttake.com its a Chinese Amazon that's much cheaper!

I bought the Helipad from there, as well as the hard(ish) cases for the drone, controller and spare batteries - all of which are AWESOME - especially the Helipad :cool: (I mainly take off and land at the beach). They have US and China depots (less than 2wks to Australia from the China Depot).

Cant get spare gimbal clamps here in S.A.. So if any of you feel like sending your old gimbal clamp it would be appreciated :(;)

Specific question regarding THIS item: High Quality Sunshade Lens Hood Glare Gimbal Camera Protector Cover For DJI Mavic Pro Drone Toys Accessories

Looks like the opening/slotted version is for use DURING flight (the spherical one, I think the boxy-looking one is for storage/transport). Has anyone bought this specific model, and can they confirm if the sides/top of the slot obscure the edges of the frame during acceleration?

Currently awaiting arrival of a complete camera/gimbal spare part after a crash. I would be keen to avoid such damage in future (whilst I obviously plan to avoid crashing - these things seem to have their way of ending up in trees!).

Thanks!

jason

This thing makes it so much easier to get the Mavic ready for storage. Putting the original gimbal clamp on always was very finicky for me, and it is so easy to loose that thing to. Then put the dome over it (which by itself is useless since it causes way too much glare). This does it all in one, and is much easier to get over the gimbal too. Highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: Teenitor Lens Filter Gimbal Cover Camera Protector Drone Accessory For DJI Mavic Pro Transparent Gray: Toys & Games
I just bought mine from Amazon UK £3.99 and free delivery. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

I just bought one of these and can't thank you enough for the tip! I always had a hell of a time with the stock gimbal lock and felt like I was going to break my gimbal at some point. This thing installs and removes easily. Thumbswayup

Reactions: kona

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki