DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CHECK OUT THIS LINK - A WATER CRASH - RECOVERY - CLEANING - METHANOL WASH - DRYING - THEN FLYING AGAIN ALL IN 90 MIN.

bobec231

Reactions
The purpose of this link is to show all the arm-chair experts that have told you that electronics and water result in short circuiting are NOT correct.
Later this summer we plan to document a salt water test at the ocean in Main or New Hampshire so stay tuned.

UPDATE from comments/posts provided below:
  1. Drone electronics are bare NO waterproof coatings.
  2. Salt water is NOT highly conductive. It is mildly corrosive thus time in salt water is the problem as well as letting it dry which leaves a salt residue that WILL result in problems.
  3. Had the gentleman with flood issues used the process of washing and cleaning with methanol on all items exposed prior to letting them dry he appliances would have been fine.
  4. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum that splashed in a lake last fall and did the above process and it is still flying with 100+ hours after event. I did have to replace a damaged gimbals mounting plate that had the rear retaining plastic clip break off.
  5. One of the secrets is remove power ASAP. Do not reapply power until you are sure it is clean and dry. Bench test without props prior to trying to fly.

Here is the link
:

Last edited:
Now Oz just sit back in your armchair and have a cold one
and wait for the feature to come on and we might learn something.?

perhaps it fell into the sink and they are trying to dry it out

?

Ha ha, yeah I know, we all have preconceived ideas, will certainly watch the video once it's made public or whatever the problems is.
Having a coffee right now as its still only 0530, and this wintry weather we're having makes a cold one a little less appealing, but none the less it's a nice thought. If only I was camping in a desert somewhere with some mates, then it'd be on.

I do think there are ways to salvage from some form of splashing / very minor immersion, using distilled water / isopropyl alc, it will be interesting to see the methanol mentioned, it might be a viable alternative to disperse the distilled water rinsing out fast and evaporate as fast as iso.
It'd still be hard to trust it many situations though, maybe flights over water or risky flights, as it would be less painful to lose a drone previously crashed into water.

Reactions: Papa_G and dirkclod
mins long ic_South_Oz, post: 1007757, member: 22556"]
?

Ha ha, yeah I know, we all have preconceived ideas, will certainly watch the video once it's made public or whatever the problems is.
Having a coffee right now as its still only 0530, and this wintry weather we're having makes a cold one a little less appealing, but none the less it's a nice thought. If only I was camping in a desert somewhere with some mates, then it'd be on.

I do think there are ways to salvage from some form of splashing / very minor immersion, using distilled water / isopropyl alc, it will be interesting to see the methanol mentioned, it might be a viable alternative to disperse the distilled water rinsing out fast and evaporate as fast as iso.
It'd still be hard to trust it many situations though, maybe flights over water or risky flights, as it would be less painful to lose a drone previously crashed into water.
[/QUOTE]
@MAvic_South_Oz ,all i hope after reading the title of the thread,is that the flippin video is not 90 mins long,i will never stay awake for that long

@MAvic_South_Oz ,all i hope after reading the title of the thread,is that the flippin video is not 90 mins long,i will never stay awake for that long

You're all good, condensed to 6:21 !! ?

Ok, all I can say is "real world", there are so many things that are just blatantly optimistic (believe it or not, I am an optimist, but also a realist), don't apply to DJI drones are presented (FPV drone with all components easily pre exposed to rinsing as one typical example) but good on the OP for test and video.

Reactions: old man mavic
bit aggrieved i was expecting it to be a mavic that got dunked not a homemade Phantom clone

bit aggrieved i was expecting it to be a mavic that got dunked not a homemade Phantom clone

Also, the OP contains a rather silly assertion - that salt water doesn't cause short circuits. Since salt water is highly conductive it obviously short-circuits to ground all exposed components that it reaches. The only way to avoid that is to seal the chassis or cover all the components and circuits with a dielectric coating, and DJI doesn't do either of those. So I'll wager that we never see the proposed salt water test.

My garage was flooded during Hurricane Florence and most but not all electrical items were damaged beyond repair. However, a power washer, shop vac, and lawn mower survived. Florence came through almost two years ago and during that time, one by one, all the survivors failed which leads me to believe that water damage may take some time to become evident.

My garage was flooded during Hurricane Florence and most but not all electrical items were damaged beyond repair. However, a power washer, shop vac, and lawn mower survived. Florence came through almost two years ago and during that time, one by one, all the survivors failed which leads me to believe that water damage may take some time to become evident.
the real issue here in respect of water damage ,is safety,as far as the items you mentioned, the worse that would happen is the fuse or earth leakage breaker would cut the supply and the item would stop
in the case of a failure when flying then the consequences could and would be catastrophic depending on where the drone hit the ground ,as the PIC of a drone you are responsible for ensuring its airworthiness to the best of your ability,and its clear that after water immersion, that airworthiness has been compromised

Reactions: Gindra and JAW

And was that fresh water or sea water damage?

You do know this is a sales pitch these guys should become approved vendors.

My guess is the float from the OP’s back post.?
I have no clue what that drone is it might be waterproof
already/ maybe not but would like to see a Mavic done
that way.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat