DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CHECK OUT THIS LINK - A WATER CRASH - RECOVERY - CLEANING - METHANOL WASH - DRYING - THEN FLYING AGAIN ALL IN 90 MIN.

i would say it spent some time in the ocean

There was a M1P like that in a crash thread quite a while ago, maybe it was worse.
It had spent 3 days on a rocky beach after washing up following an ocean crash.

All water though contains salts / minerals of some form.
In the OPs video, they washed / rinsed it with "clean fresh water" and that was the first (actually third) obvious test flaw.
Distilled water must be used to rinse out the contaminated water.

(I wouldn't even bother with the ocean crash though, even if taken out within minutes.)

Spent some time in the Aegean sea, left like that to dry off without washing out and eventually became a lemon

not at the moment
Ok, well if you ever think of selling it, I'd be Interested. Now since I know people are probably wondering why, let me explain. I plan to do YouTube videos soon and I need display items so I'm buying broken irreparable tech to fill that gap.

Ok, well if you ever think of selling it, I'd be Interested. Now since I know people are probably wondering why, let me explain. I plan to do YouTube videos soon and I need display items so I'm buying broken irreparable tech to fill that gap.
well after two months of working on this lemon, i made some lemonade, it still has a lot of footage to offer ?
only the camera left to assemble and weare good to go

well after two months of working on this lemon, i made some lemonade, it still has a lot of footage to offer ?
only the camera left to assemble and weare good to go

How?!

Lots of IPA (I mean liters), baking soda, brushes, ultrasonic bath, a microscope, some new parts (2 motors, gps flex cable, imu, esc board, camera flex cable) and a little bit of quarantine time
It seams solid for now, i have been through 10 battery cycles and everything runs as it should

The keys to reviving water damage to electronics are: quick response to removing all power, and quick response to cleaning. Almost all forms of water will have salt/minerals in it that will conduct electricity, and all electronics need is a small amount of voltage sent on a data pin of a chip and that chip will be fried, this is why quick removal of power is important. Next is cleaning. The biggest issue that I see on the video of it being cleaned is that I don't see how cleaning like that would be able to get in all of the locations. Many of the chips today, mainly things like storage chips, ram chips, and processors are ball grid arrays and don't have exposed pins on their solder connections. If water gets under those chips, a quick rinse with anything will not fully get under those items to clean out the water that can still have electrical properties or cause corrosion. That is partly the quick response to cleaning, and it needs to be a through cleaning, usually in things like IPA in an ultrasonic bath.

If it's possible to remove power and start a deep through cleaning of all the electronic parts, the chances of revival is high, provided that there wasn't any shorting of electronics prior to all power being removed. As long as that has happened, and the cleaning was enough to get into areas that can't be reached easily (such as under the BGA chips), then the likelihood of things failing later on are slimmer. The biggest issue is that is very very difficult if not impossible to make sure that every location that water can seep into is cleaned properly to prevent corrosion.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The purpose of this link is to show all the arm-chair experts that have told you that electronics and water result in short circuiting are NOT correct.
Later this summer we plan to document a salt water test at the ocean in Main or New Hampshire so stay tuned.

UPDATE from comments/posts provided below:
  1. Drone electronics are bare NO waterproof coatings.
  2. Salt water is NOT highly conductive. It is mildly corrosive thus time in salt water is the problem as well as letting it dry which leaves a salt residue that WILL result in problems.
  3. Had the gentleman with flood issues used the process of washing and cleaning with methanol on all items exposed prior to letting them dry he appliances would have been fine.
  4. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum that splashed in a lake last fall and did the above process and it is still flying with 100+ hours after event. I did have to replace a damaged gimbals mounting plate that had the rear retaining plastic clip break off.
  5. One of the secrets is remove power ASAP. Do not reapply power until you are sure it is clean and dry. Bench test without props prior to trying to fly.

Here is the link
:
non dji? If dji then no care refresh ⚽️?⚽

For anyone interested the drone used in this demonstration has continued to fly with no issues for about 6 weeks with over 8 hours of additional flight time.
Plan to do Ocean test by end of July with this same drone.

[Thanks for this info. I have always thought if it got wet inside it was done. Good to know there are opportunities to recover it.

Here is the link
:
[/QUOTE]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arny