DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Checking in from Las Vegas

VideoHotRod

Reactions
Hello, everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Brett Gentry. I've owned my Mavic Pro since early 2017, and I love it. As soon as I ordered it back in late 2016, I began studying for my Part 107 so that I could do commercial work. So far, it has paid for itself, but just barely. I'd love to get more work, of course, and would love to know what other pilots do to drum up business.

I've been interested in flight since I was a little child. Back when I was 5, I got a little toy called Command Pilot that I loved to play with and pretend I was flying. Throughout my teen years, I played with flight simulators (mostly video games) and yearned to be a pilot. However, a perforated ear drum due to an accident when I was young coupled with my poor eyesight (corrected with glasses) prevented me from passing the physical exams back then. I could be a sport pilot, but commercial or military was out of the question.

Since then, I've become a video producer, creating all things from commercials, news, television shows, music videos, etc. I worked in broadcast production for over 25 years, and I loved it. Video production was a great path for me.

Then one day, I started hearing about these camera drones, and I became quite interested. It seemed like a perfect mix of my desire to fly with my skills in video production. I asked around in my company to find out if there was a chance to move in that direction, but the answer was a resounding NO. Apparently, the company wanted no part in aerial work with drones due to potential liability, and would instead hire private pilots or third party companies to handle aerial work. I was already trying to come up with a reason and a way to leave and do my own thing, but that particular discussion sealed the deal for me. I put in my notice, left the company, and started my own thing. It's been very difficult, but it has felt very right, and I'm extremely glad I did.

Since I started my company, and since I started flying, I have done aerials at Red Rock Canyon, for the LDS temple in Las Vegas, for Tommy's Express Car Wash, and for a few different commercial and residential real estate companies. Vegas is a tough market, though, because while people are interested, they don't want to pay for it. But I'd like to know, what do you other commercial pilots do to drum up business?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Thanks, dirkclod. I've actually been lurking around this forum for some time now, just never posted. The information I've gleaned here has been nearly priceless.

Welcome to the forum! Good to see you are engaged in posting! Lot's of fine folks here!! :) Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman