DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chinese citizen uses drone to photograph US Navy shipyard

Not only that, but having a translator prevents the defense from later claiming he didn't understand the questions.
Unfortunately if you agree to a plea, you'll likely lose the ability to make that claim regarding your guilt or innocence since any good plea bargain would close that door. However, at the time of sentencing after you are a convicted, when you were told you would mostly likely get a suspended sentence (which is why you caved in so easily) and the judge says F* that, you get 20 years....then, you have appeal rights and language translation and being misled or even lied to is one of them likely in this type of case.

There's a million reasons to fly a drone and to do with your life whatever you want, specially when no pics were even found in the drone.
Pics were found on the drone. I had to read this line twice, it is worded oddly: "No pictures were taken by SHI’s drone on the night of January 5, 2024, that did not contain U.S. naval vessels located at BAE Systems Shipbuilding and General Dynamics NASSCO in Norfolk, Virginia."

In other words, every photo taken that night contained US naval vessels at BAE Systems...

Reactions: DARKSeifer
Pics were found on the drone. I had to read this line twice, it is worded oddly: "No pictures were taken by SHI’s drone on the night of January 5, 2024, that did not contain U.S. naval vessels located at BAE Systems Shipbuilding and General Dynamics NASSCO in Norfolk, Virginia."

In other words, every photo taken that night contained US naval vessels at BAE Systems...
Since we don't know the educational level or the language skills or the translation ability of the staff writer for the article, there's no way to know for certain what is meant by that statement or what the source is. Which is why I keep mentioning that it's too bad we can't see the facts of this case for ourselves.

Personally I believe there were "ships" and other things in the "some" of the photos taken but I believe the government wasn't able to make a case for nefarious intent and/or the images did not rise to a "spying" level meaning a million others people probably saw the same things he saw (but didn't take a picture of it). A nice photo of the harbor, the water, the setting sun, and in the tiny corner there's a secret nuclear sub stack peaking out that they left out in full view.....no trial = we don't get to know.

A nice photo of the harbor, the water, the setting sun, and in the tiny corner there's a secret nuclear sub stack peaking out that they left out in full view.....no trial = we don't get to know.
One problem with your theory. No midnight sun except in Alaska. The guy bought drone and promptly flew to Virginia to photograph nothing but US Naval vessels at midnight. Who does that? Then flees across country and tries to board one way flight to China. Again, who does that?
Since we don't know the educational level or the language skills or the translation ability of the staff writer for the article, there's no way to know for certain what is meant by that statement or what the source is. Which is why I keep mentioning that it's too bad we can't see the facts of this case for ourselves.
We do not need to know the education or language skills of the staff writer. The court file has a statement reciting the relevant facts signed by the defendant and his lawyer just like in every other plea case in America. This guy was given velvet glove treatment.

Reactions: Torque
One problem with your theory. No midnight sun except in Alaska. The guy bought drone and promptly flew to Virginia to photograph nothing but US Naval vessels at midnight. Who does that? Then flees across country and tries to board one way flight to China. Again, who does that?
But that wasn't my point, the circumstances. The content of the photos is the real question and while it is suspicious, it's not a crime unless you can prove the intent and it sounds like the government couldn't prove that beyond a reasonable doubt which is why he's not a spy still in jail. However....

We do not need to know the education or language skills of the staff writer. The court file has a statement reciting the relevant facts signed by the defendant and his lawyer just like in every other plea case in America. This guy was given velvet glove treatment.
It would be nice to see the actual court files and not depend on the words of the person who wrote the article. I'll go back and check because I didn't see it but if you have it to point out. Not sure I completely believe whatever is released to the public because we all know it is in the best interest of cases like this one to avoid having to provide the true facts to the public which again factors into offering up a plea.

I disagree with "velvet glove treatment" I absolutely believe they think he was up to no good, embarrassed they didn't catch him, found out it was a nothing burger, but instead of letting him go about his way, try to send a message to China. I can almost assure you if you are a non-citizen and especially a Chinese citizen and you buy a drone from Best Buy or Amazon, the government will get an alert because you are on a list. No way to prove that but our government would be remiss if it weren't.

If the area isn't a no fly zone, and isn't a geo locked space, it's not illegal to fly or photograph. If I was building something classified, I wouldn't do it out in the open.
Hmmm, and who is responsible for initiating or disabling the geofencing? 🤔 I’m not a conspiracist, but it sure would be easy for those in charge of geofencing to temporarily unlock one for nefarious reasons, wouldn’t it?

And believe it or not, as a pilot, you must use common sense sometimes. Just because there are no speed limit signs doesn’t mean you can speed. And as far as most military bases are concerned, it’s pretty much a given that anywhere there are nuclear or other sensitive armaments or other secret stuff being moved or stored, that area is most likely subject to photography restrictions and has signs on fences prohibiting even still photography. Flying over somewhere like that to take pictures was just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
🤔 I’m not a conspiracist, but it sure would be easy for those in charge of geofencing to temporarily unlock one for nefarious reasons, wouldn’t it?
That is a the definition of being a conspiracist.

There are multiple ways of looking at this.

He was recruited by the Chinese government to take pictures and video of military vessels under construction

or...

He is a college student who thought he was doing some cool and panicked.

We don't have the background information. The information out there suggests the former. But he did everything so badly, it seems like he was the worst spy ever.

That is a the definition of being a conspiracist.
Well, at least what I posted is true. I mearly implied it would be easy for someone who is managing the actual programming of geofencing to edit them as the US isn’t programming Geofencing for DJI, DJI gets its data from the FAA and AirMap to delineate, edit and program its own geofencing for its customers.

And yes, they could’ve made a mistake on this one and failed to geofence the facility correctly.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroundHog101