DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IlluminationsfromtheAttic

Reactions

I filmed this video this week during what may have been the last bit of nice weather for November in the region. With the road closing for the winter this weekend, the area will soon be accessible only via a long trip via bike and snowshoe.

It's incredible being able to fly up to the summits of rugged snow capped peaks to photograph them, or down into rainforest canyons to capture hidden waterfalls. I see drones as the ultimate in minimum impact photography and adventure - you can go places with no trails and not even leave a footprint!

Just to be clear, I flew from National Forest land just outside of the Park, so it's all good and legal.

I'll post a gallery of still images soon.

It's probably warmer than you think. Well above freezing.

lol when I first got there it was definitely below freezing! The drive was actually kind of scary because of how much ice there was on the road.

Any concerns about the temperature at the altitudes you're flying at?

I was concerned before I started flying - not only was the temperature below freezing, there was quite a bit of wind! However, if there was an issue with battery life I didn't notice it. I flew for over an hour on three batteries and still had juice to spare (I always like to get back with more than 35% remaining).

Really enjoyed watching this video. You obviously have more courage than I do to fly so far away from your home point.
/QUOTE]

I made it out past 5,000 feet for this video! It's taken the three months that I've had the Mavic 2 to build up the courage to go that far! This marks my longest flight yet. Theoretically the Mavic 2 is capable of 5 times that, but I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to do that lol!

Last edited:
Great video, one of my favorite locations. Is that the American river? We camp 8 miles S of the summit at Lodgepole campground.

Thanks! here are a few shots of the American River Valley from the pass - the footage of the river is of the Ohanapecosh River near its confluence with the Cowlitz.

National forest, are those legal to fly from? I was just in Vermont and would have loved to fly from some of the forests but I figured a national forest was the same as a national park.

National forest, are those legal to fly from? I was just in Vermont and would have loved to fly from some of the forests but I figured a national forest was the same as a national park.

You're good to fly on most National Forest land - so long as it isn't designated Wilderness. Also, be sure and check the forest's website to see if there are any special rules in place, as restrictions can vary between forests. When it comes to National Parks, you are allowed to fly over them just so long as you don't take off from within their borders.

Reactions: swooshdave

I filmed this video this week during what may have been the last bit of nice weather for November in the region. With the road closing for the winter this weekend, the area will soon be accessible only via a long trip via bike and snowshoe.

It's incredible being able to fly up to the summits of rugged snow capped peaks to photograph them, or down into rainforest canyons to capture hidden waterfalls. I see drones as the ultimate in minimum impact photography and adventure - you can go places with no trails and not even leave a footprint!

Just to be clear, I flew from National Forest land just outside of the Park, so it's all good and legal.

I made a similar flight in June of 2016 but it was with a Phantom 3 Pro. I'm not sure if the Mavic was available then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143