DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choosing drones

I have no MA experience but the MP has a better RC, longer flight time, and stronger wireless connection. Get the kit with extra battery. If you are worried about drawing attention, get the quieter props for $20.

I found a MP basic online at Tech For Less for $770. (Just checked, but it’s no longer there) The point is keep checking, you never know what might come up.
Yes at a minimum you need two batteries. I have four, but have never used more than three on a single flying day. By the time I am through three the RC is running a little old.
I would not hesitate to by a refurbished MP.
As to which to buy, I would go with the MP. I am biased as that is what I own, but after flying the MP for a year, I think it the better choice.

My other concern is battery life. - question is 5 min different between 18 and 23 min is really noticable?
It'll only be noticeable if you're taking flights that require using every last second of battery power (e.g. a long waypoint mission). If you have no need to do something like that, then just buy more batteries if you need more flight time.

Air is much smaller, and its less likely to draw much attention?
The Mavic Air will likely draw more attention once it's in the air since it's louder than the Mavic Pro. If you're drawing unwanted attention though, then you might be flying in the wrong place. Maybe choose a better spot to fly.

this is clearly a tough decision. first I wanted to buy the spark, then MA came out, then I wanted to buy MA, MP price got dropped. My only concern is MP is 1 year old product vs MA which is only few months. I am trading off a 1 year old product vs new MA. Plus from the sound of it MP2 is coming out. so it will potentially have it dropped in price even more.

if you were to choose between

Mavic Pro plus one additional battery plus refresh for a year for $900 USD

or

Mavic Air for $799

My concern is MP doesnt come with propeller guards and back sensor. New If I were to fly it in the city, its much attention with Air or Pro?

It also seems to be easier to buy from DJI, as you dont pay the taxes and duties (if you are in canada).

Last edited:
I got a refurb Mavic Pro and I’m very happy with it. I’m not a pro photographer so the camera is more than what i need. Very good cases on eBay are $15. I also got a battery(original DJI) off eBay. 2 batteries are more than enough. And you’ll need nd filters. 16 works the best for me when it’s sunny. I fly in north jersey where it’s very populated and the signal range is awesome. I don’t think I’d be happy w air simply bc of the range issue in the populated areas.

I got a refurb Mavic Pro and I’m very happy with it. I’m not a pro photographer so the camera is more than what i need. Very good cases on eBay are $15. I also got a battery(original DJI) off eBay. 2 batteries are more than enough. And you’ll need nd filters. 16 works the best for me when it’s sunny. I fly in north jersey where it’s very populated and the signal range is awesome. I don’t think I’d be happy w air simply bc of the range issue in the populated areas.

How often do you fly your drones? What don't you like about it?

I think buying anything less than a MP, is insane with the good prices these days. It's a proven platform, it's got great time in the air, awesome distance, etc. As you become accustomed to flying, you're gonna want to stray further, straying further is not happening with the Air/Spark.

Reactions: ToddR
Better flight time, remote control, connection, and range for $35? Why hesitate?

My concern is that, MP2 will be coming out and I am buying a drone that is more then 1 year old. Also its massive compare to Air, since I want to fly it in the city, I dont want to get lots of attention. :/
maybe not having back sensor also kills me for it.

What elements on MP you dont like? I am just new drone owner, I am leaning toward the Air, but MP is also very tempting too. Having a drone from 2016 doesnt make it almost 3 years old?

My concern is that, MP2 will be coming out and I am buying a drone that is more then 1 year old. Also its massive compare to Air, since I want to fly it in the city, I dont want to get lots of attention. :/

Again, may be older, but it's a proven platform. From what I've read, MP2 is pure speculation at this point. And if it came out tomorrow, there are bound to be bugs to work out. Same reason I avoid buying a first new model truck/car. As far as getting attention, you stand to get less with the MP, as it will fly higher and father...Anyway, everyone has their own need, but if it were me, I'd get the MP. Stable craft, distance, time aloft...

Again, may be older, but it's a proven platform. From what I've read, MP2 is pure speculation at this point. And if it came out tomorrow, there are bound to be bugs to work out. Same reason I avoid buying a first new model truck/car. As far as getting attention, you stand to get less with the MP, as it will fly higher and father...Anyway, everyone has their own need, but if it were me, I'd get the MP. Stable craft, distance, time aloft...

I appreciate your honest feedback. My only reason for buying the first drone is the sensors on it. I am NOOB, i think i will crash my drone more likely. so I need to have something that doesnt mess the gimble, that seems to be higher chance on MP.

• Because the MP has been out for a while means it is a time-tested platform. When or if the MP2 comes out I would wait a few months for them to work out the bugs before I bought it.
• To get less attention, either get the MPP or pay $20 for the low noise props for the MP. Fly at higher elevation and do not hover over people or their property.
• As for city flying, check you local regulations as some are very restrictive. Keep it in sight and don't fly over people. Parks and ballfields are good if they are empty. It is best to get out of town.
• More sensors are better but do not rely on them. They will not detect wires or fine branches. You are more likely to side-slip into an obstacle than to back into it. Just keep it in visual range and higher than any obstacles and sensors are not needed.

• Because the MP has been out for a while means it is a time-tested platform. When or if the MP2 comes out I would wait a few months for them to work out the bugs before I bought it.
• To get less attention, either get the MPP or pay $20 for the low noise props for the MP. Fly at higher elevation and do not hover over people or their property.
• As for city flying, check you local regulations as some are very restrictive. Keep it in sight and don't fly over people. Parks and ballfields are good if they are empty. It is best to get out of town.
• More sensors are better but do not rely on them. They will not detect wires or fine branches. You are more likely to side-slip into an obstacle than to back into it. Just keep it in visual range and higher than any obstacles and sensors are not needed.

Agreed with most of your points, maybe for now I get the Air and next time, I get something that last me for longer period of time.

Agreed with most of your points, maybe for now I get the Air and next time, I get something that last me for longer period of time.
It boils down to personal preference and need, and if the Air fits yours then get it. I have heard a lot of positive comments about it. I just believe that for $35 more the Pro is a much better package (controller, range, flight time).

It boils down to personal preference and need, and if the Air fits yours then get it. I have heard a lot of positive comments about it. I just believe that for $35 more the Pro is a much better package (controller, range, flight time).

Yes that $35 is because I am using student discount.

Exactly. $35 gets you extra miles, extra time in the air, and a proven aircraft. It's like a Corvette and VW Beetle are sitting next to each other, the VW is loaded, but you can get the base Vette for $35 more...LOL I'm leaving tire marks outta the parking lot...

Reactions: SXViper03 and ToddR
hahaha....how long have you had your drone for? do you find it scary to damage the gimble?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu