DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy image on 8 inch Tab A

WolfSpring

Reactions
So I went out for my second flight tonight and I am using the Samsung Tab A 8 inch and when I am flying it is jumpy, I tried both 4K and 1080 and various "tests" to see when it jumped or not. The cache files are jumpy but the SD card footage is clean, so it's either a transmission issue or a processor speed issue I'd imagine. I switched to my Galaxy S7 and had zero issues at all and went much farther out then with the Tab A. I also prefer the phone for the location I can tell which way my drone is facing and where it is from me.

I had perfectly clear line of site and was flying over water at various heights and distances and the image was choppy at times I wasn't filming. I went with the Tab A over an iPad for price and GPS, but I am thinking maybe I should have gone the other route. I'm going to use my daughters iPad next trip and see if I get similar results or not and will try to DL the cached video to show here, but I just want others who might be considering the Tab A to know there may be some issues.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Here is my example, this was literally from taking off less than a foot from the remote. Most of my cached videos are like this and the screen looked like this while trying to fly, makes it impossible to stay on a subject.

I am using the standard cable that come with it, I even tried turning off wifi and bluetooth, not other programs are running, this is a new tablet with maybe 5 apps on it all for flying drones fully charged at the start.

So I went out for my second flight tonight and I am using the Samsung Tab A 8 inch and when I am flying it is jumpy, I tried both 4K and 1080 and various "tests" to see when it jumped or not. The cache files are jumpy but the SD card footage is clean, so it's either a transmission issue or a processor speed issue I'd imagine. I switched to my Galaxy S7 and had zero issues at all and went much farther out then with the Tab A. I also prefer the phone for the location I can tell which way my drone is facing and where it is from me.

I had perfectly clear line of site and was flying over water at various heights and distances and the image was choppy at times I wasn't filming. I went with the Tab A over an iPad for price and GPS, but I am thinking maybe I should have gone the other route. I'm going to use my daughters iPad next trip and see if I get similar results or not and will try to DL the cached video to show here, but I just want others who might be considering the Tab A to know there may be some issues.
This is a list of supported devices from DJI and the Tab A isn't on it you might want to contact them for a more updated version hope this helps.Screenshot_20200528_182658_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpeg

Other people said they had luck with the Tab A. I did see the list and did a lot of research and understand that if my device is not on the list it's my issue not DJI's(not that I'd even try to say it's their fault on this when my S7 works amazingly)I did just have an idea, I'm going to try it without caching, maybe that will cut down on the processor and ram usage and clear things up. I used it for the mavic mini and it worked great with no issues. Either way at the end of the day if someone else gets guidance out of my issues I've wasted nothing but down time.

I have the same SM-T290 tablet and have the exact same stuttering live video feed issue. On my S10, absolutely smooth. I'm running on version 1.1.2 of the Fly app. Let's hope the issue improves on the new version of the app, 1.1.4, if not, then the SM-T290 tablet might be simply underpowered.

The problem with Android tablets is most of them run older or lower power processors.

I'm Android through and though and when I bought my first DJI drone, a Phantom 4 Pro I bought the best Samsung tablet made at the time. I had so many issues with it it wasn't funny. I swallowed my pride, bought a 9.7" iPad Pro and it was night and day difference.

For the Mavic Air 2 I bought a iPad Mini 5 and it's flawless. You can find good deals on used ones on Swappa.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosswired

Tab A does not have the processor power to process video like you are doing. This is not a very expensive tablet and this is why. Good tablet...just not for this purpose.

Reactions: crosswired
The problem with Android tablets is most of them run older or lower power processors.

I'm Android through and though and when I bought my first DJI drone, a Phantom 4 Pro I bought the best Samsung tablet made at the time. I had so many issues with it it wasn't funny. I swallowed my pride, bought a 9.7" iPad Pro and it was night and day difference.

For the Mavic Air 2 I bought a iPad Mini 5 and it's flawless. You can find good deals on used ones on Swappa.
did the same lol and no issues at all, flying on my Samsung S20+(only if I have to) or mini 5 as app for iOS is much better optimised than Android one

Reactions: bp328i and gb160
So I turned off Caching and switched to Smooth transmission vs HD what I read said smooth is 720p/60fps and HD is 1080p/30fps which I'm not sure if that will help, but it's worth a try. Even if I don't get this to work right I bought it more for the mini so it's good, I just can't justify buying another tablet right now when my phone works great, just not bright enough and so small for what I'm doing, will post results this weekend.

Went out tonight to the same spot turned off caching and had it in smooth mode and it was awesome I had no issues. I did notice the difference between smooth and HD, but did not try HD again, had some other issues I was working out. But it was awesome, not one bit of lag or jumpiness at all smooth flying so I am happy with the Tab A, though I really miss not having a locator on the screen like my phone, might start tethering for that though.

Went out tonight to the same spot turned off caching and had it in smooth mode and it was awesome I had no issues. I did notice the difference between smooth and HD, but did not try HD again, had some other issues I was working out. But it was awesome, not one bit of lag or jumpiness at all smooth flying so I am happy with the Tab A, though I really miss not having a locator on the screen like my phone, might start tethering for that though.
Glad to hear 'Smooth' mode is working flawlessly compared to 'HD', I will give it a go when I get a chance, probably not till after the weekend once the weather improves.

At least you won't have to replace the Tab A for a while longer thankfully.

thanks for the info, I too was considering the cost

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi