DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy Video feed Mavic Pro & Nexus 6P

After Android P update: But all else from DJI their latest releases (since I didn't have time to make anything else work) A remarkably improved visual performance. All images are tack sharp and what you would expect. Within the 20 minutes of flying I DID encounter the same issue however for a slight amount of time. It is not solved by the Android P update totally but for now, "fairly" fixed is better than nothing.
I have all of the files to roll back. It just was not clear on whether...... a. It could be done via older "DJI GO 4" app only or phone settings b. all three devices rolled back or c. How to get the mavic pro to be recognized for rolling back
Also wondering if anyone here is NOT using the 6P just to confirm it's only that phone.
Phone settings: Are we all using Developer Mode for altering animation? Data Saver? I've turned those off again, and like I say, I don't know if that is what contributed to the better results. If I ever get a chance for some time, I will try to do a crazy amount of combinations to see if I can get to the bottom of it. But I would suggest likewise, if we could divide up the responsibilities maybe we could get to the solution quicker. I will take on the actual Phone settings leaving all DJI to latest versions of software and report results here.
@mattball Your suggestion may well be THE working solution. I will try that as well. Just curious, did you just repost that or did you actually perform those guidelines yourself and find they solved the problem?
Here is the cached photo from last night. The actual file from the card was really really clear and sharp.
Also, not related, I set the camera to bracket 3 shots. In Lightroom selected all and Edit in HDR Photoshop, check remove ghosting. Just to let you know, unbelievably stable drone. the layers aligned so perfectly. Wish I had that to show you but I did all that work at his editing station.
View attachment 43342

I tested also with Nexus6 Motorola, Samsung S4 and they all got choppy video feed.

I can't roll back. DJI assistant 2 does not show another other than my current firmware .0400 and restore defaults.
DJI now forcing everyone into 0400? I had options down to .0100 just last week. I'll have to confirm. If they did, that's a **** move on their part!

I am really starting to dislike DJI of late. WITF

This was also posted and recommended by some guys in a drone group. It might help in some ways. We tried it in our group of pilots and are logging the results.

These are some optimization tips for Android users. Not sure if they will do much for Go4. It seemed to help several devices we tried this with.

1. Set up Developer Options- Settings> About> Build Number> tap 5-7x and Dev Options enabling should come on. Enable them
2. From Devel Options menus, select Apps and App Limit Processes
Android by default has unlimited amount of apps that can run, with this feature you can limit the processes from no limits to 4. I use 3
3. Next are the Animations. Window, Transition, and Animation. Default is x1. I set mine to 0.5x and the device runs faster opening or closing apps.
4. Some had suggested enabling Force GPU Rendering 2d. I didn't notice any difference in that setting
5.Check Device Optimization. Many Android products have this option under Settings> Device Maint> Memory
This allows the user to optimize the device in use. This will show memory usage and optimization options if you decide you need them.
6. Some have said to change Buffer Settings in the Devel Options tab. Settings>Devel Options> Buffer Settings
Default for most is 256K. I found lowering this seemed to have more lag. I would have thought there would be less.. I'm not a programmer, so anyone with better information regarding that setting or even the GPU rendering might want to chime in.

When I did this, I also reinstalled 4.2.21 on several devices. It brought the cpu load down to about 34% with Go4 which was better, but Go4 is still a ram hog and was pushing 500M on it's own. With these settings and latest app, I was able to fly much longer without the annoying video transmission bug (greatly reduced, but not eliminated), and best yet was NO aircraft disconnects. Switching to another club member's totally clean S3 Tab (same as mine), and on 4.2.12, the video feed was perfect. No lag issues at all, no pixelations. Testing the memory and cpu with that app, adn it came in around 290M for Go4 4.2.12, and only 24% cpu.

Flights in both app versions with these optimizations were also improved flying with tablets/ phones in Airplane mode. This also included video being cached to the devices. On tests without video caching, there wasn't a ton of difference. Not as much as we expected. No cache-mem 280M and 22% cpu.

This was also posted and recommended by some guys in a drone group. It might help in some ways. We tried it in our group of pilots and are logging the results.

These are some optimization tips for Android users. Not sure if they will do much for Go4. It seemed to help several devices we tried this with.

1. Set up Developer Options- Settings> About> Build Number> tap 5-7x and Dev Options enabling should come on. Enable them
Android by default has unlimited amount of apps that can run, with this feature you can limit the processes from no limits to 4. I use 3
3. Next are the Animations. Window, Transition, and Animation. Default is x1. I set mine to 0.5x and the device runs faster opening or closing apps.
4. Some had suggested enabling Force GPU Rendering 2d. I didn't notice any difference in that setting
5.Check Device Optimization. Many Android products have this option under Settings> Device Maint> Memory
This allows the user to optimize the device in use. This will show memory usage and optimization options if you decide you need them.
6. Some have said to change Buffer Settings in the Devel Options tab. Settings>Devel Options> Buffer Settings
Default for most is 256K. I found lowering this seemed to have more lag. I would have thought there would be less.. I'm not a programmer, so anyone with better information regarding that setting or even the GPU rendering might want to chime in.

When I did this, I also reinstalled 4.2.21 on several devices. It brought the cpu load down to about 34% with Go4 which was better, but Go4 is still a ram hog and was pushing 500M on it's own. With these settings and latest app, I was able to fly much longer without the annoying video transmission bug (greatly reduced, but not eliminated), and best yet was NO aircraft disconnects. Switching to another club member's totally clean S3 Tab (same as mine), and on 4.2.12, the video feed was perfect. No lag issues at all, no pixelations. Testing the memory and cpu with that app, adn it came in around 290M for Go4 4.2.12, and only 24% cpu.

Flights in both app versions with these optimizations were also improved flying with tablets/ phones in Airplane mode. This also included video being cached to the devices. On tests without video caching, there wasn't a ton of difference. Not as much as we expected. No cache-mem 280M and 22% cpu.

Yeah, I've had those settings for quite a while. In addition, from what I think was mentioned in the Android P update (which I did) that apps are disabled completely when not in use. Which addresses solution #2. I did close all apps prior to my last flight and, like you said, most of the artifact went away, but not completely. I did successfully load Go4 ****.16 app and will have time to fly later tonight to try this all out.

One more question..... You went with the Go4 ****.12. Did your MP happen to be rolled back as well or was it and the controller on latest firmware? And all devices connected OK? thx

One more question..... You went with the Go4 ****.12. Did your MP happen to be rolled back as well or was it and the controller on latest firmware? And all devices connected OK? thx
I rolled back to .0300, tested on .0200 as well as tested 4.2.16, 4.2.14 and 4.2.12. There are those that prefer older versions of fw too and will not miss a couple flight modes. The flights were ok and connections were stable. A little choppy when I switched to a full HD feed.

.0400 with latest app 4.2.20 and 4.2.21 were creating serious problems with video feed and disconnects. Just silly that this app has to be Beta tested as it has been. IDK why they had to f*** it up in the first place.

If my Autel flies as good, and has a stable camera feed, MP gets parked and I don't think I can spend another cent on DJI. This has been a mess and cost me and my co partner a lot of time on jobs. DJI could care less, so I can show them how that works and buy other products.

DJI seems to be playing the same game as Apple. Build up the OS and make previous devices not run well. They did a good job destroying the Mavic Pro reputation.

Last edited:
Please, NO need to downgrade fw, only app.
1. Uninstall 4.2.21 on your android device that has pixelation.
2. Install 4.2.16

Please, NO need to downgrade fw, only app.
1. Uninstall 4.2.21 on your android device that has pixelation.
2. Install 4.2.16
"Aircraft Disconnected" related bugs after the 4.2.16 rollback have been remedied by rolling back firmware. Many cases of this too. If you do not get disconnects where the app completely shuts down after pixelation then stay at .0400. If you do get disconnects, then try the firmware rollback.

Sucks that DJI screwed this to the point that many of us here can only offer these options. DJI is taking no responsibility in fixing this.

"Aircraft Disconnected" related bugs after the 4.2.16 rollback have been remedied by rolling back firmware. Many cases of this too. If you do not get disconnects where the app completely shuts down after pixelation then stay at .0400. If you do get disconnects, then try the firmware rollback.

Sucks that DJI screwed this to the point that many of us here can only offer these options. DJI is taking no responsibility in fixing this.
Or that DJI simplee let it go suport for older devices. I tested with newer, but also with Huawei P9 Lite, and it worked flawlessly which I don't understand as it should be slower than Nexus 6p or S7..
Maybe something else with video feed processing, not just CPU/chipset.

Or that DJI simplee let it go suport for older devices. I tested with newer, but also with Huawei P9 Lite, and it worked flawlessly which I don't understand as it should be slower than Nexus 6p or S7..
Maybe something else with video feed processing, not just CPU/chipset.
They list Note 4 as compat. Nobody can fly GO4 with a NOTE 4 on current app. My Note 8 will fly with Go4 given the faster processors and 6G ram, but if you ask them at DJI if the Note 8 is compatible they will say No, it has not been tested. Well then f'n test it !! You are in China where all these devices are made daily. Multi Billion $ company ? No excuse not to have an "updated list"

DJI is multi billion dollar company. They can afford to lease some phones. Fact is, they are far up Apple's *** and they will not do much for Android support. I fly with both mobile devices so I have no preference. I think it is absolutely shi**y of DJI to handle their customers in such a way. I seriously hope it bites them in the ***. Problem is, it usually does not, and users give in and buy other devices spending another 600+ dollars to fly their products. They know it, so they don't give a shii.

That's why I f'n hate Apple as well. They make new OSX or iOS versions rendering products you bought unusable. They box out other third party creators of hardware and software making them useless just after a couple updates. DJI is on Apple's teat, so this is no surprise to many that I have talked to.

I have no problem if DJI wants only Apple products running their devices. They need to indicate that instead of slowly f'ing up the app for the other android users.

In our drone club here, we are telling people if you have an Android device, buy an Autel product. DJI prefers iOS. We have around 35 new Autel owners flying with 2 and 3 year old tablets and phones.. Their flights have been great, perfect video feed. A couple firmware changes will fix the smaller bugs, but overall their experience has been positive. It came down to "spend $700-900 on a new phone or tablet, or buy a different mfg drone"

Many sold their MP or MA for just under $500 so the final price on Evo wasn't as pressing on the wallets. Newcomers with Samsung, LG or other devices just ordered the Evo's. We even had a couple guys that their wives made new skins for them using Cricut machines. Mostly to cover the orange, OTOH more Evo flyers have reported birds kind of leave the Evo alone. I guess the orange bothers some birds enough they ignore it. A couple guys tested that out by the ocean. Osprey and Seagulls kind of went at the MP, but ignored the Evo they said. I would liked to have seen video on that.

I have a 6P for mine as well, I have never updated since 4.2.16. and I have no lag issues.
Problems come flying in from users that don't know NOT To update the app or have it set on Auto Update in play store.
Again, the point is they need to fix this POS app and they haven't done it

Reactions: idbl_fanatic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada