DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class D Airspace 0 Ceiling

TBags

Reactions
All,

I'm still learning all of the rules for recreational flying but I live near a small Class D airport. I recently purchased a Mavic Mini. I've logged in various LAANC sites to seek authorization to fly in my yard, but it says there is a zero ceiling.

Does this mean that I cannot fly and in order to do so, I would need to pass the test under Part 107? Or am I somehow entering the wrong information.

Thanks!

Yep, you have to have your 107 to request to fly there, then likely cannot use LAANC site as that only works for areas a bit away from the runway approaches. I'm wondering, you must hear planes going by a fair amount, which would make me want to be extra careful. This is a deal where 107 or not, avoid those planes.

All,

I'm still learning all of the rules for recreational flying but I live near a small Class D airport. I recently purchased a Mavic Mini. I've logged in various LAANC sites to seek authorization to fly in my yard, but it says there is a zero ceiling.

Does this mean that I cannot fly and in order to do so, I would need to pass the test under Part 107? Or am I somehow entering the wrong information.

Thanks!
You can apply for an airspace authorization through drone zone (where you registered your drone) but you may not get approved to fly in a 0 ft LAANC zone as a recreational pilot. It just depends on why it’s a 0 ft zone.

If you give us the location we can better help

Edit: I stand corrected recreational pilots can’t request authorization over the facilities map authorization altitudes. So nvm you do need a part 107.24E220D6-F0BD-42E2-AE37-F24E267BBFC3.jpeg

Last edited:
All,

Thanks!

I doubt you can get clearance there but try using LAANC with >24 hours in advance of scheduled flying time. Include all your contact info. I don't think 107 or recreational makes much difference. good luck to you.

I doubt you can get clearance there but try using LAANC with >24 hours in advance of scheduled flying time. Include all your contact info. I don't think 107 or recreational makes much difference. good luck to you.
I have a wide area Authorization (Class D airspace) with a ceiling height of 400'. I am Part 107, in your request will determine if you get clearance, mine is work related.
Hillwood Amazon 53a (1).JPG

Yep, you have to have your 107 to request to fly there, then likely cannot use LAANC site as that only works for areas a bit away from the runway approaches. I'm wondering, you must hear planes going by a fair amount, which would make me want to be extra careful. This is a deal where 107 or not, avoid those planes.
I fly in class D space all the time. Warning just says fly with caution and of corse limited to 400'. Closer to my house its 200', but it never stops me, until the president shows up at Palm Beach, and I live 32 miles from there.

I fly in class D space all the time. Warning just says fly with caution and of corse limited to 400'. Closer to my house its 200', but it never stops me, until the president shows up at Palm Beach, and I live 32 miles from there.
The question was about "0" ceiling

I have my part 107, and I'm using the kittyhawk app. I also live near an airport KPDX. I've use the app to get clearance several times.
It's class C airspace here, and I'm down field from runway 6. I've gotten clearance up to 200 AGL.
I had trouble with the app a few times, and had to contact support. I thought maybe I needed an enterprise account to get clearance.

But you don't. They also mentioned that recreational flyers can use the app for clearance above 0' AGL. I would suggest giving a 48 hour window ahead of your planned flight time with whatever app your using, you may get clearance. I'm just starting out with this and it seems like the companies cleared by the FAA to give clearance through their apps, and towers liaisons like here for the UAS facilities Map are still figuring things out.
I personally won't flight at home without clearance.

They also mentioned that recreational flyers can use the app for clearance above 0' AGL
They lied. Rec pilots cannot use LAANC for flights above the facilities chart altitude. That’s a part 107 test question.

I thought they might be able to use dronezone but they can’t do that either D8796F93-73FB-43BD-8025-324AE656AD80.jpeg

I’m new to the hobby (not 107) registered with FAA and want to fly later today in this area which is a Class D with my MA2.

I have the B4UFLY & Kitty apps.

1. How can I use LAANC or other way to attempt to legally fly? I’m new so a step by step dummy proof will be greatly appreciated

2. What do you think are my chances requesting just a few hours prior and getting approval?

Any other info would be amazing.

Thank you

B11E78EB-FB6C-4513-A45A-5C985C5E8E46.jpeg

I’m new to the hobby (not 107) registered with FAA and want to fly later today in this area which is a Class D with my MA2.

I have the B4UFLY & Kitty apps.

1. How can I use LAANC or other way to attempt to legally fly? I’m new so a step by step dummy proof will be greatly appreciated

2. What do you think are my chances requesting just a few hours prior and getting approval?

Any other info would be amazing.

Thank you

View attachment 103984
Show us where you want to fly exactly. I’m not sure you have to do anything based on what KittyHawk is saying

A friend’s back yard, close to here:

864 Lumber Ln, Bridgehampton, NY 11932

That airspace hasn't joined the LAANC system yet, so the only way to get authorization is to file via the FAA DroneZone site. This typically takes at least a day or two at the quickest, but sometimes can take a few weeks/months if the FAA is especially backed up.

Reactions: omer212
That airspace hasn't joined the LAANC system yet, so the only way to get authorization is to file via the FAA DroneZone site. This typically takes at least a day or two at the quickest, but sometimes can take a few weeks/months if the FAA is especially backed up.

The good news is, the FAA has been helpful at giving longer-term authorizations. IF you issue the request properly and for heights at or below the ceiling, you can probably get a 12 month (or more) authorization, so you only have to do it once.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird