DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class E2 Airspace Need for Authorization & Confusion Across LAANC Apps

Photo Hunter

Reactions
I have what I guess is a bit of a unique situation where I live. I am Part 107 certified & live near two airports, KSAV and KSVN, commercial Class C and Military Class D, respectively. Towers at both airports are sometimes closed and the associated airspace then becomes Class E2 per Chart Supplements and as outlined in the pertinent section of the Federal Register. LAANC is available for KSAV. My interpretation of this is that I can fly following FAA regulations & with proper LAANC authorization within KSAV when the tower is operational but not when the airspace reverts to Class E2 without a waiver (which would never happen because it's the middle of the night). If not, how could one every seek authorization via LAANC for this Class C airspace?

Additionally, it seems I can fly within a 5 mile radius but outside the boundaries of the Class D airspace of KSVN during daylight & while the tower is operational but can't, even during daylight hours when the tower is closed as the airspace is then E2 & I'd again need a waiver. Seems rather silly that I can fly during daylight Monday - Saturday but not on Sunday especially considering the airfield is not normally operational on Sundays.

To add to the confusion, both AirMap and Skyward seem to take into account the changes to the airspace in question while Kittyhawk does not. Furthermore, Kittyhawk considers KSAV airspace as both KSAV & KSVN airspace and declines requests for authorization within KSAV because it disallows a flight plan within two airspaces simultaneously. That cannot possibly be right, can it?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:
Seek authorization through dronezone.
Thank you for the reply! Probably didn't do a good job of asking my question.

Yes, I could do that. Just trying to get other opinions and insight into why I can get instant authorization from 2 of 3 FAA approved LAANC providers & why the other considers one airport to be two at the same time, thereby instantly rejecting authorization requests. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for the reply! Probably didn't do a good job of asking my question.

Yes, I could do that. Just trying to get other opinions and insight into why I can get instant authorization from 2 of 3 FAA approved LAANC providers & why the other considers one airport to be two at the same time, thereby instantly rejecting authorization requests. Hope that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense. I just watched another FAA webinar this morning and your question was asked frequently. It appears that LAANC doesn't work well yet for overlapping airspace, a kink that surely will get ironed out over time. As for now, your only resort is getting authorization through FAADroneZone

Reactions: Photo Hunter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78