DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class U1 vs. U3 uSD Cards

Official DJI Approved List:

1645282777733.png

My Test Setup
The uSD to USB 3 interface adapter is capable of 104MB/s This is also a limitation of the UHS-I interface on the uSD cards that we are discussing. (SDR104)
It is connected to a USB 3.2 Gen 1 Acroname Programmable Industrial Hub.
The Hub is connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port on the PC.
The PC is a Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard with a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU.

Keep in mind the adapter used to connect the uSD card to your computer affects the benchmark. I have several different adapters, and the speeds shown for my faster uSD cards are all over the map. Are the adapters USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1g1, or USB 3.1g2? Plus, are they rated A1 or A2, etc. Most adapters don't say. Only testing against better adapters will reveal their incompetence.

Here's a test I did of my faster uSD card - a Samsung Pro V30 - in five different uSD card readers. The only difference is the reader. Data is from Crystal Disk Mark, best of 5 runs of 256MB data. Not all uSD readers are created equal.

1645506635627.png
MB/s​
Syrox
uSD to USB​
CanaKit
uSD to USB​
Sabrent
uSD to USB3​
Sandisk
uSD to USB3​
Samsung
uSD to USB3​
Read
18.7​
19.1​
97.3​
97.3​
158.8​
Write
17.4​
17.4​
86.4​
85.3​
120.2​

Last edited:
1 The uSD Reader that I use is a USB 3.0 device.
2 What is the model number of the Samsung uSD card reader that you used above? I'd like to re-run my tests using this reader.
3 This is an interesting article: The best memory card readers in 2022: copy images and video to your computer

1645529635560.png
"The readers employs a fast USB 3.2 Gen 2 interface, and we clocked the CFexpress read/write speeds of 687MBs/645MBs"

Attachments

• 1645529605725.png
    1645529605725.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
...and one more interesting question - what is the top speed of the interface inside of our Drones? :)

I'm guessing here, based on what I've read a CFexpress/UHS-II reader should be as fast as you can get for simpler uSD cards through UHS-I V90. I don't have any CFexpress nor UHS-II cards, so don't have a similar reader to test.

As for drone uSD speeds, I haven't a clue. Just what the manuals say for maximum data rate, which is 120Mb/s for the Air2, and 200Mb/s for the Mavic 3. Well below the 90MB/s rates of the cards DJI recommends.

The Samsung reader I use came with their Pro cards.
MB-MD256K_008_Front-Insert-Combination2_Blue.jpg

Last edited:
I was having issues with juddder on my MA2 using the UHS1 SanDisk Extreme Cards.
Just bought the UHS 3 Extreme Pro card to see if it fixes it, no time to fly until next
week. Great graph which may support why I'm having troubles.

Look forward to the results of your experiment. The other think that has been discussed is the counterfeit cards. Buy from reputable venders that control their supply chain. I deal with this professionally with with the flash memory on the Tablets that I help design.

Reactions: awraynor
Look forward to the results of your experiment. The other think that has been discussed is the counterfeit cards. Buy from reputable venders that control their supply chain. I deal with this professionally with with the flash memory on the Tablets that I help design.

I had read that as well. I purchased these from Walmart as I was out of town and forget my other set. The U3 cards I just bought are from Amazon. Not sure that's any better. I ran one of the tools on the U1 card and did fair on it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope