DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fastest MicroSd card for Mavic 3 necessary for photos?

dji30t

Reactions
Hi,

I am considering either the ProGrade Digital 128GB UHS-II microSDXC or Delkin Devices 64GB POWER UHS-II microSDXC cards. Anyone know if this
is overkill and is the Sandisk Pro good enough? I have the Air 2 and when I shoot RAW+JPG it takes about 5 seconds between each photo. So I would
like to have less of a delay. I know the faster cards may not make a difference if the Mavic 3 write speed is slow so let me know if you have had faster
photo taking with faster cards. Thanks

Prograde is $55 and:

• 128GB Storage Capacity
  • UHS-II / V60 / U3 / Class 10
  • Max Read Speed: 250 MB/s
  • Max Write Speed: 130 MB/s

Delkin is $85 and has the following specs
  • 64GB Storage Capacity
  • UHS-II / V90 / U3 / Class 10
  • Max Read Speed: 300 MB/s
  • Max Write Speed: 250 MB/s

Complete overkill, as the max write speed of the Mavic 3 is only 25 MB/s. SanDisk Extreme are plenty fast enough to support the Mavic 3, are recommended by DJI for it, and are only $16 for 128GB on Amazon. They are 90 MB/s max write speed and 160 MB/s max read speed, which will speed up file transfer to your computer afterwards.

"Adding to the confusion, the Mavic 3's max write speed of 200mbps, megabits per second, is not the same unit the cards use, which is MB/s or MegaBytes per second. The conversion is easy enough, just divide the 200mbps by 8 to get the 25MB/s required."

Thanks for the clarification, Gadgetguy. I was hoping the M3 write speed was a little faster since Air 2 delay between photos is really annoying. What is the delay between RAW+JPG shots on M3? I imagine it's at least 2-3 seconds.

I want to get the fastest read card since I often need to offload data quickly to computer.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for the clarification, Gadgetguy. I was hoping the M3 write speed was a little faster since Air 2 delay between photos is really annoying. What is the delay between RAW+JPG shots on M3? I imagine it's at least 2-3 seconds.

I want to get the fastest read card since I often need to offload data quickly to computer.
Mavic 3 delay for RAW+JPG is about the same as the Air 2 delay. For faster shooting on moving subjects, most use JPG only with a bracketed exposure instead. Much smaller file sizes, but the saved JPG's are also mildly HDR. 20MB JPG's.

What you really want is the 1-TB SSD on the M3Cine.

I shoot mostly RAW+JPEG with 5-step AEB. It writes faster to the SSD than a single shot on the SD card!

If you were shooting in single photo mode with the 48mp resolution then yes the Air 2 is miserably slow (I have one). The M3 shooting with just RAW (no jpeg) is much quicker compared to the Air 2. I have been using the same Lexar 1066x SD cards in my M3 that I originally purchased for the Air 2 as a point of reference for the write speeds of each drone. That model of Lexar is identical to the SanDisk specs for the recommended SD card in post #2 above. You can spend more money if that yanks your chain but it isn't necessary to get the job done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian