DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cleaning your drone

ZenDawg

Reactions
How do you clean your drones?

I have always maintained and have done the pre-flight checklists and the occasional cloth wipe down on my drones but I've never cleaned them.

For example, on one of my drones I have applied a few stickers and I'm considering selling it because it gets less flight time from me these days.

I'd like to give it a good cleaning and remove the sticker before selling.

What do you guys do(if anything)?

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 58
All I clean is the lens. I store it in a cloth draw-string bag and hand launch/land so it stays pretty clean.

Reactions: Elblasco
My Cleaning Supplies:
(1) Can of air - The ones for cleaning of keyboards, lenses. I blow air and clean around the entire area of the camera (Gently). Also I blow air in the motor coils to clean out micro debris and such..
(2) Can of Non-Ammonia glass cleaner- I use it cleaning the Props, Body, Legs, all the sensor lenses and most importantly the foot/leg that house the antennas.. sometimes after eating barbeque chicken legs I put a thin layer on the foots/legs and that can disturb the signal waves.. I actually tested it... another story...
(3) 6" wooden Q-tips- Im sure you know the uses of those

After the weekly cleaning- Auto-Calibrate the camera - Because after blowing Air at the camera and surfaces and moving the camera around to clean under, behind and on the sides I'm not sure if I'm knocking the camera out of kilter. ( it sure feels like I am)

Then after all that I take the AC out just to dirty it up again......?

My Cleaning Supplies:
(1) Can of air - The ones for cleaning of keyboards, lenses. I blow air and clean around the entire area of the camera (Gently). Also I blow air in the motor coils to clean out micro debris and such..
(2) Can of Non-Ammonia glass cleaner- I use it cleaning the Props, Body, Legs, all the sensor lenses and most importantly the foot/leg that house the antennas.. sometimes after eating barbeque chicken legs I put a thin layer on the foots/legs and that can disturb the signal waves.. I actually tested it... another story...
(3) 6" wooden Q-tips- Im sure you know the uses of those

After the weekly cleaning- Auto-Calibrate the camera - Because after blowing Air at the camera and surfaces and moving the camera around to clean under, behind and on the sides I'm not sure if I'm knocking the camera out of kilter. ( it sure feels like I am)

Then after all that I take the AC out just to dirty it up again......?

After I get back from The Piggly Wiggly, I want to hear about this.....????

After I get back from The Piggly Wiggly, I want to hear about this.....????
What I should of said, after smearing grease and sauce ( not on purpose) one time I noticed my drone had a issue with flying a distance because the grease and sauce placed and it seemed to block a good signal to the antenna in the legs. So I landed the drone and felt the slime on the legs/foot. I cleaned the legs with alchohol and the drone reclaimed distance again. So, for sh@#ts and grins I smeared the legs/foots of the drone again with the same grease/sauce and it seemed to affect distance again. I guess it puts a film and reflects signal. TRY IT... You'll see... oh btw. What's Piggly Wiggly?

Reactions: Flycaster
I'm not surprised. At least you did a "control" experiment to confirm repeatability.

But to be perfectly honest, I was hoping for a bit more colorful explanation, as in "Hey, watch this", or "Hold ma beer...."??

Reactions: Ron Hervey
I usually take mine to the local car wash when im headed there anyways to wash the car. The 2000-3000 psi works great to remove bug residue. I usually clamp it to the ground with my foot so the water pressure doesn’t push it away. Be careful around the gimbal area, maybe hold the nozzle a good 8” from that area! Use the rinse/soap/rinse/wax technique! I dry the drone by driving home with it clamped under the wiper arm. By the time I get home the drone is pretty much dry.

Help, I am in Florida visiting. I have been flying mostly over water and notice it looks like my Mini must be hitting a lot of bugs (nats). What do you recommend clean it with. I have found that Dawn will clean almost anything-clothes, grease stains, my watch. Do you think it is safe to use Dawn?

Help, I am in Florida visiting. I have been flying mostly over water and notice it looks like my Mini must be hitting a lot of bugs (nats). What do you recommend clean it with. I have found that Dawn will clean almost anything-clothes, grease stains, my watch. Do you think it is safe to use Dawn?
Only if you ask her nicely ?

There are plenty of "Plastic" cleaners out there.

Do your homework and find one that will work for your situation.

Then you can inform us of your choice.

A blower brush is a great tool to get rid of dirt, dust and other debris that can be caught in your drone. The blower can be used to clean your camera and the areas between the motors and propellers. Use the brush to gently remove any debris that refuses to move.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000