DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Clear, sunny and fairly calm day here

MARK (LI)

Reactions
So I took a ride over to the beach...I was hoping to catch guys surfing...but...no waves...so no surfers....so I had to resort to a back yard take off...I find it tedious watching out for wires and trees...and lost the drone in the glare of the sun for a minute.....you other guys with the mini and mini2.....how far away can you send them before they become a speck in the sky?

Reactions: sikspy and John235
As a new pilot, I’d be recommending to practicing somewhere a bit safer for a while until you have more control etc.
On a big open flat sports oval / park or similar.
Flying in such an environment around your home, not only nerve racking, but low like that could upset sensitive neighbours.
IF you have to fly from home, take it up to at least 20’ or so above the highest trees within whatever distance you’re comfortable with, and not need to worry about hitting them.
Ensure RTH altitude is set for that height too.
Try and keep an eye on your signal strength, as losing LOS signal, or interference from outside sources can cause control loss, and failsafe RTH will kick in.
Landing always come straight down until you recognise what the camera sees in relation to obstacles, OA won’t pick up those fine foliage free branches.
Have fun learning the ins and outs of you drone, and piloting it safely.
With a bit of caution you shouldn’t have too many issues.

Oh, how far ?
How good are your eyes ??
Or a strobe (later).
And remember that signal strength, failsafe RTH, and RTH altitude.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Thank you for the feedback...truly appreciated..a question about RTH.....I have not used it yet.....does the drone return to the spot at the height that I would set...then come straight down?....or does it come down from a distance?...I ask because I watched a video in which the guy sent his drone across his relatively flat country town.....about 2 miles.....on return he mentioned that he engaged RTH, and was showing his screen and it seemed that the drone was descending as it approached its destination...or....are you able to control altitude as it approaches you when using RTH, while continuing on proper path home?...I am getting older....eyes not bad...but not what they were years ago...I ordered a strobe...arriving tomorrow

a question about RTH.....I have not used it yet.....does the drone return to the spot at the height that I would set...then come straight down?....or does it come down from a distance?...I ask because I watched a video in which the guy sent his drone across his relatively flat country town.....about 2 miles.....on return he mentioned that he engaged RTH, and was showing his screen and it seemed that the drone was descending as it approached its destination

Yes, it comes home at the preset altitude you put into the settings (important to do this for each flight for obvious reasons).
If the drone is HIGHER than the RTH set, it will stay at that height until it reaches right above the take off (home) point, then descend to land.

This is good where you fly up a hillside, and often can exceed RTH setting, so it stays up there.
Can also be dangerous as the closer to home, the higher from ground level you are, where there is often more wind speed. (See below re taking over / overriding.)

That example you put might have been a situation where he was flying over lower land, and as it came home it seemed to be dropping altitude.

or....are you able to control altitude as it approaches you when using RTH, while continuing on proper path home?

Yes :)
You can use the left stick to drop descent if you see you are too high, if the ground is level and no trees, drop it as the drone flies home itself.
Release stick when it suits, and raise it if necessary of course.

You can also easily cancel RTH if you want to fly it back at any point, wither click the cancel RTH on the screen and confirm that, or push pause, or put into sports mode.

You can cancel failsafe RTH (low battery) but best to not really let it get that far down in battery %.
Be aware of letting it go low battery RTH, wind against the flight home sees lots of drones lost.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom