DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

clicking noise after updates

GrafXXX

Reactions
hello
I did the updates ( firmware / software whatever was available) I really like some of the features add, but really havent been able to use them yet. Thats because I notice a slight clicking noise when I start the motors and shut down the motors. It is definitely a new noise, not a continuous clicking but just an initial click when the props start to spin and when when they shut down

I have a very good ear for different noises on electronics and machines as I can tell how my shop printing press and embroidery machines are running just by listening, any minor change in electronics noises I know immediately something is different

has anyone noticed this? my props are not hitting anything, barely flew it over the weekend prior to the updates due to the Presidential flight restrictions that consumed NJ

I appreciate in advance and thoughts, ideas to fix, or any info

thank you

Reactions: TreeHugger
hello
I did the updates ( firmware / software whatever was available) I really like some of the features add, but really havent been able to use them yet. Thats because I notice a slight clicking noise when I start the motors and shut down the motors. It is definitely a new noise, not a continuous clicking but just an initial click when the props start to spin and when when they shut down

I have a very good ear for different noises on electronics and machines as I can tell how my shop printing press and embroidery machines are running just by listening, any minor change in electronics noises I know immediately something is different

has anyone noticed this? my props are not hitting anything, barely flew it over the weekend prior to the updates due to the Presidential flight restrictions that consumed NJ

thank you
First thought for me - coincidence. Next, process of elimination - change out the props.
It's easy, quick and within your ability.
What would be the next step - no idea. Maybe someone will chime in with similar circumstance,

hello

thank you

I would check the Prop motors for small very small debris. Click sound is very decisive over tone so it has to be prop motors.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the rain.

First thought for me - coincidence. Next, process of elimination - change out the props.
It's easy, quick and within your ability.
What would be the next step - no idea. Maybe someone will chime in with similar circumstance,
props are pretty new, but yes that will be my first change later,

I'm thinking could there be a possibility that the motors start up at different rpms? and shut down earlyier with update? ( hoping its props but like I said
they are always changed when i see anything not perfect on them, and the last flight was just a typical flight

there seems to be some different settings in the avoidance system, in the camera zoom, alot of things that are electrically controlling many motors in the
ma2, is it 100% the prop motors making that noise? well maybe not but that is when everything may be getting set, motor sensor wise, so it can be a coincidence
that the sound is when prop motors start, could be another feature that may have been altered during update ???

one thing I left out, but not sure if it could be connected to issue, I was unable to get any GPS signal and the drone wouldnt go higher then say 20-30 feet, but the screen was saying 98 feet
and max altitude reached, but I checked and my max altitude is still at 384 feet
the no GPS warning was actually stopping me from accending any higher, and tried in sport and normal mode

has anyone also had any GPS issues with the update?

I would check the Prop motors for small very small debris. Click sound is very decisive over tone so it has to be prop motors.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the rain.
im bring it to my shop, I have a computer microscope to check gradients on my printing so I can zoom right into the motors, and blow them out if needed, I typically dont land on dirt, rocks or grass
but maybe dust buildup,
good suggestion

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
hello

thank you
DJI usually mentions all the firmware changes in their release notes, and I don't think I saw anything that alluded to motor start or shutdown tweaks. I don't recall if it was the Phantom 4 or Mavic 2 Pro - both of which I own - but they did make some changes in one firmware update awhile ago causing the motors to start less aggressively and then idle at a lower RPM.

Back in my P4 days, I recall several posts on that forum related to a clicking and/or grinding sound coming from one or more of the motors, and it could be heard by simply manually spinning a prop with the motor off. The fix was a new prop in some cases, and in others, it was because the mounting hub on the motor had come loose or was excessively worn. It may be worth checking those screws to assure they are snug, and also check the play on each hub with new props installed. There should be anywhere from no play to just a tiny bit, like .5MM side to side. If more than that with a new prop, it may be time for new hubs.

If you can hear this sound when the motors are running, and if it's because of foreign matter (FOD) in the motor housing, I'd say the issue could be more serious. Any damage to the motor windings could ruin a good flying day.

Lastly, manually run your gimbal through its scope of travel with the copter off to assure there are no hangups, and then turn the copter on with motors off until the cooling fan comes on, and make sure it sounds smooth. Other than that, it would be a mystery...

Reactions: Nachi
so i finally got time to take vids of the props and the noise, these are brand new out of the box props. The initial noise is driving me nuts, the 2 screws on the hub are tight, there is no play in the hub, those were 2 great suggestions thank you

is it me am I nutz or do you hear it too when they start up and shut down, more when they start up, I looked inside the motors couldnt see any debris, I gently blew out with my compressor to see if anything was loose, or if anything came out, and nothing. so i figure lets video it and hear it

use IMG 9793

so i finally got time to take vids of the props and the noise, these are brand new out of the box props. The initial noise is driving me nuts, the 2 screws on the hub are tight, there is no play in the hub, those were 2 great suggestions thank you

is it me am I nutz or do you hear it too when they start up and shut down, more when they start up, I looked inside the motors couldnt see any debris, I gently blew out with my compressor to see if anything was loose, or if anything came out, and nothing. so i figure lets video it and hear it

use IMG 9793

I dont think I have ever started and restarted a video so many times in my life and ended up looking for crickets on the table. ;)

So do me a favor start the motors without the props on , lets rule that out, I am thinking vibration because not only do you hear the click but you do hear reverberation . I can see the vibration happening on the motors.

What is really strange is when you shut them off , as if the sound is coming from the controller. At least rule that out.

Here is what were dealing with:
Screenshot 08-11-2020 23.14.29.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AtortPhotography
sorry if its bad vids im not a youtube pro

here it is with the props off

i put up a couple , maybe one video show something others dont

does this sound normal? to me its a new sound that started this morning

did I mention this drone is just a month old, DJI replaced it my drone with this new one through the refresh on
Friday 07/10/2020

oh and these vids i had the controller on the shop table an arms length away to rule out any controller noise

Well no doubt about it your instincts were right on, at least 1 of those motors is bad and getting worse. Going to need to replace them.
Do you frequently take the props on and off on the drone or do you leave them on , just thinking if maybe they got pressed to hard in ?

OK, the clicking is still there. If you are very sure that the clicking occurs only after firmware update then it's possible that the starting RPM of the motors are reduced. The single click heard when the motors are shut down is probably due to the application of braking by the ESC.

OK, the clicking is still there. If you are very sure that the clicking occurs only after firmware update then it's possible that the starting RPM of the motors are reduced. The single click heard when the motors are shut down is probably due to the application of braking by the ESC.

Good point : But if the update was the issue would not others have something similar ?
I dont have it , butter smooth , he has noise and you can see the vibrations right.

One thing I wondered is it possible the Springs our spinning and not tight ?

use IMG 9793

Try taking off the Spring on one of the motors making that noise.

I am certain that the first time I heard this was right after the updates, does anyone else hear this difference after they updated? should I be concerned? as you can see the drone is new, and no damage or anything. and as I mentioned earlier I have an ear for machines and motors, I can tell you 3 - 5 seconds when my embroidery machine will have a thread break ( with the radio on and in a conversation) I just have been around machinery all my life, so I have a trained ear to sudden tone differences or changes in everyday motors. another example is this Sunday I will be adding oil and checking the carbon brushes on my shirt dryer conveyor motor, and thats because I hear a slight change in the motor. Its a good thing I guess it keeps me ahead of my equipment "recommended" preventive maintenance schedule

its just this drone is new to me, are the motors breaking in? is it normal?

again thank you, I appreciate your help and this site forum is the best

Good point : But if the update was the issue would not others have something similar ?
I dont have it , butter smooth , he has noise and you can see the vibrations right.

One thing I wondered is it possible the Springs our spinning and not tight ?
the springs are tight, not free spinning, just checked

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
the springs are tight, not free spinning, just checked

Can you spin the prop by hand and can you get it to make that noise, no matter what it is, its not normal and what ever is wearing down is getting louder so it seems. when you spin it , it should be smooth and not catch on anything .

it doesnt make that noise when I spin by hand, the motors spins with tiny evenly spaced resistance ( like little bumps or uggg hard to explain) it doesnt spin freely like a skateboard wheel when you spin with your finger or like a fidget spinner, you and feel the slight resistance from the magnets in the motors, does that make sense? spinning manually doesnt feel abnormal at all

all 4 motors spin exactly the same

it doesnt make that noise when I spin by hand, the motors spins with tiny evenly spaced resistance ( like little bumps or uggg hard to explain) it doesnt spin freely like a skateboard wheel when you spin with your finger or like a fidget spinner, you and feel the slight resistance from the magnets in the motors, does that make sense? spinning manually doesnt feel abnormal at all

all 4 motors spin exactly the same

Bumps and magnets are all normal for the free spin... I love a good puzzle and this one is going UFO on me. :(

Reactions: GrafXXX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa