DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Close Encounter with a turkey vulture

JOHNVOSS

Reactions
While flying over a valley in NY State this week I had a near miss with a large buzzard. Had they collided my Mini 2 would have been history. Finally got to see one of these very common birds from above. Asidde from their head they are quite handsome while flying. It is amazing how they can use the thermals to fly with nary a wing flap for extended periods of time.

I might mention that the quality of pictures extracted from the video is not bad at 2.7k, just a tad oversharpened in my opinion.

Attachments

• Turkey Vulture.jpg
    Turkey Vulture.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 91
Very nice. You're right about the contrast between their flight and that head.

I had some close encounters with Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. The circumstances were more conducive to photography.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

• Love
Reactions: CvCow and snowghost
While flying over a valley in NY State this week I had a near miss with a large buzzard. Had they collided my Mini 2 would have been history. Finally got to see one of these very common birds from above. Asidde from their head they are quite handsome while flying. It is amazing how they can use the thermals to fly with nary a wing flap for extended periods of time.

I might mention that the quality of pictures extracted from the video is not bad at 2.7k, just a tad oversharpened in my opinion.
Great capture!

Great capture!
Nice flying and maybe slightly risky. Thanks for sharing t that one with us.
Thanks. It was purely serendipitous. I never even saw the bird while flying. On;y when looking at the video at home did I realize what a lucky shot I had. It was only in 6 frames in the video. It was quite a close encounter and could have had an unhappy ending. Don't tell the VLOS police but when I'm filming for a Youtube video I rarely look at the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista