DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Encounter with Manned Aircraft - Flight Log Link

This is the first time I've had a manned aircraft approach me while in the middle of a flight. Since I had trouble seeing where the plane was in relation to my drone, I maintained my position and descended in altitude since it was higher than 300' AGL. I received the first verbal warning in English when the manned aircraft was detected by the ADS-B system, but as it got closer the warning the verbal warning was in Chinese and I have no idea what was said. I saw a small Cessna type aircraft after it went past my location. I've attached the flight log for reference, let me know if anyone has had a similar experience.

Were you not asking about (not what to do) since you descended, but the warnings you received (in Chinese)?

I live in a small city in the USA (pop 80,000). Not a lot of air traffic here. Only one, small passenger airport with just 4 flights a day in and out. However, there is a very active flight school at the university and their student pilots often fly at all sorts of low altitudes. So, I'm always on the lookout for them. Fortunately, most of their planes make enough noise that I hear them well before I see them. I rarely fly about 200' so getting down quickly to an altitude that they will not be at, is easy enough. We also have a "Flight for Life" helicopter that services local hospitals. You never know when they'll be flying. If I'm doing a lot of flying in the city, I call them to let them know where I am and when and I ask if their pilots are flying when I'm planning to be out. I've never had anything even close to a near-miss with a plane or helicopter but I used to fly an Inspire 1, which I think was easier for as fixed wing aircraft to see. With the Mavic 2 Pro I'm flying now, I can't imagine any pilot could see it. That's why I like the suggestions I've seen in other strings on this forum, that we use lights on our drone ALL the time and put some bright colors on them. This might make it easier for a pilot to see and, I hope, make it easier for me to see so I maintain VLOS.

I live in Alaska and there's a ridiculous amount of planes here. They fly over my house daily. Every lake is a runway and everyone's backyard is a runway. Most pilots here though stay above 500' so as long as I'm at or below 400' I'm ok, mostly. I usually stay lower and keep my head on a swivel. If I get an alert that a plane is in the area I try and get a visual and then I drop to 100' if possible because of tress. I let it pass then press on.
Eagles are no problem at lower altitude?

Can't argue with the law of physics! What's more amazing is that Issac Newton figured all this out back in the 18th century.

But you have to understand the law of physics. As a more extreme example to illustrate, which would you rather have hit your windshield, a 20 lb bird or a 2 lb steel ball?

The 2 lb steel ball.
Plexiglass is extremely strong and likely it will not penetrate the cockpit.
The bird is probably going to do more damage, not to mention obstruct vision a lot worse, and if it goes up into the mast of my helicopter, I would guess the bird would be worse. Bullets and birds, concern me more than drones.

Last edited:
The 2 lb steel ball.
Plexiglass is extremely and likely it will not penetrate the cockpit.
The bird is probably going to do more damage, not to mention obstruct vision a lot worse, and if it goes up into the mast of my helicopter, I would guess the bird would be worse. Bullets and birds, concern me more than drones.

That's definitely the wrong answer. No aircraft windshield, even commercial, would survive a 2 lb steel ball impact. The ball wouldn't even see most GA or helicopter windshields, and it wouldn't stop in the cockpit either. The 20 lb bird is going to be bad too, at least with GA windshields, but simply cannot exert the same forces as the steel.

How many of you here have take a sledge hammer to a windshield from a plane, or helicopter?

They are not fragile like an automobile windshield.
Myself, and friends, have taken hammers to old windows out of aircraft, OMG are they strong! It might be years until we change another one due to yellowing and scratching, but when it does happen, I will video hitting it with a 4 lb sledge hammer.

How many of you here have take a sledge hammer to a windshield from a plane, or helicopter?

They are not fragile like an automobile windshield.
Myself, and friends, have taken hammers to old windows out of aircraft, OMG are they strong! It might be years until we change another one due to yellowing and scratching, but when it does happen, I will video hitting it with a 4 lb sledge hammer.

Not GA aircraft - military maybe. I've done controlled terminal ballistics testing on these structures - you are way overestimating their strength.

Watch "Bird Strike to helicopter windshield" on YouTube

A 20 lb bird is also very large, and stands a lot better chance of hitting someone inside, than a tiny ball, that would likely miss the humans. The mess, of blood and guts, from geese, that is left, is outrageous. It is hard as heck to see afterwards, not to mention the butt hole pucker factor of flying into geese. Lets say both the steel ball, and goose or other large bird, do penetrate the windshield, their size probably means the ball has an estimated 10% chance of hitting me in the face, compared to the birds 25% chance. Watching numerous blows, from numerous people, with a 4lb hammer, just bounce off the windows, while we took swings, I still will take my chances with the 2lb steel ball thanks.

in the USA Aircraft, are not allowed to fly below 500 feet unless taking off and landing, however, a drone has to yield the ALL aircraft, so even if he is at 50 feet and you do not avoid him and hit him, you loose, even if you try to avoid him and hit him you loose, last but not least what story is the new going to. run even if the airplane is at 100 feet? Will the story be airplane has drone, or drone hits airplane.

Watch "Bird Strike to helicopter windshield" on YouTube

A 20 lb bird is also very large, and stands a lot better chance of hitting someone inside, than a tiny ball, that would likely miss the humans. The mess, of blood and guts, from geese, that is left, is outrageous. It is hard as heck to see afterwards, not to mention the butt hole pucker factor of flying into geese. Lets say both the steel ball, and goose or other large bird, do penetrate the windshield, their size probably means the ball has an estimated 10% chance of hitting me in the face, compared to the birds 25% chance. Watching numerous blows, from numerous people, with a 4lb hammer, just bounce off the windows, while we took swings, I still will take my chances with the 2lb steel ball thanks.

That's a fast 2½-inch diameter steel projectile coming through the windshield. If it hits you pretty much anywhere you are dead. Your choice of course, but I'll take the goose any day.

Reactions: dronerdave
in the USA Aircraft, are not allowed to fly below 500 feet unless taking off and landing, however, a drone has to yield the ALL aircraft, so even if he is at 50 feet and you do not avoid him and hit him, you loose, even if you try to avoid him and hit him you loose, last but not least what story is the new going to. run even if the airplane is at 100 feet? Will the story be airplane has drone, or drone hits airplane.

That's simply not true, with helicopters commonly operating below 500 ft:

§91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:​
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.​
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.​
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.​
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—​
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and​
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.​

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
This is the first time I've had a manned aircraft approach me while in the middle of a flight. Since I had trouble seeing where the plane was in relation to my drone, I maintained my position and descended in altitude since it was higher than 300' AGL. I received the first verbal warning in English when the manned aircraft was detected by the ADS-B system, but as it got closer the warning the verbal warning was in Chinese and I have no idea what was said. I saw a small Cessna type aircraft after it went past my location. I've attached the flight log for reference, let me know if anyone has had a similar experience.

How did you actually receive the warning? What is the ADS-B system?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d