DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Encounter with Manned Aircraft - Flight Log Link

I live in the English lake district and the RAF often practice low level flying along the valleys, sometimes if you are on a road amongst the fell’s / mountain’s the plains are lower than you.

Indeed. We were driving in Scotland in April 2018 and had just passed and commented on a dude flying a drone when this zoomed past (caught on our GoPro):
1591506332392.png

If I had been the drone pilot it would have been 'thrilling.'

It was past in a flash and my brain said "Tornado" but I had to run the footage slowly that night to confirm.

Earlier in the trip a couple of Hawk trainers in formation flew up a valley next to us below the road level.

:)

Cheers

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
This is my plan as well. I would like pilots to chime in here, but I'm pretty sure that if a plane is flying 100 AGL and there isn't an airport nearby, they are more at fault than you are
You're right. In most countries there is a lower limit for manned aircraft of around 500 feet AGL, so that the 400 foot AGL drone ceiling (upper limit) allows a minimum of 100 foot vertical separation.

This is the first time I've had a manned aircraft approach me while in the middle of a flight. Since I had trouble seeing where the plane was in relation to my drone, I maintained my position and descended in altitude since it was higher than 300' AGL. I received the first verbal warning in English when the manned aircraft was detected by the ADS-B system, but as it got closer the warning the verbal warning was in Chinese and I have no idea what was said. I saw a small Cessna type aircraft after it went past my location. I've attached the flight log for reference, let me know if anyone has had a similar experience.

Get an app called Flightradar24 its able to tell you all aircraft anywhere in the world with altitude and all other info like where its from and where its going if its a commercial airline. Once you get the aircraft tail number then google it and google will tell you the current owner and where it is registered it works for all aircraft including helicopters not sure about gliders.

Get an app called Flightradar24 its able to tell you all aircraft anywhere in the world with altitude and all other info like where its from and where its going if its a commercial airline. Once you get the aircraft tail number then google it and google will tell you the current owner and where it is registered it works for all aircraft including helicopters not sure about gliders.
I have plane finder on my phone that shows the same thing, but why look it up? By the time you try to find out what and where it is, it's gone, and you should be controlling the drone anyway to get out of harms way if needed.

I have plane finder on my phone that shows the same thing, but why look it up? By the time you try to find out what and where it is, it's gone, and you should be controlling the drone anyway to get out of harms way if needed.
Plus not all aircraft transmit. So you can't rely on any reporting apps for warning you of all aircraft close to you.

You don’t have to use it no one says you do. As a pilot of full scale aircraft I use all my tools for various reasons. Additionally the app is interesting to pilots and fun not to mention that if you plan to launch your drone it can make you aware of low flying aircraft approaching you area. I also carry an iridium gps when I go hiking I don’t have to but I do.

Reactions: Camino Ken
You don’t have to use it no one says you do. As a pilot of full scale aircraft I use all my tools for various reasons. Additionally the app is interesting to pilots and fun not to mention that if you plan to launch your drone it can make you aware of low flying aircraft approaching you area. I also carry an iridium gps when I go hiking I don’t have to but I do.
I look at mine quite often also, the OP, and I, was talking about an aircraft that shows up while you are flying, no time to look for things at that time was my point, not to knock you for using your tools.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom