DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Club 3-Mile

flyNfrank

Reactions
It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

People have gone way further than 3 miles on a stock battery.

Unless my math is wrong? Stock I've seen 5.2 miles

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

Cool video. What do you use to incorporate the Flight Data overlays?

Hey guys. I'm a complete newbie but I flew a total of 29605ft or 5.6 miles a couple of weeks ago in Scotland and over water. Completely stock MP and landed with 24% battery left. Here's a screenshot and if you want the flight details just let me know. Don't know what the max is but I did this several times and know I could easily have gone farther/longer. **** I love this thing! I've got the video of the flight if there's any interest.
IMG_7161.png

Last edited:

These epic stories are brilliant only because I've been there! haha Coming out unscathed is what makes them so much better as your heart is in your stomach until your MP is safe in hand!

Please tell me you added sound effects for the thunder as that was unbelievable!

Reactions: Elan
People have gone way further than 3 miles on a stock battery.

Unless my math is wrong? Stock I've seen 5.2 miles

I should clarify the distance would be 3 miles away from Home Point, not 3 miles total. The flight in my video was just under 3.2 miles at the turn around.

Had I not had the headwind, I would have made it back to HP. I suppose those that get serious about distance flights might advise me to manually fly it back at full throttle, or possibly use speed mode?

Reactions: hookalakupua
I should clarify the distance would be 3 miles away from Home Point, not 3 miles total. The flight in my video was just under 3.2 miles at the turn around.

Had I not had the headwind, I would have made it back to HP. I suppose those that get serious about distance flights might advise me to manually fly it back at full throttle, or possibly use speed mode?
Well darn. Looks like I'm just short of the club. Guess I'll have to see what I can do this week. :)

Cool video. What do you use to incorporate the Flight Data overlays?

Thanks! Dashware.

These epic stories are brilliant only because I've been there! haha Coming out unscathed is what makes them so much better as your heart is in your stomach until your MP is safe in hand!

Please tell me you added sound effects for the thunder as that was unbelievable!

Yeah that was 100% sound effects. I did get into a downpour of rain. The actual rain was had to see because there was a lot of movement taking place at that point in the video. A wall of rain moved into the video when the aircraft was down to around 20ft and pointing towards the north...and very near the end of the video.

Well darn. Looks like I'm just short of the club. Guess I'll have to see what I can do this week. :)

I have about 8 flights that were in the range of 14,300ft give or take 200-500ft all prior to this flight.

So this 3.2 mile flight was unlike all others I had flown prior to. This flight was 16,765ft and the battery level was 72%!!!
I flew this flight back on the 30th of May and have now flown since. The only main difference from my other flights is, I have blocked the app from having access with the internet. I have the .400 firmware.

Btw, I had Smart RTH enabled. At turn around I had 4 bars showing on R/C and HD signal. But when it rotated 180 degrees, they went to "0" bars.

Go look on the "Distance Leaderboard" on this forum.

I believe the stock leaderboard is 27,000' that's about 5 miles one way.

And before you say the leaderboard is "round trip" it's not.

Those are all one way and many on totally stock systems

Hard to say... phxbird I know is in the desert.

I've had my Phantom record over the desert and the water. Water has great flat properties for distance. I'm less likely to push it because of the obvious

Reactions: MAVA4
3.65 miles. For distance trips I always go out against the wind, with the front sensors off and come back (about 30 seconds after it tells me to go home) in sports mode. Don't know if that is the best way to do it, but that's what I do. Landed this one with 14% battery left.

upload_2017-6-4_19-48-14.png

The water provides advantages over land. You want a long distance, go out in the early morning hours(less wind) and fly over water.

Do You guys get video feed when over 1 mile. I haven't gotten over a 3rd of a mile yet, but scared to loose video feed.... I would panoc and hit Rth.... Idk what else you can do if your screen is Grey...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM