DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Club 3-Mile

Use to fish Walla Walla river some good water and farm scenery. River is high this time of year. Wineries could be interesting, if they don't mind. Walla Walla prison would definitely be an interesting shoot ;).
Enjoy you time!

Reactions: Nightowl702
IMG_2821.PNG IMG_2823.PNG View attachment 16763
Close, but not close enough. I`ve tried again this morning, but had to turn round at the 2 mile mark due to fast battery discharging, guess the warm air does not help since the air is thinner and the battery runs hotter.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Good luck on your next 3 mile attempt. Mavic is capable, it's all about location and weather.

:)This beautiful 63 degree 0 wind morning assisted my mighty Mavic to exceed 3 mile distance. Auto RTH at 3.09 miles. During flight two weak signals, increasing hight from 150 ft. to max hight 285 ft. During flight no CPU issues. No video. Two images taken. Returned to manual control at 1,654 ft. and 33% battery. Total distance 6.3 mile. Landed with 26% battery remaining. So, been there done that Thumbswayup!

Last edited:
Just did a 3 mile flight this morning, 6.1 mile round trip. Landed with 13% battery remaining, winds were about 9mph. Had several obstacle warnings due to flying into the sun, strong interference warnings, and device CPU fully loaded warnings. Display froze about 4,000 feet from home location on the return due to the device CPU warnings. Wasn't a heat issue with my IPad mini 2, I made the flight from the inside of my car with the air conditioning full blast with windows up! I used tap to fly most of the way out as like a cruise control.

a4596810623796468e03808d3b6e0233.jpg

f1c69493654ebfbfba2ae9643c4178f4.jpg

d2492eb1d0adafa12583250b49c338b0.jpg

Last edited:
Great!

Three miles out with 9 mph wind. Good to know. I never attempted distance with wind above breeze level. Did you began flight into the wind? Return flight, manual or RTH? I assume RTH is more efficient then manual. Be nice if could mute RTH beep. I need a soft video tone to remind me video is running. Also would be good having a 4 Go compass. My flight was also with iPad. Total distance 6.3 mile.

Next I want to track drone using spotter scope.

Make the day a great one.

Great!

Three miles out with 9 mph wind. Good to know. I never attempted distance with wind above breeze level. Did you began flight into the wind? Return flight, manual or RTH? I assume RTH is more efficient then manual. Be nice if could mute RTH beep. I need a soft video tone to remind me video is running. Also would be good having a 4 Go compass. My flight was also with iPad. Total distance 6.3 mile.

Next I want to track drone using spotter scope.

Make the day a great one.

Flew into the wind on the way out. Used RTH and full forward on the right stick to get extra speed.

So, I was out mucking around today. Wind was low, and did a 3 mile flight that I followed up with this one. Landed with 18% battery.

I will try for more if I can get another low wind day.

Attachments

• IMG_1142.PNG
    IMG_1142.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
I should know this but how are you guys posting screenshots of your app?

In DJI GO, tap on the three bars at the right of the screen, go to flight records, select your flight. You should have the option to "playback" your flight.

When you reach your maximum distance from home, pause, take a screen shot on your device and Bob's your uncle.

Reactions: M4RK
So, I was out mucking around today. Wind was low, and did a 3 mile flight that I followed up with this one. Landed with 18% battery.

I will try for more if I can get another low wind day.
I see a 4 mile flight in your future.

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

Serves you right for flying 3 miles out!
Why the need to fly bvlos?
It's totally irresponsible flying, as you discovered.
I fly my drones for money as I have no interest in flying stupidly foolish flights! I have no need to fly that far at all!

Reactions: M4RK
Then don't .And please don't disrupt this thread anymore .
Go make you some money and have a good nite.

It's time for a club that gives a little recognition to those that accomplish the 3 mile task. Yes there are Mav Pilots that have flown much further, but 3 miles is a distance that can be flown with the stock battery in place.

Earlier this week I finally had weather that made for good flying. Prior to this I had issues with the app & firmware combo. I installed a combo I felt good about but my attempt at setting a new personal distance record was going to take place with no pre testing.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon as it finished rotating, it took a turn for the worse. 1st thing it began dropping both signals which lead into total loss of video completely. I wasn't worried as it was coming by RTH. I noticed the gps satellite reception was in super great shape at 20. Something that surprised me a lot was the headwind at turn around. At ground level there was no wind, at 800ft it must have been 10-15mph as the aircraft was into a -24 flight pitch and some 15mph slower. The norm for the RTH speed is around 22mph where because of headwind it was then at 15mph. Right away I went into lowering the altitude at a steady rate. The goal was to reduce altitude in hopes of less headwind. I managed to reach the halfway back home point and the video restored. Shortly after this however, 400ft from reaching home point I got jacked by the Critical Battery...and the decent downward was under way. This was totally new to me as I had never experienced a critical battery decent. As soon as I saw there was no chance of increasing altitude, my fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.

Wow,

How did you make this info in the screen? Looks very nice.

Thank you for the screenshot info. Since I never posted my proof here it is.
IMG_0213.PNG

Close to same distance, 16357 for my flight.
You provided good information. I should have included weather report from my home weather station. Next time I attempt long flight, if I do, will include weather report.

I had a need to fly the 3 mile out, however now I think "What If" and will need a reason to fly out that far.

I flew the flight and up to the turn around point, it was awesome! Just as soon asmy fingers started going everywhere on the controller sticks. And then....about 5 seconds later it began to rain. No doubt an event I wont be forgetting anytime soon.
Great writeup and video:D:D,got to look into that dashwareThumbswayup

3.65 miles. For distance trips I always go out against the wind, with the front sensors off and come back (about 30 seconds after it tells me to go home) in sports mode. Don't know if that is the best way to do it, but that's what I do. Landed this one with 14% battery left.
/QUOTE]
Why the front sensors off??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78