DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Code error 0x4000000

I just received my Mavic pro platinum. Same error, seems to fly fine though. iPhone 6s on 10.2, running the latest DJI app, and the latest firmware. I updated through my phone. Should I try something different? I'm hesitant to contact DJI because I don't want to wait longer to have the drone back. Maybe I'll sit tight until firmware is fixed. What do you all think?

This has been a reported error on USB port connection problems on some iOS systems. The solution was to change the connector.

If this occurs with both micro USB and USB connection, it still may be an issue with how the iOS is communicating with the controller.

Any added information is helpful. So far, this is only being reported with iOS. That it's happening with both iOS 10 and 11 has been noted.

Any Android issues?

This has been a reported error on USB port connection problems on some iOS systems. The solution was to change the connector.

If this occurs with both micro USB and USB connection, it still may be an issue with how the iOS is communicating with the controller.

Any added information is helpful. So far, this is only being reported with iOS. That it's happening with both iOS 10 and 11 has been noted.

Any Android issues?
That is correct, I changed to the USB and I never got disconnected for one whole battery. Halfway through I received the error, but it didn't cut the video/connection to my phone. The only problem I had was multiple compass errors which I had to restart and calibrate my drone. This could be because I flew 650ft away from a cell tower. But it doesn't happen every time I fly. What do you guys think? (And by the way, isn't awesome to see us all working together?!:))

A few possible previously posted solutions.

Uninstall DJI go4 app.
Reboot phone
Hook RC to DJI assistant 2 and confirm correct firmware update.

Reinstall DJI 4 APP

Reboot and see if system is fixed.

From what I can surmise, and looking at other issues such as this with the Mavic Pro, this is a unique iOS problem.

Reactions: Rnl
welp no error last night when I tested the drone, had to charge controller battery to update. Charged it last night. Went to test the drone tonight and I have the error.

I too have the exact same error message (Air Encoder Error) on my new MPP.
I have not flown it.
I initially used the iPhone 7+. I have tried DownGrade/Upgrade using Assistant 2.
I have the original memory card, but also used the 64G card as well from DJI.
I have formatted both cards using the Go 4 app, and formatting using Windows computer.
I have tried with and without the memory card installed.
I have tried with iPhone 7+, and a cellular iPad Pro via usb. (current iOS 11.0.3)
I have tried different batteries.
I have taken a few photos and video's as a test. I didn't get any errors while doing this. I was able to review the pictures/videos taken. I am new, but it appears to work in this regard.
I think I tried everything.

The only "Unusual" thing that occurred I would like to share is that when I tried to downgrade/upgrade the controller,
my new Mac Book Pro called out an error:
"USB Accessories Disabled. Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices"

Well, that's is strange! I am following the instructions.
Anyway, I unplugged the controller from my Mac Computer, and plugged it into a windows computer, and did the downgrade/upgrade to the controller.

I still have the error: Air Encoder Error (0x4000000)

They delayed shipping by almost a month. One would think there would be no issues.
Now I have to make a decision. I want to return it since it hasn't flown.
At least I am not alone.
This is exactly my case as well. I have the iPhone 7+ and can’t fly because of the same error message.

So I downgraded my drone to version 1.03 from 1.04 ( no sure the exact mix if its 1.0.3 or whatever but I went from the update to what the drone came with) and my error is gone.

The question now is: does anyone have an MPP and do not have this error?

I'm an IOS user and won't proceed with ordering a MPP until this gets straightened out. Very disappointing to read that problems such as this are plaguing this product. My MP was "spot on", perfect for nearly a year and after losing it due to my own miscalculation of remaining battery power, I was hopeful that the MPP would be the right choice for replacement.

I have an IOS - 7+ and DJI is telling me I need a replacement. They are shipping a new platinum. Appears to be hardware. Go figure - you wait and wait and then when you think you have it you need to wait again. And we are talking $1500+ and no official word as to what is going on.

I have an IOS - 7+ and DJI is telling me I need a replacement. They are shipping a new platinum. Appears to be hardware. Go figure - you wait and wait and then when you think you have it you need to wait again. And we are talking $1500+ and no official word as to what is going on.

There is another thread about this issue
Code error 0x4000000

I don't have this issue because I am using Android, but I have a interest in solving software/hardware issues and have followed this thread.

I would not return the drone. This is NOT , in my opinion, a hardware problem. Otherwise, it would not be isolated to iOS. Also, a similar problem happened when the Phantom was released. There was an issue with iOS and error codes that was resolved with a firmware fix and an Apple iOS patch.

If it was hardware, i.e., USB port or microusb problem, this would not be an isolated iOS problem.

So, I think that the tech support is unaware of this issue, or has not been given the correct information. I would sit tight for a day.

As an aside, the other threads note that some can fly without issues. They just get the error, but connect and fly.

Is that what happens or is this a complete lock out from getting to fly???

Code error 0x4000000

I don't have this issue because I am using Android, but I have a interest in solving software/hardware issues and have followed this thread.

I would not return the drone. This is NOT , in my opinion, a hardware problem. Otherwise, it would not be isolated to iOS. Also, a similar problem happened when the Phantom was released. There was an issue with iOS and error codes that was resolved with a firmware fix and an Apple iOS patch.

If it was hardware, i.e., USB port or microusb problem, this would not be an isolated iOS problem.

So, I think that the tech support is unaware of this issue, or has not been given the correct information. I would sit tight for a day.

As an aside, the other threads note that some can fly without issues. They just get the error, but connect and fly.

Its just an error that you can connect with and still fly.

Here is an update.

I am unwilling to ship this back and risk getting a refurb at all. So I took the risk after following the advice from the DJI forum admin and just flew it.

10 minute flight in an openish field with no issues. Aircraft connected nice and easily, camera and all features worked. Collision avoidance worked ( I stuck my hand under it and it moved up and away ).

I called DJI up after this and spoke to a tech guy ( probably knew nothing but ) he said they are aware of the issue and believe it to be firmware in my case because the issue wasnt there prior to updating the drone to the newest firmware. I didn't know that the controller charged off a micro usb cable and thought they forgot to send me a cable and ended up decharging it below 50% so it wouldn't update. Error didn't show up until I went to update the drone the following morning after realizing I was dumb and charging the controller.

I was told if there is no issues to go ahead keep flying and update if there is any issues. They would release an update at some point and believe this is an iOS flaw.

Last edited:
Reactions: UAVNV
Code error 0x4000000

I can’t fully answer your last question because I won’t fly it with this error. It would be my fault if I did fly the Drone and something happened. Try explaining that to DJI. It is difficult as it is to explain this issue to them as you know. This is not my first Drone. I’ve been with DJI since they started and have several of their drones. Including one I built from scratch using most of the electronics a few years back. I agree with you about the cause and expect to wait a few days before I do anything. But what a dilemma - you pay good money and then you wait and then fight for only what you had coming to you.

Reactions: reptarbydesign
I can’t fully answer your last question because I won’t fly it with this error. It would be my fault if I did fly the Drone and something happened. Try explaining that to DJI. It is difficult as it is to explain this issue to them as you know. This is not my first Drone. I’ve been with DJI since they started and have several of their drones. Including one I built from scratch using most of the electronics a few years back. I agree with you about the cause and expect to wait a few days before I do anything. But what a dilemma - you pay good money and then you wait and then fight for only what you had coming to you.

I completely agree with you, I took the risk because I really thought it was a firmware issue and didn't want to send it back. I won't be flying it again until theres an update since I don't want to risk losing it, damaging it or anyone else, etc

I would have just asked for a replacement and returned it if I hadn't hovered it to test it in the garage before updating. ( You live you learn )

Wish they would give the people having the issue some sort of credit.

I completely agree with you, I took the risk because I really thought it was a firmware issue and didn't want to send it back. I won't be flying it again until theres an update since I don't want to risk losing it, damaging it or anyone else, etc

Wish they would give the people having the issue some sort of credit.

And then you get this email from DJI telling you the return process and if you don’t do something exactly right you may forfeit the repair/return. As if this was my fault. Does DJI understand that this is their problem and I am the victim? Please note that the attached is just a portion of the email I received and could appear that I am taking things out of context - that is not my intent. DBFD782B-F073-454D-87E3-5426CDBE441A.png

Ok, here's the official response from DJI.

If you fly with the error, they are apparently absolving you of any responsibility.

So, if a problem occurs, you are merely following their advice.

upload_2017-10-19_17-14-14.png

I am not flying my MPP! They will blame me for the Encoder Error. .."must have been a crash"

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that I have the same error. The consensus seems to be an iOS issue.
With that in mind, I would like to share another issue with iOS.

The PDF manual from Web, (not the 4 inch high, 2 pixel high type face manual that came with the product)
“Flight Test”, page 56.

2. Turn on Remote Controler, and your mobile device. Turn on flight battery.
3. Launch the DJI Go 4 App….

This seems to be the ‘standard’ sequence.
However, I can never connect this way using iOS. (Both iPhone, and Cellular iPad)

To connect, I have to do this in sequence:

1 Launch DJI Go 4 App
2 Turn on Controller
3 Turn on MPP

Now, the iOS device is connected.
I wonder if there are more iOS issues ???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329