DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold weather/snow flying

harmonix234

Reactions
Advisable? Would you recommend for or against it?

Currently in Chicago IT snowing lightly and could use the opp to get some snow shots In

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Advisable? Would you recommend for or against it?

Currently in Chicago IT snowing lightly and could use the opp to get some snow shots In

It can and will, just make sure she's warm before you fly and she will do fine. Guys have taken her to mountain tops and flown in extreme rain. I'd limit it to 15 min just to be safe and not go further than a mile. Check forums for post on this

Sent from [emoji211]

Reactions: sterlingjack
The Mavic manual advises not to fly in temperatures below freezing. However, it's certainly possible to safely do it with some extra care on your part. And, check out these search results for more cold weather flying topics.

From the Chicago area too (SW suburbs), put my P3 4K in the air last night (~24F) as well as last sunday (~32F/0C), during the snow storm. Battery usage a bit higher than normal (but so were the winds), no issues, just make sure your batteries stay room temp prior to flying. They will heat up during the flight....

Had issues with the ipad display freezing during the snow storm, but that is because snow was accumulating on the display... last night no issues with the iPAD

Here are the temp reports from HealthyDrones.com (if you don't have a subscription on HD, you need to get one, the data you get is way cool):
the first is a flight from September , where the ambient temp was mid 80's to 90F's, low winds, the second from last sunday ~32F (short flight)with winds 11mph-14mph and the third last night ~24F for 16 min or so Battery1.JPG Battery2.JPG
Battery3.JPG

Last edited:
The Mavic manual advises not to fly in temperatures below freezing. However, it's certainly possible to safely do it with some extra care on your part. Check out the cold weather flying tips here, here, and here. And, check out these search results for more cold weather flying topics.

Thanks for the info and links. It's -30C up here right now, so I think I'll just stay inside where it's warm, but looking forward to getting some winter shots when/if it warms up a bit. :)

Wow, I live in Alaska and was nervous about flying mine at -7 Fahrenheit, my old 350 QX would freak out at temperatures below +20 so maybe I'm a little too cautious when it comes to flying the Mavic in the cold.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Yes as long as you start with warm batteries that just came from indoors, you should be fine. Just keep the flights shorter, not much more than 15 minutes or so to avoid the cold battery warning and possibly triggering a RTH. I just flew a few hours ago in downtown Chicago along the lakeshore path and a little bit over the lake and the air temps were in the low single digits and the wind chill factor even colder. I brought 2 extra batteries that I placed in Liposafe pouches and stuck them in the inner chest pocket of my down jacket to keep them warm. Swapped batteries twice and got around 50 minutes of flight time in the freezing cold. No issues.

Yes as long as you start with warm batteries that just came from indoors, you should be fine. Just keep the flights shorter, not much more than 15 minutes or so to avoid the cold battery warning and possibly triggering a RTH. I just flew a few hours ago in downtown Chicago along the lakeshore path and a little bit over the lake and the air temps were in the low single digits and the wind chill factor even colder. I brought 2 extra batteries that I placed in Liposafe pouches and stuck them in the inner chest pocket of my down jacket to keep them warm. Swapped batteries twice and got around 50 minutes of flight time in the freezing cold. No issues.
Are you flying a Mavic Pro? If so, did you purchase it in the Chicago area? Inquiring person in Wheaton wants to know!

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Are you flying a Mavic Pro? If so, did you purchase it in the Chicago area? Inquiring person in Wheaton wants to know!
Yes, but did not purchase locally. Pre-ordered flymore combo from B&H in NYC and received it a couple of weeks ago.

Wow, I live in Alaska and was nervous about flying mine at -7 Fahrenheit, my old 350 QX would freak out at temperatures below +20 so maybe I'm a little too cautious when it comes to flying the Mavic in the cold.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

What part you in? I live just south of Fairbanks and haven't had an issue. I've flown as cold as -20 and haven't seen any real noticeable affects. Here's a video I made in Nenana. It's was -18.

From the Chicago area too (SW suburbs), put my P3 4K in the air last night (~24F) as well as last sunday (~32F/0C), during the snow storm. Battery usage a bit higher than normal (but so were the winds), no issues, just make sure your batteries stay room temp prior to flying. They will heat up during the flight....

Had issues with the ipad display freezing during the snow storm, but that is because snow was accumulating on the display... last night no issues with the iPAD

So, the P3 (have a P3A) are not very susceptible to water damage.. at least from the snow or was the snow flakey enough that you were not as concerned about it penetrating that much?

I had my Phantom (original) out years ago (accident end-of-storm flight) with a gopro, but the lens just got splotched with water marks and it was a mess... I brought her down as soon as I saw flakes.

For folks sending up the Mavic with snow, are you putting some black tape on the top of the battery to seal it out and using the lens cover?

What part you in? I live just south of Fairbanks and haven't had an issue. I've flown as cold as -20 and haven't seen any real noticeable affects. Here's a video I made in Nenana. It's was -18.

Nice video. How cold was it at the time? I live in Tok.

No battery temperature warning? I was flying a friends phantom 4 in Northway at around 45 degrees and it gave me a low temperature warning, but it had been sitting in the car for hours prior.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada