DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Coming Back

eckydrone200

Reactions
Just bought a Mavic Air FlyMore Combo off Ebay so will hopefully be more active on the forum again. I made a big mistake and sold my MA FlyMore Combo last December as it was just lying around unused due to weather and I thought it was a waste of money tied up like that. I have regretted it ever since so now I find myself in the position of replacing everything I had with the exact same stuff. Bit of explaining to do to the wife. Was going to wait to see if the Mavic Air 2 was released but can't wait as it may be months away if it actually happens.

Thanks for the likes guys and for the welcome back from old man Mavic. I have always been reading the posts and looking at the photos and videos and that is what made me purchase the MA once again. I intend going for the
A2 CofC course with Heliguy sometime this year just to make it less restrictive.

Thanks for the likes guys and for the welcome back from old man Mavic. I have always been reading the posts and looking at the photos and videos and that is what made me purchase the MA once again. I intend going for the
A2 CofC course with Heliguy sometime this year just to make it less restrictive.
An A2 CofC will not matter with the Air since it is not a certified aircraft. It will be classed as a legacy UAV and will be pretty much useless after July 2021 for any congested area use.
Legacy aircraft cannot be retrospectively certified.
The Air 2 is extremely close and will be C2 certified so will have the requisite low Kinetic energy and low speed modes necessary as well as equipped with ADS-B in.
Since the new Air will be sub 900g MTOM it will put it in the A1 sub catagory (of the open section) so an A2CofC will not be necessary since you will be allowed close proximity flights (down to 5m) in any case utilizing the 1:1 rule effective 1st July this year.
This will not be possible with the existing air or any other DJI aircraft currently on the market.

Last edited:
I was aware of the fact that the current Air will be classed as a legacy aircraft but I thought there was 2 years grace until July 2022 which is called the transitional period and during this time you can have the same rights as the new certified models if you have done the A2 CofC. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. I fully intend to go for the new Air some time but just too impatient to wait.

I was aware of the fact that the current Air will be classed as a legacy aircraft but I thought there was 2 years grace until July 2022 which is called the transitional period and during this time you can have the same rights as the new certified models if you have done the A2 CofC. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. I fully intend to go for the new Air some time but just too impatient to wait.
Yes.....and no.
You will be able to fly under an A2CofC with a legacy aircraft but.....
You will NOT have the same close proximity and overflight abilities of a certified UAV.
So, even though the existing Air is only 430g, because it does not meet the certification requirements it will be treated as a C2 aircraft. ie - no overflight of uninvolved people etc.

Last edited:
I feel you, the weather in my country sucks so bad. Rains a lot and suddenly. My flight has been less frequent but I've still managed to create awesome works in few bright moments. I can't wait for this rainy season to be over.

Last edited:
Yes.....and no.
You will be able to fly under an A2CofC with a legacy aircraft but.....
You will NOT have the same close proximity and overflight abilities of a certified UAV.
So, even though the existing Air is only 430g, because it does not meet the certification requirements it will be treated as a C2 aircraft. ie - no overflight of uninvolved people etc.

This is the info I have seen on the changes and this section applies specifically to the Mavic Air so just wondering if I am interpreting it wrong.

After July 2020 (Transitional Period)
Where Can I Fly?
There can be no intentional flight over uninvolved persons (A1 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.

This is the info I have seen on the changes and this section applies specifically to the Mavic Air so just wondering if I am interpreting it wrong.

After July 2020 (Transitional Period)
Where Can I Fly?
There can be no intentional flight over uninvolved persons (A1 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.
No - you are correct, but as I said, even with an A2 CofC you cannot have the proximity (or overflight freedom) with legacy aircraft that a certified UAV will give you.
Essentially, all the cert gives you is the current PfCO stand off distances. Although obviously the PfCO is dead from July 1st.
You will not be able to take advantage of flying down to 5m using the 1:1 rule.
After the transitional period has ended you will be restricted to 150m in perpetuity

Thanks for that info. I intend to buy a compliant Air after they have been out for a while and any teething problems have hopefully been sorted.

Reactions: The Editor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky