DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When its to good to be true

Rnl

Reactions
I’ve been into DJI drones since the original Mavic, bought it brand new, and flew it almost everyday. Then came the Mavic2, Air2, Mini2, Air2S, and I wanted them all - just couldn’t swing it. Saved for awhile and finally broke down and bought the Air2S Flymore. Two months later I see the combo for sale on FB MarketPlace for only $300, so I thought it was a scam, but I set a time to meet. The seller showed up with a drone that had only been in the air three times. He unregistered it from his account in front of me, and I felt so bad, I gave him $350. Two weeks later I see just the bird for $150, so again I set up a time to meet. I bought it with a battery in it, and the bird looked new. I figured I would gamble and then bought a remote for $50. I bound them together, and it flew great with 2 charges on the battery. Since I now have 3 Air2S, so I sell the combo for $850 and the drone and controller for $700, making a $500 profit on each bird. Four months go by, and I see a brand new, unregistered Mavic3 Flymore for $1,500. I offered $1,000, and he accepted. I came home, unboxed everything, and registered the drone, but it wouldn’t fly. Now I’m worried. I contacted DJI, they sent a return label, and two days later I received a brand new Mavic3 Flymore combo. (Great service from DJI.) Moral of the story: Sometimes too good to be true turns out to be great. With buying and selling, I now have a Mavic3 Flymore for free.

I bet they were stolen drones... new tech at low price if not scam is stolen.

I sold my Air2S for around 750€ a year ago and all the second hand Air2S were around 900€. I sold mine a bit cheaper because it had more than 170h of flight time and 4.000Km, and I'm always honest with the things I sell.

Then I switched to the Autel Evo Lite+ to avoid Aeroscope, but the motors failed to start after around 70h, so I returned it and then went bacj to DJI again and purchased the M3.

I'll stay with the M3 for a long time because it's almost perfect, and the tele is unbeatable. I also want to pick an Avata, but the current bundles are a fail.

I bet they were stolen drones... new tech at low price if not scam is stolen.

I sold my Air2S for around 750€ a year ago and all the second hand Air2S were around 900€. I sold mine a bit cheaper because it had more than 170h of flight time and 4.000Km, and I'm always honest with the things I sell.

Then I switched to the Autel Evo Lite+ to avoid Aeroscope, but the motors failed to start after around 70h, so I returned it and then went bacj to DJI again and purchased the M3.

I'll stay with the M3 for a long time because it's almost perfect, and the tele is unbeatable. I also want to pick an Avata, but the current bundles are a fail.
Not stolen, was registered in their names, if stolen wouldn't fly.
Mavic3 was house warming gift from realtor and the guy had no Interest in it.

Very good story and it's not always too good to be true I agree.
Stolen drones would be bound to an account (with anything using the Fly app) and if the person unbound it in front of you it's for real. How else would be they able to login to the account and do that if it was stolen? lol. I am about to sell my MA2 to whoever buys it and also unbind it in front of them too or if it sells online i'll guarantee i'll do it for them. I'm gonna sell it with fly more package with hard case and a few extras and even include the tablet.
My story is similar to yours OP. I bought a twice flown Autel XSP for 400 with only 2 flights and sold it 3 years later for 450 and bought the MA2. The MA2 wasn't exactly what I wanted and why I'm selling. I checked out Fakebook Marketplace and found a lightly used M2P (which is truly what I originally wanted) with smart controller for 650 the other day. Met with the seller, flew it and bought it. Can't be happier.
Kudos to you OP and good story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rnl
Stolen drones would be bound to an account (with anything using the Fly app) and if the person unbound it it front of you it's for real. How else would be they able to login to the account and do that if it was stolen? lol.

Bound your drone is not a mandatory thing, so the previous owner may not have bounded it. Also, it can stolen from a shop, from a truck, warehouse, etc.

No one gives "duros a cuatro pesetas". If the drone is too cheap to be true, and it's not a box full of stones but a working, original, 100% functional drone with just a bunch of flights, I'd bet it's stolen goods.

In general second hand tech market is full of this kind of things, specially on smartphones.

Last edited:
Bound your drone is not a mandatory thing, so the previous owner may not have bounded it. Also, it can stolen from a shop, from a truck, warehouse, etc.

No one gives "duros a cuatro pesetas". If the drone is too cheap to be true, and it's not a box full of stones but a working, original, 100% functional drone with just a bunch of flights, I'd bet it's stolen goods.

In general second hand tech market is full of this kind of things, specially on smartphones.
Ok Debi downer, guess I trust people a little more. Nothing more I could do, watched them go in their accounts and unbind so figured if stolen wouldn't be registered to them.

Reactions: BanditsRoost
Ok Debi downer, guess I trust people a little more. Nothing more I could do, watched them go in their accounts and unbind so figured if stolen wouldn't be registered to them.
Don't know about anyone else but when I registered it boundto my account

Reactions: Tufargon
There's also the faa registration to transfer just like with an automobile title.

I'd always advise caution with items like DJI drones, Apple devices, Gopro cameras, Microsoft Surface tablets etc. because they are popular items in high demand and hold their value well so if someone is selling them well below what they are worth there's a good change it's a scam. The existence of good deals doesn't change that advice to be cautious and there's been a few people here caught out by drone scams, I'd certainly be suspicious why people are selling drones way below what they're worth and even below what you could get taking it into a shop.

On newer drones with the Fly app it sure is mandatory. Otherwise it won't let the user launch. It binds it when you sign in the Fly app on the first flight.
Anyways. Again to OP, nice story and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Rnl
There's also the faa registration to transfer just like with an automobile title.
FAA registration numbers are not transferred. The new owner has to register it in their name

Have to go through the same process like you do a title transfer.
No, you don't! The new owner simply goes to the FAA website and registers it under his name!
Where are you getting your information?
Hobbyist only registers themselves and they get one number that can be placed on multiple drones. Under Part 107 each drone has to be registered separately. If the previous owner had the drone registered under Part 107 then they should cancel the registration upon completion of the sale.

Registration Fees

• Part 107 registration costs $5 per drone and is valid for three (3) years.
  • The Exception for Recreational Flyers registration costs $5 and is valid for three (3) years.
  • Once registered, drone registration cannot be transferred between types (part 107 or the Exception for Recreational Flyers).

No, you don't! The new owner simply goes to the FAA website and registers it under his name!
Where are you getting your information?
Hobbyist only registers themselves and they get one number that can be placed on multiple drones. Under Part 107 each drone has to be registered separately. If the previous owner had the drone registered under Part 107 then they should cancel the registration upon completion of the sale.

Registration Fees

• Part 107 registration costs $5 per drone and is valid for three (3) years.
  • The Exception for Recreational Flyers registration costs $5 and is valid for three (3) years.
  • Once registered, drone registration cannot be transferred between types (part 107 or the Exception for Recreational Flyers).
To alleviate confusion, Part 107 is what I'm talking about.

To alleviate confusion, Part 107 is what I'm talking about.
It doesn't matter. The Registration numbers are NOT transferred!! Re-read the correct steps when buying a used drone that has been previously registered.

You are YET to cite your source.

NOW get back on topic!

... Moral of the story: Sometimes too good to be true turns out to be great. With buying and selling, I now have a Mavic3 Flymore for free.
To cut through all the negative comments in this thread...
NICE FINDS. It's great that something actually benefited a buyer. I love my Air 2S' but an added Mavic 3 basically for free is a no-brainer and awesome!
I'm glad all of the transactions were legit and you were able to benefit all the way around. Great stuff.

When I got my first drone I also had a "too good to be true". The seller was dumping all of his GPS drones back in 2017 in favor of FPV. I was able to snag one of his P4Ps with 5 batts, polar pro NDs, Manfrotto backpack, charging hubs, 20 props, etc for less than $500. I felt like a thief, lol.

To cut through all the negative comments in this thread...
NICE FINDS. It's great that something actually benefited a buyer. I love my Air 2S' but an added Mavic 3 basically for free is a no-brainer and awesome!
I'm glad all of the transactions were legit and you were able to benefit all the way around. Great stuff.

When I got my first drone I also had a "too good to be true". The seller was dumping all of his GPS drones back in 2017 in favor of FPV. I was able to snag one of his P4Ps with 5 batts, polar pro NDs, Manfrotto backpack, charging hubs, 20 props, etc for less than $500. I felt like a thief, lol.
They are out there just got to keep yor eyes open. Great find on P4P

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13