DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it time to upgrade?

Mr500CM

Reactions
I am a photographer and love to explore the world through the lens of my drone. I am currently flying a Mavic Air2. This drone has been great to fly and I have taken some amazing images with it but like every photographer I’m chasing the best image that a drone can produce and they’re a few new drones out. Budget is a cerncern.

My Air2 had several issues and just before my care refresh expired I sent my drone in and I have a brand new unopened Air2 in a sealed box. Ok here’s my dilemma, ideally I’d like to sell the Air2 and upgrade to a Mavic 3 Classic but I don’t have the funds to do that. My other options are to sell the Air2 for either a Air2s or a Mini 3 Pro. I’m not looking for trade offers, I’m asking other shooters their thoughts, to me it’s all about the camera quality. Third option is to keep the Air2 and just keep flying with that. Anybody else go through this?

Lance

Reactions: kalimah
There is no doubt the best bang for your money is the Air 2S , its a nice upgrade over the Air 2 and you will be more than satisfied with Video and pIcture Quality.

I think sometimes we expect to much out of the Mavic 3 because of its price and specs , but you cannot go wrong with the Air 2S setup as it will surprise you over and over again , where the Mavic 3 maybe not as much because you expect super human pictures and videos but so much of that is in the editing .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain. Land on the Water , our #1 pick

Last edited:
You s
I am a photographer and love to explore the world through the lens of my drone. I am currently flying a Mavic Air2. This drone has been great to fly and I have taken some amazing images with it but like every photographer I’m chasing the best image that a drone can produce and they’re a few new drones out. Budget is a cerncern.

My Air2 had several issues and just before my care refresh expired I sent my drone in and I have a brand new unopened Air2 in a sealed box. Ok here’s my dilemma, ideally I’d like to sell the Air2 and upgrade to a Mavic 3 Classic but I don’t have the funds to do that. My other options are to sell the Air2 for either a Air2s or a Mini 3 Pro. I’m not looking for trade offers, I’m asking other shooters their thoughts, to me it’s all about the camera quality. Third option is to keep the Air2 and just keep flying with that. Anybody else go through this?

Lance
You simply get what you pay for. You can’t get $2,000. results for &1,200. Sorry!

The Air 2S is a much better drone than the Mini 3 Pro.
  • Much better stability - The Mini 3 can not handle the wind well
  • Much faster
  • Much better camera overall - Only at night does the Mini 3 Pro shine a little bit better because of the 1.7 aperture but in my opinion, does not worth it because is very blurry. During the day recording the Air 2S is better with a bigger sensor and even is 5.4K resolution.
  • The battery - Yes the Mini 3 Pro may last a little bit more but at the end of testing I can cover the same or more distance with the Air 2S because cruises faster. For me is not a killing point.
  • The Mini 3 Pro has a bad tendency to drift and not fly straight with just a 6-7 Mph wind. The Air 2S is a solid drone.
  • In photography, I consider the Mini 3 Pro horrible next to the Air 2S. They are not even close. The tiny sensor does not help at all. I see the Mini 3 Pro more like an Air 2.
  • The Air 2S has better Digital zoom 4X while Mini 3 Pro is 2x in 4K.
  • The Air 2S is Normal/D-log M/HLG Color Profile - the HLG is really good
  • The Mini 3 Pro is Normal/D-Cinelike Color profile lacking of D-Log and HLG
  • The Air 2S has a precision landing. The Mini 3 Pro does not.
  • The Air 2S has LED for landing
  • The Air 2S has already SDK
  • The Mini 3 Pro is very portable
  • The Mini 3 Pro is very quiet.
  • The Mini 3 Pro is under 249g and does not need to be registered (not a problem for me)
  • Many people report range problems with the Mini 3 Pro. I personally do not notice any problem (I fly with the RC Pro) but I need to test with the DJI RC that I also have. I haven't time to test.
For the price, the Air 2S is the drone to get.

Last edited:
There is much more we can talk. In resume, if you are in the US probably the Air 2S is the best option. In the UK because of the weight limitations, the Mini 3 Pro will be the option.

If you care so much about portability, the Mini 3 Pro hands down.

If you decide on the Air2s, IM me, I have the Bundle (Only flown 20 minutes for testing after applying all firmware), range of ND filters ND2 - ND2000, PL Filters, Two Variable ND Filters, Multi Quick Charger.

After doing a lot of research I went with the Air2S over the Mini3Pro. The reasons for this is because the camera is a lot better in the Air2S. Granted not too many things except computers can use 5.4 K video. The 1 inch sensor makes it a better camera hands down. I also watched tons of reviews on both and there were advantages to the Mini 3 Pro such as size and being able to get portrait pictures. As for wind it doesn't like wind too well. The Mini3 Pro does have better battery life but to get dramatically longer battery life your drone will weigh more then 249 grams. That is using their extended battery. The Air 2 S has object detection up, down, front and back. The Mini 3 Pro only has front, back and down. In flying distance the Air 2 S has better distance flying from the videos I have watched then the mini 3 pro does. There are also more pre Programmed modes in the Air 2 S as well. All this I took into account when I purchase the Air 2S.

• Much faster
  • Much better camera overall - Only at night does the Mini 3 Pro shine a little bit better because of the 1.7 aperture but in my opinion, does not worth it because is very blurry. During the day recording the Air 2S is better with a bigger sensor and even is 5.4K resolution.
  • The battery - Yes the Mini 3 Pro may last a little bit more but at the end of testing I can cover the same or more distance with the Air 2S because cruises faster. For me is not a killing point.
  • The Mini 3 Pro has a bad tendency to drift and not fly straight with just a 6-7 Mph wind. The Air 2S is a solid drone.
  • In photography, I consider the Mini 3 Pro horrible next to the Air 2S. They are not even close. The tiny sensor does not help at all. I see the Mini 3 Pro more like an Air 2.
  • The Mini 3 Pro is under 249g and does not need to be registered (not a problem for me)
  • Many people report range problems with the Mini 3 Pro. I personally do not notice any problem (I fly with the RC Pro) but I need to test with the DJI RC that I also have. I haven't time to test.
WOW . How does it stack up to the M3 classic spec wise?

Depends where you live.

If you look at the manual / specs
  • The operating temperature for the Air 2S is 0..40 C.
  • The operating temperature for the Air 2 is -10…40 C.
This is the biggest reason why the A2S is a nogo for me. Also flying an Air 2, and looking at upgrades. And today it was -9C here in Southern Finland, and I captured wonderful sunset pictures. But then again, it depends where you live and where you fly 😁

Both the Mini3Pro and Mavic 3 Classic is specced from -10. The mini 2 and the air 2s for some reason stuck with 0C as the lowest operating temperature.

WOW . How does it stack up to the M3 classic spec wise?
Comparing with the Mavic 3 Classic the main advantage will be the camera that is 4/3 sensor, 200 bit rates, F2.8-F11 also better battery performance and time.
The Mavic 3 is faster and really handle the wind very well and has side obstacle avoidance.

The Mavic 3 Classic is an upgrade over the Air 2S hands down. The Mavic 3 is the same but on top of that has the Zoom camera and if you opt for the Cine version has an SSD hard drive and AppleRes codec license.

In my opinion DJI is asking way to much money for the Mavic 3. The classic version seems to be more reasonable but the king of what you get for your money hands down is the Air 2S.

The Mavic 3 and the Mini 3 has the battery like internally allowing the electronics to heat up little bit more the battery. If that is my case in your scenario i will just put a Wetsuit to the Air2S to keep it warmer in the icy conditions.

DJI claims the Mini 3 Pro can handle class 5 winds. I can assure for my experience is not true. The Air 2S handle much better the wind where the Mini 3 pro struggle. The paper can hold all that DJI want to write to sell you the drone. The real life is another story.

Reactions: 13_Dragons
Thanks you all for you in. I’m just trying to get the most for my buck, the reason I’m not considering the mavic 3 classic. Ive more or less decided to go with a Air2s and I’ll try and pick up the newer controller with it and sell my unused air2.

Thanks you all for you in. I’m just trying to get the most for my buck, the reason I’m not considering the mavic 3 classic. Ive more or less decided to go with a Air2s and I’ll try and pick up the newer controller with it and sell my unused air2.
You can buy the Mavic 3 Classic drone only and use the same controller from your Mini2/Mini3/Mini3Pro/Air2/Air2S/Mavic3 RC-N1 (RC-232) that is compatible with all those drones.

I Just realized this was my message 3K

I just found an excellent video to see comparison.

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
  • Much faster
As far as size, cost, and quality my vote goes to the Air 2s also. I fly a phantom 4 pro and the air 2s. I love both of them.

Reactions: zeusfl
Hmm, I see a lot of people trying to compare the mini 3 pro to the Air 2 /2s .

The mini 3 pro is an entry level hobbies / simi pro drone where as the AIR series was a pro level In its day.

Why not compare it to the M 3 a real move up.

Refurbished M3 are $1600 from DJI.

If you need new the compared it to the M 3 Classic.

Why put money into old technology that you will look to replace in less that 2 years.

Hmm, I see a lot of people trying to compare the mini 3 pro to the Air 2 /2s .

The mini 3 pro is an entry level hobbies / simi pro drone where as the AIR series was a pro level In its day.

Why not compare it to the M 3 a real move up.

Refurbished M3 are $1600 from DJI.

If you need new the compared it to the M 3 Classic.

Why put money into old technology that you will look to replace in less that 2 years.
I need to disagree from you.
The air was never meant to be a Pro level drone. After the Spark the Air was the option and then the Mavic Pro.
The problem here is that DJI asking price for the Mini (entry level drone) is very comparable to the intermedium drone Air 2S, and that is exactly why is the comparison because the price is not that far and on top of that they called Pro when a medium drone has more PRO features than this Mini 3 Pro.

My biggest disappointment from this PRO drone is that you can not change the aperture like the Mavic 3 or Mavic 2 Pro. Why called Pro?

DJI is going higher and higher on the price without offer a justification for it. Give me more technology and I will be happy to pay more, at the end, you are supposed to get what you pay. This is not the case from the Mavic 3 or Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: Anthony Ivory
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun