DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Washed out sunset

platty

Reactions
So I took my air2s out to get a sunset photo but, looking through the eye of the drone, it was all washed out and hardly any colour. I kept the drone hovering whilst making adjustments but the orange glow just wasn’t there. I was using my Ipad connected to the controller so, after landing I disconnected the IPad and took a photo with the IPad and the colours were good. What was I doing wrong. Should I have certain settings on the drone to capture the colours ?

So I took my air2s out to get a sunset photo but, looking through the eye of the drone, it was all washed out and hardly any colour. I kept the drone hovering whilst making adjustments but the orange glow just wasn’t there. I was using my Ipad connected to the controller so, after landing I disconnected the IPad and took a photo with the IPad and the colours were good. What was I doing wrong. Should I have certain settings on the drone to capture the colours ?
Manual ISO might have helped, and alongside that would be to shoot in raw mode as well to make the right colour correction later in post.

Taking a picture with the ipad is 100% unrelated to taking a picture with the drone.
Each has its own camera and its own camera settings.

The obvious, first thing to check is exposure compensation.
If you upload a full-size original jpg to Dropbox, Google Drive or similar and post a link here, I can look into your settings and find the problem.

You've probably done what all of us have at one point or another, the exposure meter in DJI drone cameras is centre weighted and if the gimbal was pointed slightly down, it would have metered for the ground and as a result: blown the sky out.

Reactions: dkderek
Taking a picture with the ipad is 100% unrelated to taking a picture with the drone.
Each has its own camera and its own camera settings.

The obvious, first thing to check is exposure compensation.
If you upload a full-size original jpg to Dropbox, Google Drive or similar and post a link here, I can look into your settings and find the problem.
Will try that. Thanks

I cannot see the image metadata from a screen shot.
But I can see that there's nothing wrong with that image.
If you point the camera at a scene with a small bright sun burning a hole in the middle of the shot and a dark foreground like that, you'll always find that the camera cannot show the whole scene in correct exposure.

The camera doesn't have enough dynamic range to properly expose the sun and the dark foreground together.
Your camera has tried to lighten the large dark foreground and as a result, the small bright sun will always come out overexposed.

To manually expose so that the sun isn't washed out, the rest of the scene would be much darker.
To have the scene looking right, the sun is going to be burned out.
The problem isn't the camera or settings.
It's a limitation of any camera's dynamic range and the composition you were hoping to capture.

Reactions: dkderek
I cannot see the image metadata from a screen shot.
But I can see that there's nothing wrong with that image.
If you point the camera at a scene with a small bright sun burning a hole in the middle of the shot and a dark foreground like that, you'll always find that the camera cannot show the whole scene in correct exposure.

The camera doesn't have enough dynamic range to properly expose the sun and the dark foreground together.
Your camera has tried to lighten the large dark foreground and as a result, the small bright sun will always come out overexposed.

To manually expose so that the sun isn't washed out, the rest of the scene would be much darker.
To have the scene looking right, the sun is going to be burned out.
The problem isn't the camera or settings.
It's a limitation of any camera's dynamic range and the composition you were hoping to capture.
Ok. Got it. Thanks for that

Reactions: Meta4
Make sure you turn on the histogram, and learn how to read it. Also, shoot in Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB). That will give you 5 exposures to choose from, or the option of using an HDR program to bring all of the detail back into the image in post processing.

Make sure you turn on the histogram, and learn how to read it. Also, shoot in Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB). That will give you 5 exposures to choose from, or the option of using an HDR program to bring all of the detail back into the image in post processing.
Thanks for that. I will try that 😊

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne