DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration?

TedShred

Reactions
With my P3A I had to calibrate the compass for the initial use and if I moved 300 miles with it I had to repeat.

I fired up the M2P and it didn't give me any calibration warnings. It flew fine in my very short session.

Is compass calibration a thing of the past with these newer models?

Oh and I love how quiet this thing is. Wow.

It seems to be a bit random with the M2. The firmware clearly includes a check to see if the last calibration was within 30 days and 50 km but, despite that, not everyone is getting calibration prompts. Some aircraft appear to have "last calibration" dates that are years in the future, which explains the direct cause of no prompt in those cases. I haven't seen the DAT files from aircraft that are moved more than 50 km without causing a calibration prompt, so I don't know exactly what is happening there.

Compass calibration is a cure all for some, a placebo for others, and some think it will resolve the worlds problems. I personally have traveled across the entire United States and not once done the silly dance. There is in fact a few things built into the system to let you know there is a potential issue. I remember one guy that claimed he did it EVERY time he flew “so I won’t lose my drone”. Research. I think you will find it not quite as necessary as most think.

Compass calibration is a cure all for some, a placebo for others, and some think it will resolve the worlds problems. I personally have traveled across the entire United States and not once done the silly dance. There is in fact a few things built into the system to let you know there is a potential issue. I remember one guy that claimed he did it EVERY time he flew “so I won’t lose my drone”. Research. I think you will find it not quite as necessary as most think.

Are you flying an M2? When the M2 prompts it doesn't let you takeoff without calibrating first.

Reactions: mereflyer
I think you will find it not quite as necessary as most think.
You got it. It's usually not necessary unless DJI GO is forcing the calibration before a takeoff is allowed.

More details on when to calibrate can be found here.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
I have several. Mp2 Pro. Mp2 zoom. Mp1 white. Mp1. Mp platinum.
The only DJI product I have that gives any clue to a compass issue is the Air. Maybe I’m just lucky.
(and a couple of p4p’s)

Ok, lets say that you just cant stop calibrating your compass. Its just something you enjoy doing. You do it before every flight. What's the worst that can happen, based upon anyones actual flying experience, not just theory?

What's the worst that can happen, based upon anyones actual flying experience, not just theory?
Nothing in my experience. When calibrating incorrectly (like when near a magnetic metal object), the calibration will just fail. It's quite hard (impossible?) to save a bad calibration.

I personally have traveled across the entire United States and not once done the silly dance. .
I go south 2 times a month and is about125 miles. With the MP I never had to do the dance but with the M2P
I have to do it every time and then when I get back I have to do it again .

Reactions: Former Member
I go south 2 times a month and is about125 miles. With the MP I never had to do the dance but with the M2P
I guess I have a “special” one. South several times. Probably I should find some wood to knock on!

That's been my experience too with the M2 - plus every thirty days if you don't travel.

Reactions: dirkclod
That must be newer firmware then. My MP, which is on older firmware, never prompts for calibration.
Same here. I've never seen my MP force a calibration prior to takeoff.

If a compass says compass error, and if I move to a different location and still shows needing calibration, I calibrate it.
A compass error is not the same thing as a prompt to calibrate. If you're actually seeing a prompt to calibrate, you won't be able to start the motors until you successfully calibrate.

If a compass says compass error, and if I move to a different location and still shows needing calibration, I calibrate it.

That may be a different situation. On the M2 it reports magnetic interference and "cannot take off". Checking the compass interference level shows that there is no interference, and the DAT event stream shows that it was triggered by time or distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kento1328